Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Engineers Cap

nickn5

One of the Regulars
As an engineer (train driver UK) I have long been trying to decide on appropriate head wear while at work. I have once or twice taken various fedoras or tilley hats but never found them all that practical, partly because the cab side window is quite narrow. And I'm not keen on the standard baseball cap... so... has anyone here ever seen or worn this item, which looks like it might be a good compromise:

http://www.thehatcompany.com/product/alpha_distressed_leather_engineers_cap/

I can find no mention of it anywhere on the Stetson website or indeed any US websites. And is it an authentic semi-old fashioned look, I wonder? All searches for driver's / railway hats come up with (for UK anyway) the standard 'greasetop' hat of the steam era, or the station master's peaked felt or cloth hat, not what I'm after.

N. :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
This Key denim railroad cap is the type that railroad men from my mother's side of the family once wore.
DSC01751.JPG
DSC01752.JPG

DSC01753.JPG

nickn5

One of the Regulars
:eusa_doh: :D

So much choice... but I think the striped denim or wot I found might be best bets on the whole. Probably could spend a whole lifetime researching rail (way/road) hats for different jobs, but I suspect (sadly) fedoras didn't feature much, except among the management grades perhaps.

Thanks for the help etc. ;)

N.

Rider

Familiar Face
Carter, have you a source for that Key Engineers Cap? I was always a fan of Osh Kosh engineer caps but they seem to be out of production.

Edward

Bartender
This is what immediately springs to mind when I think 'train driver':

yachtingcaps.jpg

These are actually yachting caps from:

http://www.gbeverleytailors.co.uk/caps.asp

I have a few caps in that style myself (though entirely wool or corduroy, no leather bill on mine), which I often wear with a leather jacket or other casual wear, or especially with something like a B3 which has a collar that would foul the brim of a fedora or similar. They all hint at 'train driver' to me.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Rider said:
Carter, have you a source for that Key Engineers Cap? I was always a fan of Osh Kosh engineer caps but they seem to be out of production.
Rider, That is an image of one that may still be for sale on Ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart