Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Gun Club Three Forks Vs. Akubra Campdraft

Goose.

Practically Family
Ho Ho Ho Season is on the way.

Wondering if I should ask Santa for a Stetson Gun Club Sage or an Akubra Campdraft Silverbelly.

I might be able to squeeze in a 7-1/2 Stetson (largest they make in this model) if they run true to size.

Leaning towards the Akubra. But interested in thoughts from those that may have either or both...or knowledge of the same.

Thoughts? Opinions? Drunken keyboard typing? Taste great? Less filling?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=48&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

Thanks...

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I vote for the Campdraft too. I have both and the Campdraft is a waaaayyyyy better hat. The crown of the gun club is real short and it has a lot of taper.
I wore my Gun Club Sunday to take my boat out of the lake for the winter. I figured if it blew off and sank I wouldn't care.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Ahh shucks. I thought this was gonna be a gun fight. lol

That Three Forks looks like a lame trimmed down Squatter with a fancy leather band :deadhorse .

Goose, My Friend, a man must have goals in life.

1. A Campdraft in every color
2. A Squatter in every color
3. A Whippet in ...

I'll let BobC take over from here ;) .

I gave my 3 Forks to my brother-in-law after getting my Campdraft. No comparison in my book. I had the Cabelas & the LLBean versions of the Stetson 3 Forks/Moose Creek hats & will take a Campdraft over them any day & twice on Sunday.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CRH said:
Ahh shucks. I thought this was gonna be a gun fight. lol

That Three Forks looks like a lame trimmed down Squatter with a fancy leather band :deadhorse .

Goose, My Friend, a man must have goals in life.

1. A Campdraft in every color
2. A Squatter in every color
3. A Whippet in ...

I'll let BobC take over from here ;) .
:eek: I don't have any Squatters. :rolleyes:

Duper

Practically Family
If you didn't convince Goose, you convinced me. I want a Campdraft!

Actually I want 2 Campdrafts. I know for sure I want a taupe fawn, but I'm trying to decide between the glen grey or the bluegrass green. What would your votes be on a colour choice between those two?

Here is the shot that FFF added to the Campdraft thread that sold me on the taupe fawn. I wish FFF had a bluegrass he could photograph. :)

3740248733_166853d56b_b.jpg

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I just received a Campdraft in Glen Grey from hatsdirect yesterday. While I am quite happy with the construction and materials, and the color is great, it is a big hat. I know people on this forum bemoan the existence of taper and low crowns. After observing myself in the Campdraft, it dawned on me that there might be a reason (in addition to possible cost cutting),that designers and sellers went to smaller (more tapered, shorter crowned) hats. To sum it up, big hats might just look better in the movies (and on movie stars) than on you or me.

Duper

Practically Family
Hi Richard, I have an inquiry with Hats Direct presently to see if they would trim the brim to about 63mm and then rebind the brim on a Campdraft as part of the order. I'm hoping they say yes. I don't mind the fuller open crown but the brim being 73mm (almost 3 inches) as confirmed by Jenny of HD just today, would make it the widest brimmed hat I have ever purchased. One of my Banjo Patersons is 70mm and the other is trimmed to 65mm.

Maybe it just takes a little getting used to? [huh]

I have CDs in Silver Belly, Mid-Brown & Glen Grey. I don't think I'll go for the Bluegrass Green one. I would definitely consider the Taupe Fawn. I REALLY like the Glen Grey & want to have a Moonstone if they ever make one.
JMHO.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Richard Warren said:
I just received a Campdraft in Glen Grey from hatsdirect yesterday. While I am quite happy with the construction and materials, and the color is great, it is a big hat. I know people on this forum bemoan the existence of taper and low crowns. After observing myself in the Campdraft, it dawned on me that there might be a reason (in addition to possible cost cutting),that designers and sellers went to smaller (more tapered, shorter crowned) hats. To sum it up, big hats might just look better in the movies (and on movie stars) than on you or me.

It is a big hat. Bigger than the Fed IV. You can get the crown a little lower, but the brim is still about 3" as noted. It's the one hat my wife makes fun of. Okay, it's not the only hat, but it's the one she makes fun of the most. When I first got a CD, she said it looked like I had a coffee can on my head. So, I lowered the crown. Then, after checking out CD's here on the lounge, I decided I liked it better taller. Now it's mountain grown for richer flavor. :)
I do prefer to wear it with an outer coat in cooler weather. Seems a little more balanced.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Poor Stetson gets no love. I have a 3x Silverbelly OR and would still pick a Camp Draft in a different color over that Gun Club Three Forks. Lucky for Stetson that Morgan has no clue what hats to buy.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I have 2 Camp Drafts and an older Gun Club. I like the Camp Drafts a lot better. Just my .02 but it looks like you've heard this all before.;)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Campdraft.

I've got a Taupe Fawn, a Glen Grey (I swear some new pictures are coming soon), a Mid-Brown on it's way, a mason jar with funds for a Silverbelly for the summer and a compulsion driving me to a Bluegrass Green just to round them all out. I love the hats.

So yeah, Campdraft.

Duper

Practically Family
Well my hopes of having the Campdraft brim trimmed by HD prior to shipping it to me were extinguished.

HD infomed me via e-mail they would prefer not to make this sort of modification to a hat that is mail order. Also they do not have a machine to do the rebinding and would have to do it by hand. They suggested I send it off to a bespoke millliner to do the work. I had to look up what "bespoke" meant.

Oh well,,,file it under "seemed like a good idea at the time", but at least I expanded my vocabulary.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner