Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Casual

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
I'd love to know how hatters would describe this kind of felt.

Felt.jpg

I have since received an actual copy of one of the ads posted above in this thread, and it looks like Stetson described this kind of felt treatment as a "pebble finish." My lid matches the "Fiesta Oro" color -- and the flecks of gold color that you can see in the close-up shot give the felt a kind of golden undertone (hence, "Oro").

FiestaOro.jpg

PebbleFinish.jpg

I think that other manufacturers produced a similar kind of felt. It looks to me like the Mallory posted by Douglas in the Best of 2008 thread may be one example. I have also found a 1938 Mallory ad advertising their own "pebble" finish [although it's not clear how closely it may correspond to Stetson's version in terms of composition and texture]:

MalloryPebble.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great thread, guys. I like learning about these vintage hat styles. You've shown us some wonderful examples.

This is a bit :eek:fftopic:
I really like those Stetson ads from the mid-late 40's that show how to coordinate an outfit and that show men & women in an activity. It seems to me that Stetson marketing at the time was spot on for a nation just emerging from WWII.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You're not kidding about those variations. Without the imprint on the sweat, it's hard to say that these hats are related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran