Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steam Punk Music?

griffer

Practically Family
I love the alternative aesthetic of 'steam punk'. Link for more on the aesthetic.

Some music makes an overt attempt not just to sound old, but to reach both back and forward at the same time. Lots of this is gimmicky and contrived, but it makes me smile. The little gems out there are usually in the 'cheap' seats, but I thought I'd see if anyone shared my little fetish. Keep in mind, I am not talking about Michael Buble doing covers, or modern swing ala Cherry Poppin' Daddys. More like Liza Minelli and the Pet Shop Boys doing an album, although not necessarily so overtly 'gay'. [huh]

Just wanted to throw this out there...

1- Dresden dolls- wiemar brechtian punk.
2- Taco- (Puttin on the Ritz) just listening to his other songs- it's '30s/'40s pop with a casio. Very interesting fusion.
3- Ute Lemper- mixes modern art pieces with Tom Waits, Weimar cabaret, shakes it and serves it both hot and cool.

Other examples:
- Soundtrack for Bladerunner.
- Some stuff by Devotchka
- Richard Cheese- modern songs covered in a 50s lounge style

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
I'd have to agree that steam punk offers interesting imagery and I find that it goes well with industrial type music, such as Ministry; but some might find industrial music to be a little too intense.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Max Raabe and the Palast Orchester: listening to a Berlin cabaret band covering Prince has a certain frisson all it's own. There's more authentic stuff in their catalogue, too.

B

BAZ

Yeah, I love the re-inventing of accepted scenarios into a "Future-Past" theme.
Verne's stuff was cool. I like the new Dr Who series.
LOVE "City Of Lost Children"
Musically, I like "avant-garde" cover bands like Ute Lemper and Richard Cheese.
Just to "mix-em-all-up" has always been a fave pasttime of mine!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy