Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starter hat

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
[...]And then, there is Ebay, still if they are going to charge an arm and a leg on shipping, you might be wise to use up some gas and check locally[...]

I have never paid anything close to an arm OR a leg for shipping. In my experience, ebay sellers often ship hats for under 10 dollars. With very few exceptions, all of my ebay hat purchases have shipped in the 6 to 10 dollar range.

Hercule

Practically Family
Thanks, I appreciate that a lot. I must admit, when I asked about a starter hat I hadn't done my homework. Still looking and learning. I'm yet to determine if I'll even like wearing a hat. Typical newbie waffling perhaps?

MCrider

A-List Customer
I'd say if you're not sure if you'll even like wearing a hat, then I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it. Although if you get an Akubra or Stetson you could make your money back selling it. Instead I'd find a hat on ebay (or maybe on sale at the Village Hat Shop) in a style you like and try it out. Even though this isn't be a popular idea here, I might even start with a wool hat in a style you think you might like. If you decide you do like wearing hats, then its an easy thing to purchase one of the better fur felt ones. Just my two cents worth.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
The danger in the above being that you'll turn away from hats simply because of bad experience with a poor wool felt. When I first bought a hat (wool felt), I used it only occasionally for almost a year, until it was deformed enough for me to feel ashamed wearing it in public. Then I got my first fur felt and started wearing it more often. Then, I got my first Akubra and now there's rarely a day when I can be found outdoors without one of my Akubras on my nogging.

As long as you know that a more expensive hat will look better on your head than the cheap hats and keep it in mind when you look in the mirror in a hat store, you should be ok. In fact, instead of buying a hat, I'd recommend you visit any stores in your neighborhood that might sell hats and try them on there. (unless you are as unlucky as me and live in a place where there are virtually no hat shops at all.)

DRB

One Too Many
I agree, a hat store is the best place to start. You can try lots of hats on and make sure you have the right fit. If you don't know of a hat store, get a Sydney. It is a fun, easy care, good looking hat. Just an idea.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
This looks like a good suggestions, since the Iconoclast is no longer available
If the felt is a tough as the Iconoclast, it will give great wear and VHS is great to work with

Sam

This is my first hat too if it ever arrives. Supposed to be Monday...

medium_JaxonBogart1.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I notice that Hercule lists Cleveland as his location. Perhaps some of our Ohio Loungers could help him find a store where he could try some stuff on?

DRB

One Too Many
There is a hat store in Cleveland. It's not the finest but has alot of hats. I can't remember the name.

DRB

One Too Many
Yes, that is the one. I went there once. It would be a good place to start, but I would not finish there.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
A good starter hat

Greetings!

I'm looking for suggestions on a good "starter" hat. I'm new to the idea of a classic manly hat. Being 25, I've generally worn baseball caps -- a bad habit I'm breaking. At this point I do not own a fedora, but I want one. I really like the Akubra Stylemaster, and hats like the Optimo Manhattan. The Optimo, for obvious reasons is a pipe dream for me. The Stylemaster a little more feasible. I'm looking for suggestions. I measure at a 7 3/8, but haven't confirmed that with an actual hat. Can you fine gentlemen offer any suggestions to a hat noob such as myself?

Thanks!
Matt

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Stylemaster would make an outstanding first "real" hat. It's a classic style/shape/size that looks great on almost anyone. I recommend the Acorn (if you're an earthtones guy) or Moonstone (if you tend to mostly wear blue/black/gray). I say this because I have one in the darker Steel/Carbon/Mid-Grey, and I love it... but it is VERY dark, and reads as black in less-than-bright light.

stylem1.jpg

PS - Nice LOTR reference in your user name!

m0nk

One Too Many
I agree that going with an Akubra is a good beginning as the felts are able to handle a lot. The Stylemaster is nice, as is the Federation IV (my personal choice as a good starter). I think that you will be on your way to a great start with either.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think the Fed is a BIG hat to be your first fedora, and may seem like just too much if you're still tentative about hat-wearing. That's up to Matt. But there's no question that the Feds are great, classic hats, and like all Akubras, a great value in the current market. (I also have one of the older - and even bigger - Fed IIIs, but it has never felt as right on me as the Stylemaster does.)

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for the feedback. Stylemaster it is!

Doctor Strange, where might I find one in Moonstone? I've only seen them in Acorn and Carbon so far.

Matt

P.S. Thanks on the username.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart