Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sponge rollers---your looks and suggestions?

Cricket

Practically Family
Thanks, i will try the larger sizes and the brush. I am not even sure if I should be worrying about taming my hair since I already have a natural wave to it. I will post a pic of my hair without doing anything to it soon to see if there are any other suggestions.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Just popping in here... and please excuse if this has already been said....

One main thing you need to be sure of while rolling on sponge, and rag rollers, is to mind your tension. If you are winding too tight, it will cause frizz.

If your foam rollers are incredibly scrunched up, like as small as the inner plastic core when you take them out, then you are pulling too hard while rolling your hair.

Practice rolling very smooth, with little tension. Hope this helps!

Also, try to make each section you roll the same size. About the same width and lenth as the roller you are using.
So, if your pink roller is about 3 inches long, and it's about an inch wide, that's how big your section of hair should be.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Cricket said:
Also, I have naturally curly hair. I just wanted to do the foam follers to get a tamed look instead of the wild wavy unruly hair that I have naturally.

Well, I have curly hair too (very curly, not wavy). I think this makes things more difficult for us. I also think that coarse hair reacts very differently from fine hair. Mine is coarse and very curly, which is a perfect recipe for frizz lol I haven't had to deal with other people's hair so I can only speak from my personal experience.

Curly hair holds the curls very well, so I haven't found that I need setting lotion. Instead I need something to tame the frizz, which is my usual leave in, and a similar treatment of my hair than that I use when I want defined, natural air dried curls: no combing, no brushing! hair that isn't saturated with water, and no messing with it until it is dry.
So to make my hair wavy instead of curly (as you see in my avatar), I use big rollers (3 to 5 cm in diameter). I have used mostly velcro rollers because my coarse hair is very heavy and it easily falls out of other rollers, but I hear velcro rollers can be very damaging of fine hair, that they tend to tangle.

For me, it is important to put the rollers in before the hair dries even a little bit, and after using my usual amount of leave in, this of course lenghtens the drying time a lot, but the alternative is a recipe for frizz I am afraid [huh]

It is very important to not disturb the rollers until the hair is thoroughly dry. Unfortunately this takes up to 8 hours for me lol

My question is this:
What is the placement scheme of the rollers upon your head?

I guess this would depend on the style you are going for [huh] best is to experiment.

Also, what is the correct brush to be used to brush out your curls? When you do brush it out, is it more of a separating motion or do I really need to get in there and do some super brushing?

Be careful with the brush. Start combing with your fingers, that may be enough. If your hair allows, you can go on to a pick, a comb and a brush if necessary. I find I can only use a brush after a few days of taking the rollers out, when the curl has fallen out slightly, and I have to apply some (a lot actually, but that may just be my porous, dry hair) oil, coconut, jojoba, etc. otherwise: frizz :p

Today I received my first set of foam rollers :D I have been wanting to try them for some time but I haven't seen them anywhere locally, at leas at a reasonable size for me. I am hoping they are comfortable to sleep in, since sleeping in big, hard rollers... I just find it impossible. But then, maybe sleeping in them flattens them and the result will be spoiled?

I ordered them on Ebay from an US shop, and the shipping to Europe was very reasonable. I bought these because they were the widest I could find (1 1/2" I think), plus, they are lined with "satin" (and they come in black, hee!). I think the satin (not the greatest quality of course) may help with the frizz too.

So well... I guess I'll be reporting back ;)

Cricket

Practically Family
I slept in my foam rollers during my first attempt. I actually got a good night sleep. I didn't even realize they were in my hair. As far as flattening the curls, I still woke up with those dreaded poodle curls that I spoke of earlier. lol

Here is a photo of me when I don't do anything to my hair but blow dry it a little after putting a frizz creme in it.

headshot.jpg
[/IMG]

Should I not set it and just experiment with what I have? I am not quite sure if my curls looks too 80s. lol Cause I assure you I am not going for that look.
Also, the highlights were horrible. My hair is back to its natural darks brown.

This is a shot of my hair color now, Back to natural. Only it is shoulder length, thus cutting some of the weight down making it curl better. This is what it looks like when I let it grow out.

boxing.jpg
[/IMG]

This is another shot under a hat. You can kind of see the curl that I have to work with.

cap.jpg
[/IMG]

I am not sure if I should just work with my curls or try to smooth them out into smooth waves with the foam rollers.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
After I started to work more of a vintage look on a daily basis I began to use the large size (large not "jumbo") foam rollers. Here are tow pictures of me, before and after...
2008.jpg
000_0129.jpg

What I do is blow-dry my hair in sections with a big round brush until it's almost totally dry, then roll each section on a foam roller when I get done drying it. I use about 10 large-size rollers all over my head, and I let them sit while I put on makeup. Then I comb them out with a wide-tooth comb and voila! The whole process takes about a half hour. The second pic above was taken about 10 minutes after I took the rollers out. Good luck!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Elina said:
Hey all!

I need som help... I've been searching for sponge/foam rollers for such a long time, but it seems like you can't find them here in Sweden...! I haven't though, not in the size I want them in (medium, 3/4")

Hi Elina,

I don´t know what a size 3/4 is, but we have foam-rollers here. I can send you some if you want me to and in exchange you could send me some Viva la Diva eye-shadows :) Shipping to sweden shouldn´t be that expensive from here.

Have a nice Sunday,
Sari

shamrocq

New in Town
Elina said:
I've been looking at these kinds of rollers on some american sites, but the shipping is sooo expensive for Sweden..! :( :eek:

Hi Elina, would you share which american site you looked into which offers to ship internationally? I'm having trouble finding a site that ship internationally at all. I found a few eBay vendors but most i found don't have a 100% good feedback from them.

Thanks a bunch.

shamrocq

New in Town
Which foam rollers are better?

shamrocq said:
Hi Elina, would you share which american site you looked into which offers to ship internationally?

Found some!

Does anyone know or used foam rollers by Goody or Diane? Which ones are better? Or if anyone know another good brand to recommend.

Thank you very much

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I didn't really see anything for sponge/foam rollers, so if there is one, let me know.

I have some sponge rollers and want to know some good patterns or looks I can do with them.

Give me your best ideas please! :)

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I actually have my hair in sponge rollers right now and I took lots of pictures of the set so I will post them when and if it is any good.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've got a Hallowe'en party on Friday, so I'll take pictures of my set tomorrow. I also posted a diagram in the "Show us your Hairdo's" thread for Bette Grable Bangs.

Wheres Christy, she uses sponge rollers for her sets too.

Christy

One of the Regulars
I do use sponge rollers also. I usually always use the large pink ones. You can see some of my hair styles in the "Show us your hair dos" thread. I usually just set my hair in a sort of random pattern. When I first started out with setting my hair I would use random patterns and it just came down to trial and error until I found what I like. So, I use around the same pattern all the time but it can vary. After that I just brush it out. I usually just stick with the same hair style because I'm not good at updos.

Lillemor

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Just popping in here... and please excuse if this has already been said....

One main thing you need to be sure of while rolling on sponge, and rag rollers, is to mind your tension. If you are winding too tight, it will cause frizz.

If your foam rollers are incredibly scrunched up, like as small as the inner plastic core when you take them out, then you are pulling too hard while rolling your hair.

Practice rolling very smooth, with little tension. Hope this helps!

Also, try to make each section you roll the same size. About the same width and lenth as the roller you are using.
So, if your pink roller is about 3 inches long, and it's about an inch wide, that's how big your section of hair should be.

If someone had explained this to me I may not unnecessarily have broken off so many hairs and nearly had to cut some foam rollers out. I was actually adviced to place extra tension on the section of hair being rolled. I'm sure the person had the best of intensions. I'm not holding anyone else accountable.:)

I have the middle and large size. Might give them a try some time again...soon.

crwritt

One Too Many
Cricket said:
I also had a question about foam rollers. I am not sure if this would be the correct place to put this post, so feel free to move it if you have to.

I bought my first set of foam rollers yesterday, and I set my hair before going to bed. This morning when I unrolled them, it looked horrible. So I thought about the FL and how everyone says to brush it out to eliminate the "poodle" look. I did that and I got a frizz cloud. I ended up getting back under the water and speed drying before work.

Also, I have naturally curly hair. I just wanted to do the foam follers to get a tamed look instead of the wild wavy unruly hair that I have naturally.

My question is this:
What is the placement scheme of the rollers upon your head? I have about 50 foam rollers and they range in all sizes. What sizes go where? I put a lot of the smallest rollers around my face and I looked like a female version of Richard Simmons lol

Also, what is the correct brush to be used to brush out your curls? When you do brush it out, is it more of a separating motion or do I really need to get in there and do some super brushing?

Thanks ladies, I need your advice because my son started crying when I woke him up this morning for school. lol

My Mom used these on my hair and my sister's hair when we were kids. We had naturally curly hair, shoulder length. She would use dippity do gel and part our hair as we would be wearing it, smooth it down as necessary, then just use the rollers in one row at the bottom of the hair.

If you want a tamed look, use the biggest rollers you have, so you can do fairly large sections. Use three or four straight back on the crown and down the back of your head, then two or three on each side rolling downward behind your ears, then one, maybe two more on each side rolling toward your face.

Judging from your natural curl, decide if you want the curl to come out tighter or looser than your natural. a smaller roller will give you a tighter curl.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:
If someone had explained this to me I may not unnecessarily have broken off so many hairs and nearly had to cut some foam rollers out. I was actually adviced to place extra tension on the section of hair being rolled. I'm sure the person had the best of intensions. I'm not holding anyone else accountable.:)

I have the middle and large size. Might give them a try some time again...soon.

:eek: I usually always roll my hair too tight, not on purpose but I still haven't gotten the hang of not rolling it too tight, but I've never had anything like that happen! The only problem is the ends are in a tight curl, which is o.k. When you take your sponge rollers out do you unwind/unroll them or just try to pull them out? That's the only way I could see the roller getting stuck.

Also, my advice with sponge curlers is to make sure the ends lay flat, or aren't sticking out because that will make the curl look bad. If you're unable to get the ends to cooperate, get some end papers, those work really well.

Antje

One Too Many
I was on a pincurl routine the last months, but this thread reminded me to take my sponge rollers out,
I had a nice set yesterday with them, I think I'm now on a sponge roller routine for the upcoming time

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Christy said:
Also, my advice with sponge curlers is to make sure the ends lay flat, or aren't sticking out because that will make the curl look bad. If you're unable to get the ends to cooperate, get some end papers, those work really well.

I agree. If the ends are wonky, especially when rolled tightly, they'll come out knotted and frizzy. A good brushing can usually fix it, but it's better to avoid it. I usually press them down with my thumb for the first roll, then let go after the hair is keeping them in place.

Rolling tightly also warps the sponges prematurely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21