Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squadron Patches

CBI

One Too Many
th_IMG_3505.jpg

sorry, still playing with photos. Yes I think I know the recent jacket you might be refering to.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Positioning of patches...

Squadron Patch on left breast, Group Patch on right breast (is the common formula). Hope that helps.

Mr. 'H' said:
Are squadron patches supposed to be worn on the right or left breast?
Just occured to me as I've seen both in pictures....

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Squadron Patch on left breast, Group Patch on right breast (is the common formula). Hope that helps.

But Paddy, would it be OK to wear a group patch and not a squadron patch so only have one patch but it's on the right breast?

CBI

One Too Many
If you were to wear only a group patch, then that would go on the left breast.

If you are thinking of patching a jacket, its worth the extra $50 to get one of Jon McGuire's Flight Jacket books (sometimes a good deal on Amazon). Full of examples of patch placement.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
This, however, does not mean that I would fault someone for patching their own jacket. It obviously is done out of respect for an era. Someone who shows respect for an era is given respect by those who lived in that era. The only time it becomes a problem is when the person with the patched flight jacket is trying to be someone he is not. Obviously a fifty year old guy with a WWII patched flight jacket is not posing as a WWII bombardier.

So, patch as you please, just don't try to be that which you are not.

I agree. My twist on the whole jacket/patch/wings thing is this. I own a M-422A, a jacket that preceded the current/famous USN G-1.

Being that a real M-422A would be that of a pre-war/early war Naval Aviator, I went with the VT-2 patch (the round black bomb with fuse riding a torpedo) for the jacket. As most of ya'll know, VT is representative of a torpedo squadron (obviously something not in the current or even near past naval inventories). Additionally, Flight Suits has an original WWII wing die and they emboss it onto a historically correct Naval Aviator nametag to go with these historical jackets.

The wings on early WWII nametags are different from the current Naval Aviator wings. They are more angular than the current wings and are completely filled in with gold foil. Current issue wings have curved feathers merely outlined in gold.

Still more, I am a member of the military at the grade of O-3 and I additionally belong to the Commemorative Air Force (CAF). I have my real name, real paygrade and CAF (instead of USN or USNR) embossed in historically correct sequence on the nametag.

OCD? Probably! But it falls into the realm of historical jacket, historical unit patch and historical style insignia...all with real data. I think I cover the bases of a realistic respect for an era and those who served and sacrificed...without dishonor or portrayal of something I'm not.

I guess as real and historical as can be had!

And as a plug for the guy who custom made my patch. He did a perfect job.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1751398&a=13490869&f=

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Have we decided...?

Is there a definitive resourse for researching patches?

Seems a great pity if there isn't.

:(

Not sure how much this will help, but this guy seems to cover a wide variety.

http://members.aol.com/brimiljeep/WebPages/SquadronPatchPage.html

You have to scroll down past all the text and fire pictures...about 1/2 way down the page.

If nothing else, it's neat to look at.

JLStorm

Practically Family
IMO putting on any markings for real military units you were not part of is just plain disrespectful to the point of being insulting to those who served.

If you didnt serve, dont fake it, you need to earn the right to be able to wear those markings.

If you must put something on a jacket make sure it doesnt get confused with the real unit.

IMO the only exception to this is if your immediate family served in the unit and you are honoring them, and even that can be debatable at times.

Of course you can choose to disregard this, and if the insignia is old enough no one might notice or care, but best be prepared to get some strange looks and perhaps some very angry words from someone who actually served.

Finally found a suitable pic--my new av's the unit-patch for a squadron that both of the men who acted as fathers to me (albeit at different times in life) were in. 318th FIS "Green Dragons", McChord AFB.

In the vein of JLS's point, I "wear" the patch as my av over on the F-106 board (and for now here too) in their honor.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
This has all been about USAAF patches - how about RAF?
I know that the squadronpatches were worn on the white (prestige) flying suits in beginning of the WWII. Later to be removed for security reasons.
But did RAF pilots/aircrew wear squadronpatches in any othe way, later in the war? I have never seen it on photos - but what do I know...
Any thoughts, gents?

Paden

Vendor
The was no standard in the "Luftwaffe".
On the jackets, they had only the ranks, no squadron insigna.
We make embroided versions of the squadron insigna, because people ask us and we like them, too............;)
Specally for collectors.
Some put them inside on the liner.

Regards,

Ingo

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Carter

carter said:
I have a question regarding USAAF patches.

My Dad was an enlisted mechanic in the USAAF during WWII. I know that he was posted to Walla Walla, WA and Rapid City, SD. I do not know what Group, Squadron, or other unit he was in. I know there were US Continental Defense Squadrons and believe one of them was the 99th Heavy Bomber which later became the 99th Super Heavy Bomber before it was posted to the UK.

Does anyone have any information that would help me determine what patches he might have worn?

My Dad was discharged at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Denver where he was treated for a severe injury to his back.
Hey Carter ,the 99th Bomb Sqd was with the 9th Bomb Group by my refference materials and with the 20th Air Force,the other squadrons were 1st,5th,59th,99th,430th.
Johnny Signor WeBeEmblems@aol.com

SIGGY

A-List Customer
placement of patches

Mr. 'H' said:
Are squadron patches supposed to be worn on the right or left breast?
Just occured to me as I've seen both in pictures....
yes there was a ruling as to what side the Sqd or grp patch was to be placed "but" like many rules/regs it wasn't always adhered to, I have also seen them reversed and the regulation that a Suadron patch was to be a round type and the group on a shield shaped background and this I have seen reversed too.
Johnny Signor WeBeEmblems@aol.com

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I guess my Dad didn't mind me wearing his A2-I wore it all through college. Back in the early '70s, I saw a few others on students-even a few with artwork painted on the back(done during WW2,BTW). He has a mint, unused patch in his box of stuff from those days, but I'm not going to sew it on my A2 anytime soon. This patch is from the 385th BG, 548th BS:

bugsandtag.jpg

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Hand Painted Squadron Patches

Here is a few I painted in my spare time. I'm still restoring old leather and trying to make a jacket. fishmeok has done some fine work and I would like to trade stories about making my jacket.

Sorry about the photos I'm still having trouble sending pictures. If you click on the Photobucket and to the left it will have an album Listed as Squadron Patches click to see.

:rollehttp://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/muscle932/Squadron%20Patch/?action=view&current=3823ea94.pbwyes: http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/muscle932/?action=view&current=handpaint27004.jpg

3823ea94.pbw

Imahomer

Practically Family
I want to get a Free France patch done and have that added to my A-2. I know there were fighter and bomb squadrons of Free France pilots based out of the U.K.

Does anyone have any information on this? Right now the only thing I can find is the Free France patch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany