Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Drifter

theinterchange

One Too Many
From what I've been told by hatters when I raised a question about buffalo felt on Club Obi Wan, [Steve Delk of Adventurebilt being one of them] it's between wool and rabbit felt in terms of quality. They started using buffalo to bridge the price gap created by the difference in wool and rabbit hats.

I've been intrigued by the felt, but for roughly the same money, I could get an Akubra, so I haven't bought one. Funny, the Stetson I was looking at was more an outback than cowboy hat, and I was looking at a western shop.

Would be interesting to get the views of an owner.

Randy

P.S after clicking through your links, that's the hat that caught my eye, too!

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I don't have a Drifter but I do have a Stetson Mineola.
For a Western hat I kind of like the buffalo felt.
The felt is definitely not as fine as rabbit or beaver, but it wears like iron.
It's also extremely water repellent.
My Mineola is my go to foul weather hat, The last time I wore it in really serious rain it took about 2.5 hours or constant rain to soak though. That was in Oregon. I've never manged to get it wet enough in So Cal to soak all the way through.
It's also very warm in cold weather.

don't have one...

I don't have one, but I think it's fun (on some level, because it amazes my wife that it's real animal fur) to say that my hat is beaver or rabbit, but I think it would be neat to have one of nutria or buffalo fur.

but I'm also the guy who got the ostrich boot because they weren't cow leather

Brando11

A-List Customer
I wear my Drifter every day. The felt is quite stiff, and just about bulletproof. Holds it's shape wonderfully no matter what the weather-

That's me wearing it in my avatar, BTW-

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I don't guess I'm in the market for an almost-waterproof, nigh-indestructible hat right now, but I'll keep the Drifter & Mineola in mind, should I ever find myself in need of one.

Welcome to the Lounge, Brando11!

theinterchange

One Too Many
No, Akubra uses rabbit and hare felts. Though, I like the interesting brim treatment on the G Day. Wonder what kangaroo felt feels like?

Oh yes! Welcome, Brando11!

Randy

kangaroo

carldelo said:
And while you're at it, how about adding kangaroo felt, the G-day:
http://www.stetsonhat.com/products_detail.php?id=523

Funny that Stetson has kangaroo felt - does Akubra use it?

I wonder if they slaughter the kangaroo to get the felt. for some reason I always feel guilty that a rabbit or beaver died to make my hat, yet not guilty enough to buy wool :eusa_doh:

texashatman

Familiar Face
theinterchange said:
No, Akubra uses rabbit and hare felts. Though, I like the interesting brim treatment on the G Day. Wonder what kangaroo felt feels like?

Oh yes! Welcome, Brando11!

Randy
I hope somebody that owns a G-day pipes in. I really like the look of it.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
RobFedoraField said:
I wonder if they slaughter the kangaroo to get the felt. for some reason I always feel guilty that a rabbit or beaver died to make my hat, yet not guilty enough to buy wool :eusa_doh:

I buy kangaroo leather from Australia and the people I buy from get all their hides from the official government culls, so at the very least there is some control to make sure the population is properly maintained.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
I bought one of Stetson's Buffalo felt hats a couple of years ago. It was total junk. The first time it got wet, the brim sagged so badly, I looked like Jed Clampett. I'll never buy another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR