Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starter Cigar

stark traveller

New in Town
I am new to the world of cigars and so far have only had experience with cheap ones that I think someone bought at the 7/11. It had no appeal at all! No flavor that I could discern. Therefore, I was wondering what cigar would you aficionado's and experts out there would recommend that would give me a much better experience. And maybe the second or third ones to try after that. Thanks.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A Macanudo-Prince Of Wales would be a good starter. You want them long and fat (ca. 50 ring, 6"+ length), IMHO.

CI-MAC-PHIN-400.jpg

And smoke it as slow as you can.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Cigars are one of those pursuits that is next to impossible to have any definitive answers on. The taste of a cigar varies from brand to brand, shape to shape, and size to size, to some extent. The same company, making the same cigars, can have (very) different results from year to year, depending on the crop used to make any given cigar. Then, everyone's tastes are different.

All that being said, some of my personal favorites are Belinda Vintage Cuban Coronas, Excalibur X's (not Excalibur without the X), some Macanudos (generally light and pleasant). I generally prefer Corona-sized cigars with a length between 5.5 and 6.5, with a ring in the 42 to 46 range. I should check my humidor to see what else is in there.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
You have a choice from a great many on line cigar sellers. Holts and Black Cat in the Philadelphia area both with sites and Thompson and Cigar International to name just four. They all offer sampler packages of varying expense. I know Holts often give two of each so you can see if it's the cigar or maybe the accompaniment that influenced your first impression. Just remember that a box of cigars equals a hat or two off the bay.
Tom D.

Chainsaw

Suspended
i guess it's different in Canada. I remember hopping on a subway as a teenager with a girl friend. We went downtown for a walkabout, and we came across a newstand like you see in the movies about New York or something.

A Cohiba cost me 20$CDN and a Monte Cristo #1 about 15$CDN. Dutch Panter cigars are nice too, fantastic flavor.

For every day, wine dipped colts are nice.

Watch out for knock offs though, theres plenty of em filled with apple peels, and Chinese newspaper.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
stark traveller said:
I am new to the world of cigars and so far have only had experience with cheap ones that I think someone bought at the 7/11. It had no appeal at all! No flavor that I could discern. Therefore, I was wondering what cigar would you aficionado's and experts out there would recommend that would give me a much better experience. And maybe the second or third ones to try after that. Thanks.

Here is my suggestion .... take up a pipe instead!!! It is truly a more enjoyable experience IMHO!!!!! Spend a little bit on a good pipe (60-90) ... peterson, savanelli , Nording .... and then start with aromatic tobacco!!!

Sorry to all you cigar smokers out there ... put I seem to be the minority most of the time and always looking for a convert :D

Kk

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Related question...

Can you Americans still not legally buy Cuban cigars or has this changed now?

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Hi Stark,

I'd start with the Corona or Rothschild shape. They are a thick enough ring gauge that it will have a good balance of flavors from the filler, binder, and wrapper but not so big as to overwhelm someone just starting out. In fact many, maybe even most, people find a Corona to be the perfect size for a cigar period.

A cigar listed as "claro" will generally be milder than one listed as "maduro". Most makers market both types in all their shapes and sizes. Back when I smoked, I really enjoyed Hondurans the best for a day in day out smoke. Hoya de Monterry Excaliburs where my favs back then but I became rather disillusioned with their quality control. I have no idea what they are like now. La Gloria Cubana was another brand that I really enjoyed and I recently had a Jose Fuentes Hemingway and can attest to their excellent taste and construction.

Cigars from Jamaica and the Canary Islands always seemed very light and rather bland to me but which may be great for the beginning smoker. But because they are so mild they get to that harsh, bitter taste faster than a fuller body cigar. My advice is when they start to taste harsh or bitter chuck 'em no matter how much is left or how much it cost. Its suppose to be a pleasure not a job.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Related question...

Embargo still in place Smithy. According to the U.S. government, all Cuban goods are verboten.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:
Embargo still in place Smithy. According to the U.S. government, all Cuban goods are verboten.

Thanks rmrdaddy.

I bet a few of you tootle over your northern border and enjoy the odd Cuban up there ;)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
stark traveller said:

I'm unsure of your exact location in Colorado, but Barlows ( http://barlowscigars.com/ ) is cigar shop highly regarded by Dale Roush, of Dogwatch Cigar Radio fame. As already advised, stick with the bigger name products and sample as much as you can. There are as many types of cigars as types of people really. Once you have some baseline experience with premium hand-rolled cigars, then you can start to extrapolate information from reviews and magazines and take advice from other smokers as to what you and your individual palate might enjoy.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Thanks rmrdaddy.

I bet a few of you tootle over your northern border and enjoy the odd Cuban up there ;)

Well, the problem up north is that there is a HIGHLY prohibitive taxation on cigars. It's insane, really. My understanding is that the government uses this taxation a s prohibiter of sorts due to the socialized medicine program. If you choose to smoke, you will pay dearly (with your wallet) since everyone pays for the healthcare via taxation in general...

The problem with our southern neighbor lies more in the counterfeit problem, unless you go to an authorized and licensed La Casa Del Habanos (the official retailers for Habanos cigars).

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I'm with rmrdaddy on the local brick and mortar cigar shops. They can recommend cigars and they really do pay attention to your taste in smokes. As you develop your personal taste and relationship with a vendor they can be of great assistance.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Related question...

I live in central Florida about 35 miles from Ybor city. There are a couple shops there that hand roll cigars with tobacco that is descended from Cuban plants brought here before the ban. Not as good as the real thing but still good.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Good starter cigars

Mild Mild Mild! I would suggest going to your local B&M cigar shop and having a conversation with the tobaconist. You'll probably be best with a mild, CT shade wrapper (yes, it is kind of strange but they grow excellent, mild tobacco in Connecticut and all the top cigar makers will use the wrapper in a line or two). For the most part, do not smoke anything you can buy in a drugstore or convenience store. You'll hate it, and never get to fully enjoy all this hobby has to offer. Also, expect to spend between 5 and 10 bucks per stick. While you can get some deals here and there if you know what you're looking for, you are better off walking into a shop and going with a reputable brand. And, they aren't cheap. Once you start to get into the hobby, we can talk about where and how you get the deals!

My suggestion would be to start with a Fonseca (with a CT wrapper), an Ashton CT wrapper, or a Monte Cristo white label.

I need to step out for a smoke now...

For flavor, at a reasonable price that won't blow your head off with strength, I would put up the Spirit of Cuba By Alec Bradley. You can get a whole box of torpedos for $40 or a stick for $2. Casa Magna is another good choice. You move up to about $5 a stick but it is worth the price of admission. ;)
For a mail order gigar house, JRCigars can't be beat. I am not sure if they carry Spirit of Cuba though. [huh] You can usually find these are your local cigar store though. Casa Magna is not marketed on the internet so you would have to call or show up anyway. [huh]
As nyou work you way through a few cigar brands and decide to move up to a fuller body cigar, La Flor Dominicana has several good offerings. Don't go straight to the Dougle Ligero. :eek: ;)
I would aslo suggest you go to: http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/webapp/content/view/941/46/
for their cigar primer. That will give you all the information you need to start out and what you might need as you go further and get more interested in the hobby.
smiley.gif
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails