Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 100 Has Arrived...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
The Stetson 100 arrived today, and all I can say is, "Wow!". The leather case, in and of itself, is just beautiful. The hat is in absolutely mint condition -- it's hard to tell that it's ever been worn. I've had a hard time tearing myself away from pawing the felt on this lid. It is a medium thickness and smooth as velvet. There is a "JBS" Branding Iron pin on the ribbon. The liner features the "Last Drop from His Stetson" design, which is embroidered. The liner crown is covered with a very thin film of plastic. Brim width is 2 3/4 inches.

Interestingly, the case contains a card which reads, "Compliments of G. Henry Stetson" (son of John B., who took over the reins of the Stetson Company when John B. died in 1906).

This one's a real treasure.

HatinBox.jpg

HatonBox.jpg

BrandingIronPin.jpg

Stetson100.jpg

card.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

RBH

Bartender
WOW Jim!!!!
You remind me of why I love thin ribbons!!!
Fantastic fedora, let us see it on your head!

I wonder what that dude would look like with a diamond crease?
It seems from the photo that the crown is high enough for it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Gents!

RBH said:
WOW Jim!!!!
You remind me of why I love thin ribbons!!!
Fantastic fedora, let us see it on your head!

I wonder what that dude would look like with a diamond crease?
It seems from the photo that the crown is high enough for it.

Well, I'll tell you, Rusty, I might just consider a diamond crease. :) So far, I've popped it back into an open crown (this hat has never been dented on the sides, so it goes back into a pretty pristine open crown). The felt is a bit thicker and stiffer than other ORs I've experienced, which I actually like. I imagine this hat holds up pretty darn well over time and won't have to be babied. Anyway, I'm going to take some time to consider how to crease this puppy -- photos to follow! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, some hats are for wearing and wearing and some are just too perfect to play with much.

That's a really beautiful hat and with the hat, case and card in such good shape...

Nice.

fatwoul

Practically Family
You can't change that hat. You shouldn't really even wear it. You should put the hat and case in a hermetically sealed dome, and only display it for ten minutes every day, under lighting that doesn't contain excessive UV.

That really is a fabulous piece of history.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Stetson 100 is a great hat to own. Every so often , one pops up on the Bay . The quality is fantastic. I remeber one of the loungers found one that wasn't an Open Road style but I cant remember who it was.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
You can't change that hat. You shouldn't really even wear it. You should put the hat and case in a hermetically sealed dome, and only display it for ten minutes every day, under lighting that doesn't contain excessive UV.

That really is a fabulous piece of history.
:eek:fftopic: Is that a PB Indy straw in yer hat collection? It looks alot like one.:rolleyes:

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy, That hat looks so good with the center crease, and no front pinch or side dents, I'm seriously considering doing that with my latest "Open Road." None of mine are going to look that good, but we can all dream.

Just a footnote about the case. About 1954, my parents bought a full set of Samsonite luggage that looks exactly like your hat case. I still have most of the pieces. It was rather popular, and suitcases in that color and pattern pop up in antique shops, once in a while. Quite a hatbox!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy, What a wonderful purchase. Not only is the hat pristine but the case and card make this a one-of-a-kind item. I'm certain that you're going to enjoy this one! Congratulations. :eusa_clap

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with fatwoul. That hat is practically a monument to thin ribbon Stetsons and beyond special occasion wearing, I, even I who cannot resist tweaking any hat with daring and abandon, would reverently refrain from making any alterations to such perfect icon of a hat.

dean

duggap

Banned
Wow, Jimmy, all I can say is what everyone else has said, that bad boy is something very special. I wonder if there is any way to tell who the hat was presented to and how come. I don't know if I would change the crease or not. I would probably only wear it on very special days and then if there is no threat of rain or birds.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy