Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I posted these in the shoes us your shoes thread but come to think of it perhaps they should be in here?
QUOTE=esteban68;1365854]These were bought as part of a deal from my local cobblers, the other pair were Loakes Bedales which are slight seconds(finish)both pair were £200 which means about £150 reduction IIRC.
anyway these a pair of supremely comfortable woodtocks in a 'spectator' style;
2dbm3bb.jpg
20sd7ux.jpg

14mgor4.jpg
35cigk6.jpg
2rftyys.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
These are not vintage but have that "vintage" look. They are a pair of Rockport True-walks that I baught in dark tan and then dyed them to get that two tone spectator look. Supper confy, however my wife thinks I'm crazy for buying a pair of nice shoes knowing I'm going to change the color as soon as I get home. In my defense I say "But Honey, they don't make them the way I have to have them". Makes her more concerned about my sanity .
394583bf.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I kind of like these from Johnson and Murphy. They seem sort of a combo of spectators and saddle shoes. I don't like the horiztonal "stripe" in the heel, though.

dolby.jpg

I've often wondered but never asked: With shoes like these, how in the world do you keep the linen or canvas (or whatever the cloth is) clean?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I kind of like these from Johnson and Murphy. They seem sort of a combo of spectators and saddle shoes. I don't like the horiztonal "stripe" in the heel, though.

dolby.jpg

I've often wondered but never asked: With shoes like these, how in the world do you keep the linen or canvas (or whatever the cloth is) clean?

If some actual dirt gets on the canvas, you allow it to dry and brush it off, if any other dirt/grime, stains gets on the canvas, you can lightly suds up some saddle soap on a terry cloth wash cloth and wash it, trying hard to be gentle so as to not stretch or misshape the canvas and to not get it too soaking wet. Repeating the washing and wiping rinse with a lightly wet clean wash cloth and eventually they can look as clean as new. It is also best to NOT rush drying a shoe with the canvas by use of a hair dryer or placing near heat. What I do is dry them as best as you can with a regular towel, and let them dry over night.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Majestic-Dress-Shoes-Spectators-Brown
41dD3ye-p8L._SX395_.jpg

Does anyone have a pair of these? Look's like a good starter pair of spectators.
Would love a pair of Allen Edmond Strawfut but the price is up there for a first pair.

allenedmonds_shoes_strawfut_brown-linen_l.jpg

Check out a website, piperlime, and search for Frye brand wingtips, all leather nice style and for about $90.00 you have a fairly quality shoe, (they have been giving first time orders a serious discount).

Warbaby

One Too Many

dolby.jpg

I find that a small amount of upholstery cleaner and a toothbrush work wonders.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

dolby.jpg

A sneaker spec???? blasphemy, me says.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Are those soles so different than those often found on saddle shoes?

They are Spectators... and this is the FL. Spectators are "Sport Shoes", YES! However, the definition of Sport Shoes was quite different in the 30's- 50's when Specs were still wildly popular (actually more 30's & 40's). LEATHER SOLES= real shoes. Those things are sneakers. Best worn with a baseball hat.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I just looked at the J&M website... and I am SAD! What a fall from grace. When they re-did their 30's & 40's spades in the late 70's, they made it a legitimate $1000 value shoe. How nicely made. Their site is riddled with Chinese & Indian glued shoes now. Even the so-called "classic style shoes" (wingtips, etc) look more like Italian styles that even Italian makers don't make anymore. The designs look nothing like the Vintage ones that are so wonderful.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I just looked at the J&M website... and I am SAD! What a fall from grace. When they re-did their 30's & 40's spades in the late 70's, they made it a legitimate $1000 value shoe. How nicely made. Their site is riddled with Chinese & Indian glued shoes now. Even the so-called "classic style shoes" (wingtips, etc) look more like Italian styles that even Italian makers don't make anymore. The designs look nothing like the Vintage ones that are so wonderful.
Yes, I also noticed that. Seems to get even a decent pair of new wing tips, the choice is going to head towards buying from an over seas source, or the tumbled leather gunboats from Florsheim.

I can tell you, avoid shoes made in India, I had someone purchase a new pair of Florsheim (non gunboats) and gave them to me for a Xmas gift, they are junk, the first time I wore them, the outer leather (was not really leather) "popped" right off the shoe! They looked really nice, until they were walked in for about 4 minutes, then "pop" what they called leather just popped right off. The shoes look like a bad case of peeled skin from a sun burn. I examined what the label says, "Made in India"....Florsheim comfortech.... junk. I still have them, I think I will use them for target practice! LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany