Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squadron Patches

Rooster

Practically Family
I am in the process of putting together a replica WWII Captains Bush jacket of the British 7th armored, 11th Hussars. I dont figure I will offend anyone.....
I am filling out the rest of the uniform as well.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Completely, totally and absolutely :eek:fftopic: but...

If you haven't read it already Spitty James Goodson's "Tumult in the Clouds" is a great read from one of the Eagles and one of the great personalities of the 4FG.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: too.
I know it and read it couple of years ago. Great book.
Do you know "Look of Eagles" by John Godfrey? It's hard to get - but worth every penny.

MudInYerEye said:
I wear my 1980's polyester Army officer's tunic with the insignia and nametag of Oliver North my hero. If anybody gives me any flak about this I will be happy to knock their teeth out with my shiny brass knuckles. Lights out.

I believe ya Mud. I think you're tethered to those Knucks...
Here's one of mine...
100_0386.jpg

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
HoosierDaddy said:
Yezzir..The Cheezer himself. Jacket is a RealDeal..fav wearer of the bunch.
HD

Who?

Thanks Van and George .One of my favorites too!

256391733.jpg

You favorite lactose intolerant cheddar head
Jerome

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
As a side note... I seem to remember the patch in "The Natural" was described by Hobbs as a some kind of squadron insignia. I assume this was invented for the film. Does anyone know if it matches anything historically?

pp-natural4.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

D

Dudleydoright

To patch or not to patch......

that is the question.

Greeting from a new guy. Although I see a few familiar faces from the VLJ forum. Hi guys !:)

I agree that anything you do will upset a few and not be noticed by the many and appreciated by those who matter. I have put two pics up here that show two Eastman goat A-2's. One with and one without patches. The patched one is my tribute to Don Blakeslee who flew out of Debden, a base close to where i now live. The plain one I use when I don't want to attract attention.
ELC04.jpg

after.jpg

Dave

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Both are great jackets, wear them proudly.

I really like the russet goat one.

My dad is 63. He is responsible for my interest in all aviation and appreciation of of our military.

That and I have lived my life around General Billy Mitchell International airport here in Milwaukee which also houses the 440th airlift wing and the 128th air refueling wing.

I have been around it my whole life.

I painted a B-3 for my dad about 4 years ago and I don't know if it's his age but when we go out I usually wear plain A-2's. The response he gets is really tremendous for the jacket and appreciative from older vets and the current Air force guys around here.

We were at the grocery store this winter when he had a vet of the 392nd bomb group come up to him an start to tell him his stories.

I have seen they guy at the airshows around here and I always remember him telling my dad that he wore his b-3 all the time and that he hadn't seen one that beautiful since WW2.

Stuff like that makes me all sqiushy inside and really proud of what I do.

So yea .I really think it is more appreciated than anything.

Jerome

D

Dudleydoright

Thanks Jerome

Glad someone else like my jackets !! Although I have subsequently removed the Capts bars as a little OTT :rolleyes:

I'm a HUGE fan of your artwork :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,

Dave

Rooster

Practically Family
Capts bars aren't over the top at all, in fact they look great. I just put slip on Brit Capt's rank insignia on the epalets of my Brit bush jacket....pretty snappy looking.
When you get right down to it, you're average idiot on the street wouldn't know Capt's bars from Hershey bars.....lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Indy Magnoli said:
As a side note... I seem to remember the patch in "The Natural" was described by Hobbs as a some kind of squadron insignia. I assume this was invented for the film. Does anyone know if it matches anything historically?

pp-natural4.jpg
A little too easily mixed up with this perhaps.
534541006_a6d49b0146.jpg

The confusion could upset one type of reactionary dolt, or invite unwanted attention from another type.

D

Dudleydoright

Shoulder bars

Hi Rooster,
I took the bars off my A-2 because they were bullion and therefore VERY thick. If they's been plain cotton sewn on leather or parinted or even leather sewn on leather, I would've probably kept them but the silver bullion is VERY bright and too complicated for a simple jacket like the A-2 IMVHO.

Cheers :)

Dave

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I've painted one jacket and put the patch of the 56th FG on the front.
Why?

First, the P-47 is my favorite WW2 fighter and since the 56th was a major user of the P47, the choice came naturally.

Second, the 56th FG no longer exists (though the 56 Fighter Wing does under a similar patch) so it is my way of preserving its memory and the memory of those who fought in it.

Third, it's a way to revive the lost art of painted jackets. Vets love to see young people taking an interest in what they did when they were young.

Fourth, it's unique and few people do it nowadays.

DSCF1169-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes