Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stacy Adams shoes

I never set out to own a pair of Stacy Adams kicks, let alone two, but two pair is what I have, thanks to the local Value Village (a chain of mega thrift stores).

The first is a pair of black patent leather formal shoes, bought for $6.99 going on a year ago now, and which I have worn only with my tuxedo. (At this rate of wear, they'll easily outlast me.) The other is a pair of gray cap toes I bought last week for $9.99. These are in never-worn condition. Brand spankin' new.

I'm no shoe maven, but even I can sense that these shoes are second-rate at best. They look nice enough (from a few feet away), if a tad on the flashy side, although not nearly so flashy as some of the Stacy Adams offerings I've seen online. But I doubt they'd hold up to the rigors of regular use.

This is not a dig at the brand. There's a place for what the company offers, just as there's a place for, say, Bailey hats. They ain't exactly the good stuff, but they ain't bad for what they cost. And I've seen some Stacy Adams styles (spectators in particular) would might well appeal to the guys who hang out in this joint.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I've always thought about starting a Stacy Adams thread, but never got around to posting anything.

I'm a big advocate of Stacy Adams. I own around 30-40 pairs, mostly acquired second hand off of Ebay.

Aesthetics
The Madison, The Dayton, and The Concorde are the only three surviving models of shoes that Stacy Adams still produces since the Golden Era. These are the only SA shoes that are worth your time.
stacyMadision00012.jpg
76781_366_45.jpg
shoes_iaec1088287.jpg

What makes these shoes unique, is that they have that severe narrow and streamlined look of a typical golden era shoe. In my opinion, no other modern factory made brand has that narrow look, not Peal & Co. nor Allen-Edmonds. I know few here would agree with me, but AE Broadstreets look to clunky and clumsy too me.

Secondly, it is the contrast fairstiching that really seals the deal for me. Who else is doing white contrast fairstiching along a tan contrasting welt? The only other brand I can think of is Remix.

Construction

I dance. Alot. I put shoes through hell. None of my SA's have given me any trouble. I typically get my rubber heels replaced for stacked leather ones. Every cobbler that I've taken too has commented on how well constructed my SA's are. Apparently there's a good year welt floating around down there some where.

Materials
My own complaint about Stacy Adams is the materials used for the uppers. Most Daytons and all the Concordes are made with a cheap plastic looking fake patent leather and have a man made pleather sole. The madisons have leather soles, but are made with kid skin, which will crease uncontrollably. To get around this problem, I typically only buy Madison and daytons with leather soles and whose vamps (which is the part that crease the most) are made from suede or leather.

I will post some pics of my rarer Stacy Adams, including my vintage pairs.

Thanks for that, resortes805. Mine are real leather, uppers and soles, albeit cheapish-looking leather. The formals are just plain black shiny patent lace-ups; the gray cap toes are apparently the Madisons (sure looks like the same model, anyway, provided we're talking about the one with the six grommeted eyelets).

I agree about the slender, streamlined look of them. A bit too showy for many (most?) business situations, perhaps, but just the ticket for Saturday night.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Resortes, i agree about the cut and style. I even agree that AEs are not quite the shape i like. I do think some of the more expensive spectators such as churches are plenty good for me.

But I have owned a pair or two of Stacys and just think they look too cheap for my own aesthetics. i have used a few pairs for dancing, where I don't care so much. But for dressing up, I just can't hang with the look for myself, even if other people would not notice.

Now, vintage would be a whole different thing. I would love to see how they looked. i currently have a vintage pair on ebay. they are probably forties or fifties, and I would say they are cheap for vintage, but as good or better than modern standards and bnetter than new Stacys.

Geesie

Practically Family
I like SA shoes. They're the most affordable leather-sole shoes with a sense of panache out there.

Yeah, I know they're not first rate. It may come as a surprise to some around here that not everyone can pay $350+ for a pair of shoes, or easily find secondhand shoes outside one standard deviation of the mean size in 1940.

Geesie said:
I like SA shoes. They're the most affordable leather-sole shoes with a sense of panache out there.

Yeah, I know they're not first rate. It may come as a surprise to some around here that not everyone can pay $350+ for a pair of shoes, or easily find secondhand shoes outside one standard deviation of the mean size in 1940.

Ain't it the truth.

I bought the Madison boot two years ago. Of the three other pairs of dress shoes I own, I found them most comfortable; especially for long walks.

The boots have held up relatively well for regular use. I use it as an everyday boot for office work and going out on the town. There has been some wear and tear, the leather peeled off the "uppers" and a hole developed in the leather soles but it was patched up. Some shoe polish fixed the tear quite nicely.

Since I cannot afford the more expensive boots, I went with the Madison and I haven't had many complaints. If you can get them at any price below retail, then all the better. If you are going for a suave, sophisticated look without breaking the bank, then I recommend them.

If anyone knows of similar shoes that are of better quality, then feel free to share.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
Resortes, i agree about the cut and style. I even agree that AEs are not quite the shape i like. I do think some of the more expensive spectators such as churches are plenty good for me.

Churches! Totally forgot about them. Yes, churchs are awesome and have the "look!"

IMG_1582.jpg

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
I found a pair of snakeskin Stacy Adam's shoes in my father's closet that fit me.. they're brown.. but they have been in there a long time- the snakeskin is hard and it cracks if you bend it at all..

Does anyone have a suggestion for me, to get these things to soften up? Or are they too far gone? Perhaps a shoemaker could do something?

Snakeskin is rather flashy for me, but.. if I can do something to them cheaply, I wouldn't mind, seeing as I already own them.

-Pete

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I love how Stacy Adam's shoes look in the ads, unforunately I can't carry off the "My name is Ving Rhames, I am on a yacht wearing lot's of silk, a fedora, and hey, see that smokin' hot model over there? yeah...." look. I tried a pair on last time I replaced my work shoes, they felt nice, but I didn't think my wardrobe could hack it, so back to the Rockports I went.

Doug C

Practically Family
I'm a big lover of the SA Madison, but only the Madison (low and boot) and I don't like anything like reptile skins, etc.. only the leather. I'm not aware of them being offered in any leather other than Kid, but these would be amazing in calfskin or something similar. It's like Resortes805 said, almost nobody else offers the contrasting fairstitching and a tan leather welt. It's great on the brown model but what is great is that the same feature is found on the black model too... and that's vintage thinking right there. (almost) No modern shoe company would use a tan welt and ivory stitching on a black shoe - yet that detail is awesome. There is something else that sets the Madison apart from other modern day shoes, and that is the SIX eyelets. I can't find it on anything else. It's a detail that also adds to the vintage vibe, exactly like the (contracted design) officer low quarters from the WWII era. These six eyelets as well as the stiched pattern around the eyelets and blucher itself are very unique, rare, and basically exstinct today. Together it all looks so simple and classic, I can't understand why these features aren't easier to find on shoes today considering so many companies did this 70 years ago. The price is right too. I just wish they offered a Madison in a plain toe as well, I'd have the perfect shoe for my needs.

Doug C

cookie

I'll Lock Up
NY_Confidential said:
I found a pair of snakeskin Stacy Adam's shoes in my father's closet that fit me.. they're brown.. but they have been in there a long time- the snakeskin is hard and it cracks if you bend it at all..

Does anyone have a suggestion for me, to get these things to soften up? Or are they too far gone? Perhaps a shoemaker could do something?

Snakeskin is rather flashy for me, but.. if I can do something to them cheaply, I wouldn't mind, seeing as I already own them.

-Pete

Pecards

Bought a third pair yesterday, from the same thrift store, for the same $9.99 plus tax. And they're also unused. (I'm guessing they were a less than truly appreciated gift.) These are black cap toes, with "brogueing" (or whatever those perforations are called), and, being Stacys, they give a least a nod to flashiness, in this case two varieties of leather finish -- smooth on the cap and quarters, and grainy on the vamp. But, you know, while they may not ooze quality, they don't scream "cheap," either. Good shoes to wear until they're worn out.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Here's my vintage pair of Stacy's...pretty beat up, but still kickin'.
4140020908_51a9837c18_b.jpg
4139260619_d4ac114f5b_b.jpg

4139261367_d44b453a3f_b.jpg
4140023570_985ef08871_b.jpg

...and here's one of my favorite designs. I like the "deco"-like lines down the front of the toe.
4139263467_51fdd4d883_b.jpg

4139264231_3023434a16_b.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For you folks that own the modern SA shoes, would you put their quality on par with some of the modern (better) Florsheims or Bostonians?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey chap, well I dunno about those brands you mentioned, being a Limey n'all, but I've three pairs of Madisons (tan shoe, brown moc & tan basketweave shoe, and black boots) and they're great for the money, especially if you get 'em below retail, as folks on here have already noted. Was happy to pay $120 for the boots in Brooklyn last November; very pleased to get the tan shoes in Macon, Georgia for $70 about six years back; and rilly knocked out to nab the basketweave shoes off Ebay for $30 about five years ago...

If you're heavy-footed like me, be prepared to get rubber half soles and heels put on 'em before serious wear. And the leather ain't the tuffest, but it's certainly in keeping with the vintage vibe - my wife has a few pairs of 1920s-1930s boots and the kidskin is redolent of the hides used back then but, as you'd expect, less high quality. I actually like the creases that (as somebody mentioned) develop easily in the leather, especially across my black Madison boots, it gives 'em a lived in look and nicely sets off the shinier toecap. I managed to take a quarter-sized area of top colour off one tan shoe's toecap trying to rub a black mark off after dinging it under my desk – which was most likely all down to me – but I think that, like the creases, add to the 'lived in' vibe; and I had an issue with salt marks on the black boots this Winter but that's all really small potatoes to me, I love 'em...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran