Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 100 Has Arrived...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
First off, thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Boris K said:
Excellent find, Jimmy.

Did the seller know any more history behind the hat?

Yes, the owner of the hat was a personal friend of the Seller's family, and they inherited some of his possessions. Apparently, the owner loved his hats! He was a prominent member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Based upon certain milestones in his career, the Seller can pinpoint with a fair degree of accuracy that the Stetson 100 would have been presented to him in 1958 or 1959. His name and title appear appear on the sweatband, so it does appear that the hat was specially presented to him. I asked the Seller about the "Compliments of G. Henry Stetson" card. While the Seller did not know about that specifically, it's her educated guess that it was a function of the circles in which the owner moved in L.A.

For me, the fact that the hat has a direct personal connection makes it all the more special.

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
Just a footnote about the case. About 1954, my parents bought a full set of Samsonite luggage that looks exactly like your hat case. I still have most of the pieces. It was rather popular, and suitcases in that color and pattern pop up in antique shops, once in a while. Quite a hatbox!

Interesting, J.T. -- the general timeframe of your parents' purchase certainly fits with the dating of this hat. The case really is beautiful. You're lucky to have a number of these pieces!

Cheers,
JtL

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Most of the Stetson 100's were made during the 1950's until the mid 1960's. The earlier models that had the fancier lining were a little softer than the later produced models.

Steven
Wishing I had a Stetson 100 to fit my big head!!
www.bencraft.com

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:
Most of the Stetson 100's were made during the 1950's until the mid 1960's. The earlier models that had the fancier lining were a little softer than the later produced models.

Steven -- Could you describe what you mean when you refer to "the fancier lining?" Thanks.

Cheers,
JtL

Kim Steiner

New in Town
You say that the case is covered with leather. I've seen a few Stetson 100 cases on eBay that were described as leather, but my apparently identical case is covered with vinyl, or something of that sort. Are you sure it is leather? Perhaps some were and some were not. Just curious. Kim

Razzman

One Too Many
Wow! What a beautiful hat. Now I know why they call you "Jimmy the Lid".
You have a beautiful hat and case with historical significance. Certainly a treasure to cherish and preserve. I hope you post some pics after you decide on a proper crease. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Razzman said:
Wow! What a beautiful hat. Now I know why they call you "Jimmy the Lid".
You have a beautiful hat and case with historical significance. Certainly a treasure to cherish and preserve. I hope you post some pics after you decide on a proper crease. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, Razzman. As an aside, the moniker "Jimmy the Lid" was actually given to me by my bandmates when I played electric/acoustic banjo in a Celtic rock band over a decade ago (did material by Pogues, Richard Thompson, etc.). I always wore my Irish tweed herringbone cap for gigs, hence the name...:)

As far as a crease goes, I'm not rushing into this one. This is a beautiful lid, so I really want to give some thought to the final look before I do anything. Am mulling over the sentiments expressed here to leave it in its current condition. My guess is that I will tweak the look so that it suits me, without doing any kind of major overhaul. We'll see...;)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Kim Steiner said:
You say that the case is covered with leather. I've seen a few Stetson 100 cases on eBay that were described as leather, but my apparently identical case is covered with vinyl, or something of that sort. Are you sure it is leather? Perhaps some were and some were not. Just curious. Kim

Hmmmmm. I spent a bit of time examining it last evening, and if it ain't leather, then you sure could have fooled me! Does your vinyl case clearly look like vinyl, or is it very close to the look and feel of leather?

Cheers,
JtL

Boris K

One of the Regulars

jimmy the lid said:
Yes, the owner of the hat was a personal friend of the Seller's family, and they inherited some of his possessions. Apparently, the owner loved his hats! He was a prominent member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Based upon certain milestones in his career, the Seller can pinpoint with a fair degree of accuracy that the Stetson 100 would have been presented to him in 1958 or 1959. His name and title appear appear on the sweatband, so it does appear that the hat was specially presented to him. I asked the Seller about the "Compliments of G. Henry Stetson" card. While the Seller did not know about that specifically, it's her educated guess that it was a function of the circles in which the owner moved in L.A.

For me, the fact that the hat has a direct personal connection makes it all the more special.

Cheers,
JtL

Interesting... Thanks for the update, Jimmy.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
How sweet it is...

when you manage to score something as beautiful as this hat and case! Congratulations! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks for sharing it with us, Jimmy. Seeing someone from the Lounge obtain something special like this is almost as good as getting it yourself. :D

Enjoy it!
Tom

Technonut

Practically Family
I must of been sleeping behind the switch on that deal... :eusa_doh: Just my size..

Hey, jimmy the lid... There is an empty place under my tree just big enough for the cased 100... ;) :D

GREAT hat!!! I am sure that it has found an appreciative home... :)

ideaguy

One Too Many
"was it bought off of eBay"...sure was, eh Jimmy? I was kinda busy, didn't pay attention to the one hat I wanted SOOOO badly, and the next thing I
knew...ah, I'm really happy that you scored the hat, at any price-the true appreciation is coming through loud & clear. Congratulations!!

The crease-I'm with Dean when it comes to fiddling with hats as soon as
I see 'em, but that center crease says something special-I'm with the keep it gang.

Wear the hat. I've got several (me??) 100 beaver hats, and love them. When you look at yer mitts-and THEN reach up and absent-mindedly stroke the brim, what a feeling. Like a baby's bottom. Wear it, for gosh sakes. That's why they made it! You'll feel better, look better, and I'll sleep better knowing it's not locked up in a closet...

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Amen to wearing that wonderful hat. I've recently begun to overcome the affliction of receiving something fantastic or expensive (as a gift or otherwise), and never using it in favour of a lesser item that I won't fear to wear out.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Once again, thanks to all for the kind sentiments.

ideaguy said:
"was it bought off of eBay"...sure was, eh Jimmy? I was kinda busy, didn't pay attention to the one hat I wanted SOOOO badly, and the next thing I knew...ah, I'm really happy that you scored the hat, at any price-the true appreciation is coming through loud & clear. Congratulations!!

Wear the hat. I've got several (me??) 100 beaver hats, and love them. When you look at yer mitts-and THEN reach up and absent-mindedly stroke the brim, what a feeling. Like a baby's bottom. Wear it, for gosh sakes. That's why they made it! You'll feel better, look better, and I'll sleep better knowing it's not locked up in a closet...

Many thanks, Ideaguy. When I saw your first post on this auction, I couldn't help but feel bad -- knowing how much you yourself wanted to nab this lid. Not easy going up against a fellow Lounger. I really appreciate your kind thoughts. [And, I don't feel quite so bad knowing that you have "several" 100X Beaver hats! :) ]

I'm with you, Ideaguy, Cdndandy and RBH -- I really believe that hats were made for wearing, so I will definitely be wearing this one. Carefully, perhaps, but wearing it nonetheless. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou