Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 5X Clear Beaver, 1942

Should I wear this hat or keep it as a collector's item?

• Wear this hat (with care)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep this hat safe and display it on occasion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Now,can we see you in a pic wearing the hat. It would look best if you were dressed like Tom Mix or Hopalong though. ;) lol It's a fantastic specimen of the era and should be worn. Yes it is a piece of history, but what good is it if it just hides away in a box and can't be shared?

Cheers!

Dan

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DanielJones said:
Now,can we see you in a pic wearing the hat. It would look best if you were dressed like Tom Mix or Hopalong though. ;) lol
Okay, next chance I get I'll dust off one of the Gross of Denver
western style jackets I have and take you guys a photo to laugh at.
I don't think I can pull off dressing like Tom Mix or Hopalong Cassidy
or Bill Pickett.

fedoracentric

Banned
Hmmm. So, what, then, do the 5, 7 and 100 mean? Just the finishing methods making one more work intensive so more expensive? Ugh. it is just so ethereal in many cases.

Stetson 100 = one hundred dollars - mid 1950s on.

Stetson 5X and 7X clear beaver go back further, they sold at the top price points in Stetson's production western line prior to the introduction of the Stetson 100. Felt composition we generally assume here to have been pure beaver on all.

fedoracentric

Banned
But both the 7X and the 100 were sold concurrently. So, that is confusing me a bit, I guess.

I would like to see how many agree that "clear beaver" means un-deyed belly fur. I hadn't seen that claim before the above posting. If this were true it would clear up quite a bit, perhaps.

fedoracentric

Banned
On that Stetson 100 thread that Alan posted a link to was this inventory/size tag in a 40s era hat...

View attachment 12547

Now, On other hats here I'd only seen that on 1920s (or so) era Stetsons. To see this tag on one made so late is interesting.

So, was that tag a tag from Stetson in Philly.... or a contractor? And why was this tag used once in a while? What do you guys think?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Clear beaver is un dyed belly fur.(silver belly)

I don't think that is quite true. We at least know of this - and this ... absolutely not "Silverbelly".

As I understand it, the silverish part is only a small part of the belly-fur. True silverbelly is made from this part - while "undyed beaver belly fur" can have variety of light tan/taupe/faun colors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy