Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Casual

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I have always loved the vintage ads for the Stetson Casual, so I was thrilled when I was able to find one on the Bay. This lid is in amazing condition -- just a good brushing and it popped right back into open crown condition without having to use any steam.

One of the really unique aspects of this lid is the felt itself. It is a kind of mixture of different colors that ultimately blends into a beautiful tan "heather" effect. Hard to describe -- but similar to the way that tweed has different color components that ultimately blend into one overall color. I'd love to know how hatters would describe this kind of felt. In outdoor light, the felt looks medium tan. Indoors, it takes on a bit of a golden undertone.

Another unique aspect of this lid is that it uses the same felt for the "ribbon" and the edge binding. At first glance, I thought that the lid had a narrow overwelt. But, when I saw the same thing on the bottom of the brim, I took a closer look. Sure enough, the edge binding itself is felt.

This particular lid is a Royal DeLuxe version, and the felt is a medium weight. In terms of feel, this lid is actually very similar to the Mallory Nokabout that I found recently. The brim is 2 3/4". I didn't know how I'd feel about wearing a lid with the felt band -- but I think the overall look is actually very cool -- and casual. ;)

1946 Stetson Casual Ad

1946CasualAd.jpg

OpenCrown-18.jpg

Close-up of felt

Felt.jpg

Outdoor-1.jpg

DeLuxe.jpg

Casual.jpg

Right-7.jpg

Center-11.jpg

Left-9.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Justdog

Practically Family
Vintage Royal

Mastepiece of vintage work in Pristine condition and superbly formed.:eusa_clap
Looks like it would go with pretty much anything you wore.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've never seen narrow self felt binding. I've had two (both the same model, both Stetsons) that had wide self felt brim binding, from the same era.

Is anyone able to do that kind of binding anymore?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
I'm sure there are lots of occasions that had would be perfect for.

Luckily, the vintage ads provide a guide to the kind of activities that are well-suited to this lid: attending dog shows, relaxing at a polo match, or heading out to the country for a bit of shooting, to name a few...:D

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice, Jim. I am in awe of your ability to locate these beauties. I'm going to have to start taking notes.

Further example of Stetson using the same name on differing models.

This Stetson Casual ...

IMGP1119.jpg

IMGP1122.jpg

Was purchased from a fellow Lounger about a year and half back, if memory serves. I find it a nice lookin' lid that works equally well at dressing up jeans and leather jacket or dressing down a sports coat and slacks.

I dig the ribbon ...

IMGP1120.jpg

No bow, really, just a folded-over and tacked-down ribbon, a variation on your more ordinary two-tone theme.

The edge is a simple overwelt.

Justdog

Practically Family
Details unique

tonyb said:
Further example of Stetson using the same name on differing models.

This Stetson Casual ...

IMGP1119.jpg

It is really a pleasure to see your hats posted as it inspires the search and find bug:) I interpret these as Americana art. Just superb simple ribbon detailing.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Ironically, I noted that the people in the ad shown above are dressed more formally than a lot of people in the current era; and yet this ad is supposed to show "casual". Societies sure do change over the decades...

jimmy the lid said:
Luckily, the vintage ads provide a guide to the kind of activities that are well-suited to this lid: attending dog shows, relaxing at a polo match, or heading out to the country for a bit of shooting, to name a few...:D

Cheers,
JtL

ScionPI2005 said:
Ironically, I noted that the people in the ad shown above are dressed more formally than a lot of people in the current era; and yet this ad is supposed to show "casual". Societies sure do change over the decades...

True enough. But note that the men are in jackets and trousers, not suits. It's a somewhat idealized depiction of weekend attire for the comfortable class, a status to which most were aspiring in 1946. And it's a dog show, purebreds and all that, at a time when a dog with papers was seen as something for people of some means. And it's a Stetson ad, and while Stetson wasn't the best or priciest hat a man could buy in a downtown store, it was far from a down-market item. Contrast Stetson's ads from that era with those from, say, Champ.

I wasn't around to see it through my own eyes, but it's a safe bet that the average American in 1946 wasn't quite so well turned out on typical autumn (or is it supposed to be spring?) Saturday afternoon. But, you know, it's an ad. It IS an idealized world.

My eye was drawn to the fellow on the right, in the blue hat and the warm-colored everything else. Some still consider that "wrong." Why they would is beyond me. (It's more common to see it the other way around, with a brown hat atop a man in a blue suit or jacket/pants. Buy maybe that's because brown hats were more common than blue ones?)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I've studied all kinds of vintage Stetson ads -- and it alway interests me how certain hats are described as having a more "casual" look. The kind of ads that are really instructive in this regard are the ads featuring two lids -- and the ad copy contrasts the two hats. I have a Stetson "Week-Ender," which is a perfectly respectable dress hat -- yet, in one particular Stetson ad, it is described as a more casual alternative to the more formal "Whippet." There are plenty of examples of this kind of thing. The one conclusion that I draw is that, as far as Stetson ad copy goes, hats with narrower ribbons tend to be described as more casual and versatile -- whereas, hats with wider ribbons tend to be placed in more formal settings.

tonyb said:
My eye was drawn to the fellow on the right, in the blue hat and the warm-colored everything else.

Of course, when at a dog show, it always helps to have a lid that matches your dog...
I believe that's a Kerry Blue Terrier...;):D

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Some other "Casual" pursuits...

This 1947 Stetson Casual features the new color "Fiesta Oro," and is one of Stetson's new "Fiesta" colors:

47CasualAd.jpg

Here's a 1946 Casual in "Sunrise Gray":

46CasualAd-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
I dig the ribbon ...

IMGP1120.jpg

No bow, really, just a folded-over and tacked-down ribbon, a variation on your more ordinary two-tone theme.

I love that ribbon. Perhaps it inspired this version on the Adam Majestic...?

AdamRibbon.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
1945, in a green shade similar to mine, and with a similar, though much longer ribbon
stetson1945casual.jpg

1948, with a ribbon that looks like Tony's
stetson1948-2.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow. It's great how this thread now shows three distinct styles of the same Stetson model -- all within what appears to be about a 3-year window! Thanks tonyb and Lefty for adding those lids. They are both beauties.

Lefty -- great ads. I had never really noticed that ribbon detail in the Ray Milland ad before. Good eye!

Incidentally, my lid came with a liner with a logo that was barely visible (the standard 40's Royal DeLuxe logo) -- the owner had clearly removed the liner at some point in time and cleaned it, resulting in the disappearing logo. The liner had been placed back in the lid with double stick tape that had become ancient and brittle -- so, I decided to take the liner out altogether. I'm kind of liking the "no liner" approach in my Nokabout, so I'm going the same route with the Casual.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran