Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sponge rollers---your looks and suggestions?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
shamrocq said:
Found some!

Does anyone know or used foam rollers by Goody or Diane? Which ones are better? Or if anyone know another good brand to recommend.

Thank you very much
I don't have much experience with them, but Goody is a standard hair accessory brand here. I've never heard of Diane.

LadyLuck

New in Town
I have the Goody rollers that are the little foam squares on a wire, all in a little fabric sheath. They work quite well. Their round rollers, however, have never worked for me.

Lately, I've had more success with pin curls than I have with sponge rollers. The problem with pin curls is that they take about two hours to put in. But the curls are fabulous for a couple of days afterword.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Well I have had sponge/foam roller for a few weeks now and have tried all sorts of sets, they all turn out horribly. It boils down to I just have too much hair, it can't dry with them in there. So I will just stick to pin-curls, and even then some time those aren't dry by the time I need them to be.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Grant Fan - We'll see if I fall into the same category. I'm trying foam curlers for the first time in a few years (a Scunci set - came in 4 colors/sizes). I wet my hair and applied some Depp gel for hold while I rolled sections. Even though I went for small sections, the curlers ended up packed (long hair).
The last time I did this, my hair was a few inches shorter, and the curls didn't come out well.

I may have better luck when I get my hair cut next week, and I'm hoping Walmart has my bonnet dryer (ordered 'site to store'). My hair is naturally curly, and the dryer may help out, along with shorter hair.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
LadyLuck said:
I have the Goody rollers that are the little foam squares on a wire, all in a little fabric sheath. They work quite well. Their round rollers, however, have never worked for me.

Lately, I've had more success with pin curls than I have with sponge rollers. The problem with pin curls is that they take about two hours to put in. But the curls are fabulous for a couple of days afterword.

I have actually thought about buying the Goody Pillow rollers to see what they would be like.. but my hair takes forever to dry and I would probably have to buy two boxed cause just one wont due...
What are the waves like with the pillow rollers?

Tatum

Practically Family
LelaViavonie said:
I have actually thought about buying the Goody Pillow rollers to see what they would be like.. but my hair takes forever to dry and I would probably have to buy two boxed cause just one wont due...
What are the waves like with the pillow rollers?

The sponge rollers can give a different curl depending on how tight you roll them. I have lots of thick hair too, so I feel your frustration! Here is a pic of my hair from last year where I did three big pincurls on the crown, but the rest of the back was with the sponge rollers.

082008.jpg

Oh, and I totally recommend you buying two boxes! I have to use two to do my whole head!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
With the old fashioned sponge on a plastic stick type (where the end locks onto the other end of the plastic rod) I've found the best thing is, dry hair to start. Spritz with light spray of water. then some mousse, work it through then set your curlers in place and sleep on em.

My hair is thick and already curly and I get a great set with these! I'll post photos when I can. Ise also only use my fingers to separate the curl and then I run a little Frizz Ease finishing cream through (or just moisturiser! I discovered in a hotel emergencylol )
K

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Kitty_Sheridan said:
With the old fashioned sponge on a plastic stick type (where the end locks onto the other end of the plastic rod) I've found the best thing is, dry hair to start. Spritz with light spray of water. then some mousse, work it through then set your curlers in place and sleep on em.

These are the kind I use. However, since my hair is straighter than Clint Eastwood, I have to do wet sets - otherwise I get large waves. I towel dry my hair, then use mousse (I use Big Sexy Hair). I do my setting, wrap a small turban around my head, and go to sleep!

I get 12 rollers per package for $3.00 at the Beauty Supply Outlet. :)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I've tried sponge rollers several times so far, because whatever set I do I have to slip on it otherwise I don't get the curls my hair being of the straight kind, the one that doesn't take a curl easily. After quite a few sets I have to say I am not happy with them as the curls are not tight enough for my liking. The strands of hair are curled mostly towards the ends, and that is just not good enough. I can't do wetter sets then damp sets, for the reason that my hair is very long and if it's saturated with moisture it won't get dry until the morning. And I am talking 10 till 7. If I had a day and a night at disposal to dry my set, than yes. However that is not happening. So I had to go back to the perm rods, and there's no need to tell you ladies the sleepless nights I get in those...

Smuterella

One Too Many
crazydaisy said:
I've tried sponge rollers several times so far, because whatever set I do I have to slip on it otherwise I don't get the curls my hair being of the straight kind, the one that doesn't take a curl easily. After quite a few sets I have to say I am not happy with them as the curls are not tight enough for my liking. The strands of hair are curled mostly towards the ends, and that is just not good enough. I can't do wetter sets then damp sets, for the reason that my hair is very long and if it's saturated with moisture it won't get dry until the morning. And I am talking 10 till 7. If I had a day and a night at disposal to dry my set, than yes. However that is not happening. So I had to go back to the perm rods, and there's no need to tell you ladies the sleepless nights I get in those...

with you 100%

Lillemor

One Too Many
Tatum said:
The sponge rollers can give a different curl depending on how tight you roll them. I have lots of thick hair too, so I feel your frustration! Here is a pic of my hair from last year where I did three big pincurls on the crown, but the rest of the back was with the sponge rollers.

082008.jpg

Oh, and I totally recommend you buying two boxes! I have to use two to do my whole head!

Wow that looks really good. I've never had results that nice. I bought two sets too.

Tatum

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
Wow that looks really good. I've never had results that nice. I bought two sets too.

I did it the night before around 10 pm, and didn't pull them out to style until probably 3 pm the next day. I used something other than LottaBody (I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, but it is made by Got 2B and comes in a neon green bottle). I needed more sleep than I would get on regular rollers!

Tatum

Practically Family
Alrighty, I did some experimenting....

Considering that I have to figure out the best way to do my hair for Halloween, I figured trying the sponge rollers would be a good place to start, and it kills two birds with one stone, showing what happens when I use them. (Plus, I haven't used them much since my hair has gotten this long.)

So, here we go...this is after taking the rollers out. I forgot to take any pics of the set, but it wasn't anything special! The ones that are tighter (the front) I had less hair in.

10-26-09_-1412.jpg

You can see more pics here, I didn't want to flood the thread, but I will post after-brushing pics in the Hairdos thread.

Mrs Beattie

New in Town
I have always bought my rollers from little pharmacy shops here in Scotland, and they cost very little. I agree they are the easiest to sleep in, but my hair is very thick and heavy and it is still damp in the morning more often than not. :(

Cricket

Practically Family
Tatum said:
Considering that I have to figure out the best way to do my hair for Halloween, I figured trying the sponge rollers would be a good place to start, and it kills two birds with one stone, showing what happens when I use them. (Plus, I haven't used them much since my hair has gotten this long.)

So, here we go...this is after taking the rollers out. I forgot to take any pics of the set, but it wasn't anything special! The ones that are tighter (the front) I had less hair in.

10-26-09_-1412.jpg

You can see more pics here, I didn't want to flood the thread, but I will post after-brushing pics in the Hairdos thread.

I have naturally curly hair that simply needs taming. When I do sleep a night with my sponge rollers, it tends to look like your before brushing photos.

The only difference in our post hair is that I look like a frizzy poodle. lol

What is your brushing technique? I know this may sound like a silly question but I am curious if I am using the right brush or if I am brushing it out wrong?

Tatum

Practically Family
vampygirl13,

I think they were something like this...this is how I set my hair when I am not sure what I want to do, or feeling lazy, because it is pretty flexible. I did NOT section anything except the front, where I do a side part and make sure that I have three rollers on the top of my head (pretend I'm doing a "square" part), and I make sure that the sides go from my face to just behind my ears. The rest it, I just try to get it like the diagram...I grab some hair from that area and go for it...

sponge-diagram.jpg

Cricket,
Just keep brushing! Brushbrushbrush. Lisa Freemont Street actually has a wonderful video tutorial on how to brush, you can see it here. I use a similar technique, where I brush the hair onto and around my palms. I have found that with my hair (which is naturally wavy but I have a body wave in, and SUPER thick), using a natural bristle brush makes me frizz out. I have an old plastic bristle brush from a vanity set that brushes me out well, as well as a cheesy brush like this...I really think that you have to try out different brushes and get the technique down, as it took me a while to find what worked for me.

000033307000057.main.jpg

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I love sponge rollers! We've been good friends since I was a kid in dancing school and my mom would set my hair in them the night before my recitals. They really work better than any other roller set. Only pincurls are comparable in the area of success I've had with a set.

I think the ones I use now are a mixture of Goody and Annie brand(from the 99 cent store) in the pink medium size. I also have a conair multi-sized set. It seems like they don't differ much from brand to brand.

I actually did a sponge roller set last night for the first time in a while and I'm loving my hair today. Of course I have no camera to show it off. :rolleyes:

Cricket

Practically Family
Thanks Tatum! I will try your suggestions, and I think I have a brush similar to that one. I have tried so many ways. I have used a pick-like brush to seperate the tamed curls. I have used an older brush that my grandmother used, and it made one poofy mess.

I will try this technique on my next set. If it doesn't work...braid time. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ