Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

July 8th ~ FL Star of the Week : Ida Lupino

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
*This Week's FL Star of the Week is the Incredible Ida Lupino*

It's no exaggeration to say that Ida Lupino was born to be in the entertainment business. Her father was a famous dance hall performer in England, and her mother was known as the fastest tap dancer alive. She began performing at 10, entered the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art at 13, and first appeared on film at 15.

But while she did fulfill her early promise and became a movie star, and later on one of the most prolific women directors in Hollywood history, she never quite reached the top rank of movie people. She did it all, though.

Born in England (On February 4 in either 1914 or 1918, depending on which biography you read), Ida Lupino eventually found her way to Hollywood in 1935, with advance billing as the "Jean Harlow of England," but her talent was wasted in second-rate films. In 1938, at the ripe old age of 18, she decided not to renew her contract with Paramount, and became an independent.

Dumping the platinum blonde hair and heavy makeup, she returned to her normal dark hair color, and fought her way into a role in the William Wellman-directed The Light That Failed (1939), gaining critical acclaim. This was followed by more B films, but also some meaty roles in They Drive by Night (1940), High Sierra (1941), and The Hard Way (1942); she won the New York Film Critics Award as best actress for the latter film.

In 1948 she and her husband Collier Young formed their own filmmaking company, The Filmmakers. In 1950, when the directory of Not Wanted suffered a heart attack, Ida took over as director; it was the start of another career for her. She directed five more films for her company, and was described as an actor's director. Her films mostly tackled themes that other movie companies didn't deal with, and approached them in an uncompromising manner.

Lupino continued both her acting and directing careers in the 1950s, but by 1956 made the transition to television, as both an actor and a director. She directed episodes of shows such as The Untouchables, The Fugitive, and Bewitched, and appeared as a guest star on Bonanza, Columbo, and Charlie's Angels, among others. Her last theatrical film directing job was The Trouble With Angels (1966), starring Rosalind Russell and Hayley Mills.

Lupino had one daughter, with her third husband, Howard Duff, who she married in 1951 and divorced in 1984. She formally retired from movies and TV in 1978, and died of a stroke on August 3, 1995. She was a strong voice for women in films, and a great credit to her show business family. Please enjoy this tribute article, originally written in honor of either her 85th or 89th birthday, depending on who you believe. Either way, we salute her.

*Above Bio Info From http://www.classicmovies.org/articles/aa012603a.htm

Wikipedia Profile Information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ida_Lupino

IMDB Filmography
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0526946/

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Ida Lupino was TCM's June Star of the month and they did a great
job with showing the films that she was in and the one's she
directed.

I watched her 1950 film she directed called "Outrage"
and it was an amazing film for it's time because the
subject matter was on the taboo subject of rape.
The word 'rape' is never mentioned once, however
she did such an outstanding job bringing the seedy elements
of rape to the screen without crossing that line that the
Hays Code watched out for.

She was an outstanding director.She had a knack for being able to take taboo
subjects and bring them to the screen all the while keeping you on
the edge of your seat. her achievements in
such films as "The Hitch-Hiker" and "The Bigamist" is really phenom
for the day and especially her being a female director.
You could tell that the people that worked on these films must
have really liked her because they all put in great performances.

I have only seen her acting in a handful of films. I found her better in
the more dramatic roles. The lighthearted roles were not bad,
but I felt more impact from her in the dramas. I suppose the serious
film subjects is what she might have liked to do best
because she would direct more dramatic films.

She was a woman ahead of her times and she tackled subject
matters of the day that were not to be discussed in public.

I admire this woman!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
The only time I've seen her was on The Twilight Zone. She played a washed-out Hollywood star who had a more than healthy obsession with her days of glory and spent most of her life watching her old films.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Great in They Drive By Night and On Dangerous Ground. I had no idea that she also directed some of On Dangerous Ground. (Nicholas Ray did seem to have a lot of "partial" projects; Macao comes to mind.)

Sunny

One Too Many
Ida Lupino guest-starred in a number of Suspense radio episodes from the early 1940s. They are excellent dramatic roles, I can tell you! I can make them available here if anyone's interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails