Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

texan

New in Town
Is there any state-side company in the U.S. selling spear-point shirts? I may have missed the thread if this was posted and apologize for bumping that if I did.

Mick

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'm curious if there is a consensus about spear point collars and bow ties. Were bow ties generally worn with these shirts? I've looked for photos, but found very few examples of bow ties with spear point collar shirts; the vast majority are straight ties. The thing that bothers me is the collar points protruding well below the tie. Does this bother any others?

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
I'm curious if there is a consensus about spear point collars and bow ties. Were bow ties generally worn with these shirts?

Yes. That combination was fairly common in the late '20s and '30s. Even tuxedo shirts were made with spear point collars. The one below is from 1936:

Ov_zpsc253e54e.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I'm curious if there is a consensus about spear point collars and bow ties. Were bow ties generally worn with these shirts? I've looked for photos, but found very few examples of bow ties with spear point collar shirts; the vast majority are straight ties. The thing that bothers me is the collar points protruding well below the tie. Does this bother any others?

Well a bow tie is mostly likely not meant to be worn with a spear point collar. Too crowded at the V.

Luxire

Vendor
What exactly are the "easy-to-iron" fabrics? Are they made from treated cloth similar to non-iron shirts?

These are 100% cotton, the cotton is of a higher quality and the yarn is finished for better ironing performance.

In contrast, the non-iron shirts we get in the market are treated with a layer of non-iron coating which gets washed off in a few laundry cycles.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
In the past there has been much discussion around the differences between the British and American collars, and how the British interpretation of spearpoint is less exagerated than their American equivalent.

This an interesting picture since it shows three examples of British collars: On the left the traditional British cutaway collar (denoting the character's stuffy formality); in the centre the long pointed collar (combined with a bold waistcoat to give the character a sense of modernity); and on the right the stiff, formal collar (denoting how old fashioned the man is).

'The Man in the White Suit' (1954)
WhiteSuit2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
8014f1d62ab5a745_cc41shirt-pink-800.jpg

I like their choice of pink stripes. I agree about the need for a longer collar.

I'm not sure about reproducing the label - I can see unscrupulous/ill-informed people trying to offer these as original on ebay in a few years.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
there's also a CC41 cord trouser.

i'm also unsure about the CC41 label; it gets dangerously close to 'knock off designer label' territory.

p.s. mind you i did buy some repro 1930s Talon zips (ex Aero or Eastman stock, can't remember which) that were exact replicas (forgeries to be more precise) so who am i to talk ? :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also like the fabrics and pullover style of the Aero shirts. Collar could be better.

Dinerman is selling a great spearpoint collar silk shirt right now. THIS is a good collar.

261343_437857209624861_668257248_n.jpg

Cobden

Practically Family
not sure if this has already been mentioned. Aero are now doing a spearpoint shirt, complete with a repro CC41 label:

7554f1d6294b7710_cc41shirt-labels-800.jpg

4494f1d5fe39eab1_cc41shirt-500.jpg

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=800

...personally i think the points could have been longer and pointier.

I'm not sure the problem is the points per se - points on all my original British 30s shirts are about 3", which this looks like, and the spread is about right too.

The problem is the rest of the collar - the neckband needs to be smaller (1/2"- 3/4" or there abouts), and the rear of the collar needs to be shallower too - about 1 1/2 inches. That would also make the points appear "pointier", without needing to scale up the collar points to what I consider to be rather more American proportions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran