Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 20 for sale - SOLD

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Hi, fellas. Ladies.

A few months ago, I purchased a Stetson 20. It's a really lovely dark brown. It's just top notch. This hat is a 7-1/4, and fits like a 7-1/4. Age? I don't know. I am supposing 40's. For those more in the know about dating Stetson's, I'll throw up all the numbers I can find around the hat. Let's see what else?

The box to come with it is an oval, Resistol box with what appears to be a vinyl strap and shiny brass (in color anyway) buckle. Box and strap are in very good condition.

Brim is 2-3/4" all the way around. Open crown looks to be 5-3/4". That is measured, and I would say within 1/8". Ribbon is dark brown, 1-3/4" wide. Very nice. It appears that this hat was worn very little. Of course that's a bit subjective. The crown has little evidence of creasing...very mild. The liner I think was ivory to begin with, but there does appear to be coloration due to age. The sweat seems flawless. The factory embossing looks like the day it was pressed. But there are initials on it which have visible wear. No doubt a different process of embossing.

This Stetson 20 model happens to be The Sovereign, and has a Mode edge, which is the same as a Cavanagh edge (this has been discussed I know elsewhere around here, how different mfrs. bought Cavanagh's patented process, or something, to use this application on their own hats). The re-order number is 559027 (also stamped on the inside of the sweat). Lot number 2017. Price was $20.00 originally, and sold at Moore's of Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco. This hat also has a "plastic separator" behind the sweat. Sewn-in liner. Intact wind trolley.

I would say (understand, I have very limited experience in vintage felt) this felt is very, very nice. It doesn't feel maybe quite as soft as my two Cavanagh's, but it's pretty soft. Seems rather dense and smooth. Holds a dent well and is very pliable.

Oh, yes. I am selling this hat because it just doesn't suit me. It fits well. It's pristine. It's beautifully rich dark brown. But it just doesn't look right on me.

Price for this hat is $85.00 which includes shipping to the lower 48. I am supposing Alaska and Hawaii may run a bit more, and I would check if need be.

It is really too beautiful a hat to not be worn, but it does me no justice, or I don't do it justice, however you want to look at it.

Thanks for your interest.

Cab

Now some pictures:
75272929.jpg

75272907.jpg

75272891.jpg
75272914.jpg

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Here are some shots of the inside of the hat. A couple are a little blurry, I realize. My camera's batteries need to be swapped with some fresh ones, otherwise I would have taken some more in hopes of being a little clearer.

Should clearer shots be requested, I'd be pleased to e-mail them to any or all who would like them.

Thanks very much.

75900546.jpg

75900542.jpg

75900537.jpg

75900535.jpg

75900532.jpg

75900528.jpg

75900519.jpg

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Incidentally, the protective plastic over the Stetson crest and label in the top of the liner is not sewn into the liner. It is stuck to the liner. An overlay. Laminated, if you will. This protective barrier is just about 1" smaller on all sides than the sewn liner seam. Look again at the last pic above. I think you can make it out.

Maybe that will help with the dating of it??

Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW