Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 3X Western Fedora

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This Stetson 3X arrived today -- a western-weight felt with fedora dimensions. I have never come across a Stetson quite like this before, and I'm lovin' it. Brim width is 2 5/8" and open crown is 5 1/2". The green ribbon is frayed, western-style. There is a tip sticker in lieu of a liner. My best estimate is that this lid dates to the early 60's. There is a protective oil silk lining behind the sweat, which may date it a bit earlier. The hat is in beautiful condition. I decided to give it an arrowhead crease...

3XFS-1.jpg

3XFS-2.jpg

3XFS-3.jpg

3XFSSticker.jpg

3XFSSweat.jpg

3XFS-4.jpg

3XFS-5.jpg

3XFS-6.jpg

3XFS-7.jpg

3XFS.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Looks great Jimmy! I really like that crease you gave it. How about a side by side with the North Valley?

B

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
What a great ribbon/hat color combo, Jimmy!

I'll have but one hat made without a liner and that will be the Stetson Palyboy when it gets to me (likely tomorrow according to the tracking).

That one you have there seems like it dropped out of a time warp from 1950 right into your hands!! Beautiful.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Before I forget -- one more detail. This lid has a wind cord, as well -- another "fedora" feature. Unfortunately, the button is missing, but an ingenious slip knot has the cord securely attached to the hat nevertheless. I guess I could always remove the cord, but, for now, I think I'll just keep it intact. ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Moving on -- thanks to all for the nice comments. Much appreciated! :)

It's funny how things tend to come full circle. About three years ago, I was trolling on the 'bay, and came across an auction for a hat made by Stetson for the New York State Conservation Service. It looked like your typical park ranger hat in terms of styling -- but, what grabbed my attention was the color scheme: beautiful tan felt with an absolutely gorgeous green ribbon. I was really blown away by that look. Although the hat was too small for me, I contacted the Seller to get more info about the colors. It struck me that this particular combo would make for a pretty striking fedora (which led me to contact Rodney Allison at North Valley Hat Company to see if we could come up with something similar in a custom lid).

Apparently, Stetson had the same thought -- as this 3X demonstrates. It is the same tan felt and green ribbon that I had previously seen on the NYS Conservation lid. What really intrigues me about this hat is the fact that it is western weight, and rugged, but also refined in terms of its overall look. I think that is a killer combination.

One more point -- as discussions about pros and cons of vintage vs. modern lids come and go here (hey, it's the Lounge -- it's what we do ;)), this lid is a reminder that one of the hallmarks of vintage hats is the seemingly infinite variety of colors of felt. The rich tan on this 3X is gorgeous, and the quality of the color on the green ribbon is striking -- the two work beautifully together.

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Since I had the hat and found it a little hard to describe the felt, how would you describe it? Did it take much steaming to reshape it? All I really know is I want the exact hat but in my size!

B

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Since I had the hat and found it a little hard to describe the felt, how would you describe it? Did it take much steaming to reshape it? All I really know is I want the exact hat but in my size!

Well, I would describe this as a sturdy, western weight felt. From that standpoint, it reminds me of other Stetson westerns. In many ways, I find that it is almost easier to shape heavier weights, as the felt tends to move more uniformly. It does require a bit more steam to get things moving, but, once things are softened up a bit, the creasing tends to go pretty smoothly.

In response to your previous request -- here's a photo of the North Valley and the Stetson together...:)

NV-3XFS.jpg

The North Valley is made of Winchester felt in the "natural" color...;)

Cheers,
JtL

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Wow! You are the master..I wish i was brave enough, I would try to duplicate that crease on my 5X stetson Wrangler. I amhappy with the teardrop, but that unusual crease is the cats meow! It might even be woth lunch to me...

That's a neat and interesting hat, JTL, the green ribbon is fabulous. I have 2 hats that are similar, one is a dark forest green, very stiff, with a sticker on the inside of the crown. The crown height is a bit shorter than yours. It also has a nice dark green midwidth ribbon.

The other one is a very light green color, almost looks like a Boss of the plains when open crown. I will try to get some pics this weekend.
pw021-1.jpg

This is a head shot of the dark green one. I think they also might have been some sort of Park ranger or conservation hats. No wind cords though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran