Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Dune Model

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I am considering bidding on a Stetson Dune model hat but I am not familiar with this model. Is this a stiffer hat body like a cowboy/western hat? Or is it a softer body and comparable to a fedora? It has the open road look with the thin ribbon and a single long bash in the crown with a front pinch. It looks to me it is like the Open Road fedora, but I just want to be sure.

!B2ke8vwBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!jIE)rF-enepBMjEE0nedg~~0_12.JPG

SteveAS

Practically Family
I don't have specific experience with the Dune model, but with the wide, flat brim and that very narrow ribbon, I'd guess it would be stiffer than most fedoras.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Yes -- the Dune is more of a western lid in terms of stiffnes. If I remember correctly, the brim is dimensional. That being said -- it definitely has a lot of the qualities of an OR. I have a couple of these lids, and they have served me well over time...

Cheers,
JtL

Bebop

Practically Family
I have a Dune and it was as stiff as a cowboy hat when new. It has seen some sever weather and after 12 years, it has become a pretty soft hat. After a good break in period, I have been able to reshape the crown and modify the brim without much trouble. I find it to be an outstanding hat. The brim is quite wider than any of my ORs and the quality seems to be there. I did need to replace the sweat band last year but otherwise, the hat is in excellent shape for being 12 years old.

Gazman G.

New in Town
Also thinking of purchasing a dune,but it has a alligator skin liner??? Would the liner be aftermarket?faint emblem on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_110903.png
    IMG_20190626_110903.png
    527.6 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_20190626_110934.png
    IMG_20190626_110934.png
    664.9 KB · Views: 981
  • IMG_20190626_090724.png
    IMG_20190626_090724.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_20190626_110807.png
    IMG_20190626_110807.png
    665.3 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_20190626_090751.png
    IMG_20190626_090751.png
    679.6 KB · Views: 887

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I have a Stetson Dune in silverbelly.
The satin liner is brown with the Gun Club logo in gold
Recently, just for fun I decided to shape the brim from turned down all around as it originally came.
With a little steam I transformed the brim into a more western look with the sides upwards.
It gave the hat a completely different look which I'll wear far a while until my mood changes.LOL
I have some pictures for you.Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• P5260005.JPG
    P5260005.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 913
  • P5260004.JPG
    P5260004.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,019
  • P5260003.JPG
    P5260003.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 921
  • P5260002.JPG
    P5260002.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 899

dkstott

Practically Family
The Dune is a nice hat, but I wish it came with something other than that thin ribbon hat band.

Something similar to the other Stetson gun club hats like the Catera might be perfect.

M Brown

A-List Customer
my Dune is a 5x...gray....not quite as soft as a modern 6x but not as stiff as a modern 4x. its a good quality hat...mostly hare fur with barely a smidgen of beaver, if any. and it sits on my head well with the 5x quality.

the dune is a good wearing hat...wider brim than a fedora. but you could trim the brim of course, if that suits you.

dkstott

Practically Family
I like everything about the Stetson Dune &
The binding on the brim gives it a dressier look than other gun club hats.

My only minor objection is the thin ribbon hat band. My humble thought is that it's looks nicer with a leather band. As soon as I locate a nice looking replacement band, I'll buy the Dune.

Dave

my Dune is a 5x...gray....not quite as soft as a modern 6x but not as stiff as a modern 4x. its a good quality hat...mostly hare fur with barely a smidgen of beaver, if any. and it sits on my head well with the 5x quality.

the dune is a good wearing hat...wider brim than a fedora. but you could trim the brim of course, if that suits you.

I ended up selling my Dune. I just couldn’t overlook the relatively low crown with all that taper. I like a variety of hat shapes but the Dune just wasn’t to my liking and didn’t get any use. I really wanted to like the hat too.

Different strokes for different folks... I like crowns right around 4 - 4 1/2" and a bit of taper.

Those Stovepipe straight hats just don't do it for me.

It would be boring if we all liked the same things. I like crowns closer to 5” as creased, and more is better than less. I don’t mind some taper on some hats, but my Dune just had too much for me. Looking forward to seeing yours; the leather band could look quite nice too. Rick at the Phoenix Hat Co. made a custom leather hat band a couple years ago that turned out spectacular.

dkstott

Practically Family
I'm currently on the fence as whether or not the Dune is too western looking for me. What I really want is a non cowboy looking hat with close to a 3 inch brim.

If I do pull the trigger and buy the Dune. I'm thinking about removing the leather hat band and putting a grosgrain hatband on it.

I did the same thing on my Stetson Roadster and it came out great.

I'm currently on the fence as whether or not the Dune is too western looking for me. What I really want is a non cowboy looking hat with close to a 3 inch brim.

If I do pull the trigger and buy the Dune. I'm thinking about removing the leather hat band and putting a grosgrain hatband on it.

I did the same thing on my Stetson Roadster and it came out great.

Have you considered the Akubra Bushman? If the crown was taller I’d have a couple of them.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've looked at the Dune with interest many times over the years...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the Dune has always struck me as Stetson's version of an Australian outback hat. If you want that style, why wouldn't you just get an Akubra? Less expensive, outstanding quality, lots of model choices in the "country hat" selection... and they're REAL Australian outback hats, not an American "inspired by" version.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I've looked at the Dune with interest many times over the years...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the Dune has always struck me as Stetson's version of an Australian outback hat. If you want that style, why wouldn't you just get an Akubra? Less expensive, outstanding quality, lots of model choices in the "country hat" selection... and they're REAL Australian outback hats, not an American "inspired by" version.

I came here to make the Outback hat comment too.

I remember liking the Dune in pictures but when I tried one on, I wasn't really digging it. Just speaking for me, the downturn brim just looked a bit funky. My personal preference is for a flatter brim profile.

Might be time to consider a custom if you are thinking of buying an off the rack hat with the intention of modifications.

glider

A-List Customer
Well the 2 hats are similar but who's to say which was first. A lot of Stetsons hats are re issues. I have an older Stetson western with a teardrop crown that would pass for a Dune very easily.

Well the 2 hats are similar but who's to say which was first. A lot of Stetsons hats are re issues. I have an older Stetson western with a teardrop crown that would pass for a Dune very easily.

I have a couple of 1970s-1990s Resistols with the “Tycoon” shaped crown that is similar to the Dune. The style has been around longer than that, but I haven’t found one in my size yet. The tycoon’s brim can be shaped like an outback hat or it can have more of a western shape. Mine also have taller crowns and a bit less taper, but they are certainly not “stovepipe straight.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner