Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spider-Man 3

FedoraGent

One Too Many
It was great sequel

Folks,

I had the chance to steal away a few days ago and watch this all by my lonesome. I really did like it, and although it was kitchy in a few places...it did entertain.

FG.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I loved it! It was probably my favorite of the 3.

My grandparents just saw Spiderman 1 on tv the other night and today at lunch my grandpa was all excited telling me about how Spiderman was learning to use his web shooters. I need to take SpMan2 over for them to watch.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
I saw it and really found it bloated and far too long.

What made this worse was the decision by parents to take 5 year olds in to see it. In the UK it is rated 12A. The 2hrs 20mins was more than they could stand (or sit). Even worse was a parent's decision to bring their turette suffering son into see it. They had to leave after 30 mins.

So, not a film I will see again. Though Bruce Campbell made me smile as usual.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I loved it!!! The special effects sequences are even better than the last 2. I didn't think I would like Thomas Hayden Church as the Sandman, but actually thought he did a good job. The black suit and story behind it was a pretty interesting touch. I went to see it on the IMAX screen, this is definitely one of those movies to go see in a theater with larger screen and enhanced sound system. Great Start to the Summer Season!!..............

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I also really liked it. As a huge Spiderman fan from waaaaaay back, okay 15 years, I must say that they did a fine job. Sure, I would have liked it to feature either Sandman or Venom but they did the best they could to balance the two. I also would have liked less lame dancing by Peter and more character development for Venom. He is a very different character and they really did not give much time to explain him very well. I thought the CGI was amazing but some scenes when on a little too long, like the fight between Harry and Peter at the beginning. Overall, I thought it was a great action movie with just enough humor thrown in. But, that is just my opinion. I could be wrong...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Took the kids this weekend...

Very enjoyable, but I found it a little too long and thought it had some messy story problems in the second and third acts. Great effects work, and very much of a piece with the first two, but starting to get a little self-indulgent. (E.g., weak singing by MJ, lame comic reflief with Jameson and the little girl during the climactic battle, "bad boy" Peter going on too long.) And I agree with the too-many-villains criticism: it would have been better to have left Venom for the next movie(?) and made this one 20 minutes shorter.

It's the classic case of a trilogy starting with a lean/mean first part that seems utterly new and wonderful, graduating to a deeper/richer (and more expensive) second part that's even better, then a repetative/dragged-out, self-indulgent third part that's got spectactular moments, but just isn't as impressive as part two. Original Star Wars Trilogy, anyone?

Anyway, it was fun, but they should quit now. Whether they change directors and/or recast or not, we're entering the diminishing-returns phase... Of course, with the obscene amounts of money the film is making, there will be *enormous* pressure from the suits to make another sequel!

(My Spidey cred: Read when I was in college in the early 70s, still have stacks of books, including a copy of #121 - where the Goblin kills Gwen Stacy. Like most older 60s/70s comics fans, I never much warmed to the whole black-costume/Venom plotline, and would have much preferred to see Mysterio, the Vulture, the Lizard, etc. But I realize that the younger fans have to be served too.)

Zig2k143

Practically Family
It was ok.. From being a Comic reader from the 70's I didn't like the Gwen Stacy story line.... I wont say anymore because I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it.

Feraud

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
, and would have much preferred to see Mysterio, the Vulture, the Lizard, etc. But I realize that the younger fans have to be served too.)
I read The Vulture was main villain in the early script but changed to Venom.

Jovan

Suspended
Dr. Strange: I don't know about you, but Return of the Jedi was amazing to me. Comparing it to Spider-Man 3 is quite a disservice. They're not equal in terms of greatness at all.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm certainly not the only person who felt that Return of the Jedi was a bit of a comedown from Empire. I still loved alot of it, but never understood why - given the budget to do *anything* - the best climax that they could come up with was to destroy the Death Star *again*. (Of course, the cross-cut sequence of Luke, Vader, and the Emperor was the film's real climax, with the Death Star just providing some exciting effects shoot'em-up.)

And I wasn't talking "greatness", just comparing the *pattern* that film trilogies often follow.

Hey, if you read my other comments on movies here, you'll see that I'm a tough room! I'm obviously hyper-critical, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me...

And I was already out of college when Star Wars came out in 1977, so I have a *very* different perspective on these movies than folks who saw them as impressionable kids... which is most folks, nowadays. (And for all our sakes, don't even get me started on the prequel trilogy.)

Jovan

Suspended
Well, the reasoning behind it is as follows. George Lucas was originally going to lead up to a planet destroying weapon in the third episode, but moved it up to the first so he could have an exciting climax. (Annnd make his movie sellable.) Thus, he made it so the Empire would have a second, bigger, badder one that didn't have the same weakness as the first superweapon -- but would require exciting sequences such as going down the thing's throat to destroy it. :)

I thought the second Death Star offered a lot of wonderfully done space battles (better than even Episode III's, IMO, but perhaps this is on purpose) and a chance to show Lando's leadership qualities as well. The meat, of course, is the confrontation between Luke and Vader, and Luke's dangerously close skirt to the dark side. Not to mention Vader essentially being the one who brings balance to the Force.

So, despite the slightly unoriginal things about it, I think Jedi is the best one. It really made you feel the whole "this-is-it"-ness of everything going on and had a touching conclusion.

Just my two Republic credits. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany