Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 100 Mint w/Tan Presentation Case

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This guy just showed up today. What a box! What a hat!

P1070459.jpg

P1070457.jpg

P1070448.jpg

P1070446.jpg

P1070445.jpg

P1070444.jpg

P1070447.jpg

W4ASZ

Practically Family
President Eisenhower was descended from the Pennsylvania Dutch family Eisenhauer, as it was originally spelled. The owner of this One Hundred was probably a cousin from a branch of the family which did not change the spelling.

Lovely hat in a good home !

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And here's the hat that's even nicer than the Stetson 100. I don't think I've seen any of these before.

Interesting that the sweatband logo is still using the stars version.

P1070483.jpg

P1070482.jpg

P1070466.jpg

P1070484.jpg

P1070480.jpg

P1070476.jpg

P1070479.jpg

W4ASZ said:
President Eisenhower was descended from the Pennsylvania Dutch family Eisenhauer, as it was originally spelled. The owner of this One Hundred was probably a cousin from a branch of the family which did not change the spelling.

Lovely hat in a good home !

Actually Pennsylvania Deustch. They weren't Dutch people.

Same with Hoover -> Huber.

Dinerman, Beautiful hat!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
And here's the hat that's even nicer than the Stetson 100. I don't think I've seen any of these before.

Interesting that the sweatband logo is still using the stars version.

P1070483.jpg

[]
That's one heck of a nice hat. I wasn't going to buy any more Stetsons, but that one would be an exception if I saw it for sale. It will really be recognized as a Stetson when you wear that one.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious about the vintage on the Stetson 150. I generally associate the plain medallion on the liner tip (without an identifier like "Stetson 100") with more recent Stetsons. Same goes for the medallion on the sweat that is upright, rather than sideways.

That being said, since you're the one with the hat in your hands, D-man -- do you have a take on the vintage?

And, regardless of vintage, how does the 150 compare with any Stetson 100's you have experienced?

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
I'm curious about the vintage on the Stetson 150. I generally associate the plain medallion on the liner tip (without an identifier like "Stetson 100") with more recent Stetsons. Same goes for the medallion on the sweat that is upright, rather than sideways.

That being said, since you're the one with the hat in your hands, D-man -- do you have a take on the vintage?

And, regardless of vintage, how does the 150 compare with any Stetson 100's you have experienced?

Cheers,
JtL

I'm thinking mid '60s? I don't have the pics right at hand, but I had a 7x with very similar appointments which was either dated 1965 or 66. The 150 is nicer than either of the 100s which I have owned, nicer than the 7x Clear Beavers as well, though if I were buying new and had the choice, I think I'd rather have three CBs rather than one of these.

It's definitely pure beaver and the level of finish is similar to my Adventurebilt Deluxe.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Ja !

mayserwegener said:
Actually Pennsylvania Deustch. They weren't Dutch people.

Same with Hoover -> Huber.

Dinerman, Beautiful hat!

Ganz richtig, mein Herr !

It's always corrupted as "Dutch" from "Deutsch." Our Mennonite buddies here are of German extraction, naturlich, and boy can the ladies bake !!!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
It's definitely pure beaver and the level of finish is similar to my Adventurebilt Deluxe.

Having never handled an AB of any kind, are you saying that Marc's finish is as nice as a 100 or 7xCB? If so, that's pretty amazing. From what I've seen, his work is great, but I had no idea it was on that level.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
The Stetson 150 is the stuff of legend. I have a locking metal box made of pure unobtanium waiting for mine.

Our Mennonite bakery is very close to the dairy farm that produces the most excellent cheeses. I need to put on a Steston and go shopping. (See how I kept it on topic ?)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lefty said:
Having never handled an AB of any kind, are you saying that Marc's finish is as nice as a 100 or 7xCB? If so, that's pretty amazing. From what I've seen, his work is great, but I had no idea it was on that level.

I would say the deluxe I have is as good as the Stetsons. As I've only handled the one, I can't say if that's true across the board, but I would assume it is.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I'm still waiting for someone to show pics of a Stetson Ermine from the late 1930's. I believe this was the finest production hat that Stetson ever made. I've seen one listed on Ebay once a few years ago.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
D-man, I would agree that your Stetson 150 dates to the mid-60's at the earliest. (Are there any stickers behind the sweat that confirm pre-1970 dating?)

This is really interesting. We know that Stetson was making Stetson 100's and offering the "Centennial" edition (recently discussed in the eBay thread). By definition, such a Stetson 100 would date to circa 1965. So, if the Stetson 150 dates from approximately the same timeframe, it would mean that the Stetson 150 was clearly up the ladder from the Stetson 100 in terms of quality at that time.

But, compared to a Stetson 100 dating from 1951/1952 -- is the Stetson 150 really just a "right-priced" Stetson 100? (Hope that makes sense). By the mid/late 60's, I believe that Royal Stetsons that had sold for $10 in the early 50's were going for $15.95. So, perhaps the Stetson 150 reflected a revised price point for a hat that was of similar quality to an early 50's Stetson 100.

Prior to seeing this example of the Stetson 150, I was aware of only one vintage Stetson that was priced at $150 -- namely, the Stetson Beaver/Ermine lid featured in this 1941 ad:

stetson_ermine.jpg

Very interesting, D-man -- and congrats on snagging a Stetson rarity.

Cheers,
JtL

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Thanks for showing that ad Jimmy. I dont know how many of these hats the store sold. I was told that they made only 10 of them. It was part of a series of hats but they only made one set due to the price of the hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider