Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starter hat

m0nk

One Too Many
My first real fedora was a Fed Iv, and while I like a finished brim, the Fed was a great starter for me.... But everyone is different.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
CSG not to long ago the US dollar to Australian dollar was pretty good in our favor. An Akubra could be bought for under $100.00 without a problem. That said I think that Akubra is the best hat for the money that one can buy. Let us hope that the dollar can once again move so that they become a steal.

Jeff
http://delmonicohatter.com

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Hard to imagine Akubra's are considered "starter" hats by some. Why is that?
I think the reason is that they are a fat better investment than cheaper hats. If you buy a wool fedora, you are more likely to have a negative first impression and never even try a better quality hat. Also, even if you like it, you will soon be spending more to get a better (fur felt) hat. From this perspective, Akubra is basically a great buy for a starter (who is prepared to invest the required amount of cash).

It does not mean that it is not also a great buy for a more experienced hat wearer. :)

EggHead

Practically Family
Akubras are not fancy hats, but they are durable and well made. For about $100 you get a rabbit fur hat that is also rain resistant.
Modern Stetsons are more fancy looking and also made from fur, but are usually more costly and don't do so well in the rain, unless you buy their top model. But for that price, might as well go beaver custom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart