Stetson 5X Clear Beaver, 1942

Discussion in 'Hats' started by feltfan, May 26, 2009.

Should I wear this hat or keep it as a collector's item?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2009.
  1. Wear this hat (with care)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep this hat safe and display it on occasion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

The National Recovery Act went live in 1933 and was found unconstitutional in 1935. Those tags are fun to find, and far less common than the OPA (~41-47) and OPS (~51-53) wartime price control tags.

Wonderful hat!

2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Excellent hat. Congratulations, Ross.

M Hatman and Ross Young like this.
  3. Ross Young

Ross Young A-List Customer

Thanks again all! I’ll post some follow up shots after it’s upcoming bath.

M Hatman likes this.
  4. alanfgag

alanfgag

Great piece of history. Please add the LOTXXXX stamp if you can get to it.

Rmccamey likes this.
  5. Ross Young

I knew I forgot a photo, I’ll also add it to the appropriate thread. #6876
    E9174D8A-1590-4EE7-AA2B-B01B52F973F5.jpeg

M Hatman and Hurricane Jack like this.
  6. alanfgag

alanfgag

Fantastic addition - thank you. LotXXXX numbers with dating provenance are so rare and valuable. I have been of the mind that the Stetson XXXXX imprint seen in your hat was a style that originated in the 1940s and continued into the post-war era. Great to have evidence that it dates back at least to the early 1930s. Congratulations on this wonderful time capsule hat.

7. Ross Young

Thanks so much Alan, I always greatly appreciate your insight and input. I had it pegged at late 30’s early 40s but with the Lot and NRA tag, I’ll feel comfortable saying early 30s. Cheers

M Hatman likes this.
  8. J Williams

J Williams Practically Family

What a hat! Great work Ross.

M Hatman and Ross Young like this.
  9. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ross Young likes this.
  10. Ross Young

5x is back, and it is certainly cleaned up and looking much better. However, the sweat has been replaced. I have a variety of different emotions and reactions to this whole cleaning experience (my first time sending out), as I felt I was left completely in the dark on the progress and the decision to have the sweat replaced. This must have been suspected by the hatter though, because I came back to work and the hat is here with no notice of shipment, nor attempt to collect for the work done. Odd part is, the old sweat still looks perfectly fine to me (though I am no expert) and fits with room over my 60ish cm noggin. I’ll be posting better photos in the comparison thread, I figured it’d be nice to make another CB contribution including this new lid. I’ll be keeping it center fire for now since I think it’s a fitting crease for this early 30’s western. Last photo shows a curious 27 & 31 stamped above the LOTXXXX:
    24737FD1-7731-455F-B26E-5A798449BD15.jpeg

FA51CA43-6E48-4DB7-8162-FE6FDC81565B.jpeg CCE12DF3-A046-4EC2-BAB3-7D22154F5CDB.jpeg E13375F9-A9FC-45B3-8B1A-9D8EAEBA17C3.jpeg
    357BC989-4864-4439-9913-C0C148D6117E.jpeg

rclark, Rmccamey, BobHufford and 11 others like this.
  11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Ross, the hat looks great. Shame about the sweat and though the leather looks great, they may have felt that the reed tape was too fragile to survive additional stitching. I have a couple of old Stetson’s with that type reed tape, sort of a pale green coated, light canvas and they do break down and sometimes get loose. It happened to my NQ and I was able to save it. Not perfect but wearable.

12. Ross Young

Thanks BB, I appreciate the insight and comments. I just wish I had the option to leave as is if I knew it meant the sweat was getting replaced. A bummer but I’ll get over it, might even look into getting the original stitched back down the road.

13. alanfgag

alanfgag

Great to see again. Who did the restoration work?
    The numbers above the LOTXXXX on the left reference the sweatband width (2”). Not sure on the right - often the number 81 appears. Sometimes on older hats the words “stiff” or “soft” were stamped, either the character of the leather or the type of hat...
    4DFF9A9E-9467-4680-A6E0-14ECB1607E60.jpeg