Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Medalist Melan for Sale

jpbales

Practically Family
SideAngleBrimDown.jpg

SideBrimUp.jpg

SweatbandRibbonSize.jpg

StetsonMedalistLogo.jpg

PriceTag.jpg

Pugaree.jpg

Up for sale is a Stetson Medalist Milan hat, with a porkpie-style crease that has an optimo ridge in the front and top. From the research I've done, I'd estimate it to be dated anywhere from the mid 1940's to the early 1950's. The hat is in AMAZING condition for such an old hat. The ONLY sign of wear is on the leather sweatband, where some of the outside finish has worn off- this is only cosmetic, not visible when wearing the hat, and does not effect the function or feel of the sweatband. The hat was originally sold for $5.00 at Empsall's Men's Store. Here are the specs:

Size (according to the tag): 7 3/8
Opening Width/Height: 17.3cm x 20.8cm
Ellipse calculator estimated circumference: 60.01 cm

Brim width: 2 inches in the front, but 2 1/4 on every other side.
Crown height: 4 inches

I used the "paper clip" method to measure the circumference of the sweatband:
DSC02285.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

It came out at 57 cm, but keep in mind that is measured from about halfway down the sweatband, and this hat has some taper.

For more pictures, follow this link to the photobucket album:
http://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/jpbales88/

For other information, here's a link to a thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41336

My initial price is going to be $80 plus shipping. If you have questions, feel free to ask them here or PM me.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
JP, I'd jump on this, but I'm a 59, and that 57 measurement worries me...looks like you've done a good job measuring the lid. Maybe some shrinkage happened in the sweatband over the years...
Steve

Boodles

A-List Customer
I really like this hat but...

My problem is the inverse of Mr Jazzncocktails, I think it is too big for me. I'm a 7-1/8. Your excellent tape photo clearly shows right about 57cm but then your try-on makes me think it's between 7-/14 and 7-3/8, to large for me. Rats.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Milans (from my personal experience) when stretched - stay stretched and don't conform down like a Monte. My one is actually a tad loose now but in summer that's okay.

jpbales

Practically Family
well...

if it's too big, you can always add a little foam inside the sweatband [huh] I just wish there was some way for people to try it on and see first!

Boodles

A-List Customer
JP - just to be sure I checked a couple of my hats

Sorry to take up your classified space with this chatter...

Just to reassure myself that your fine Milan would be too big I checked a couple of my hats using the paper clip method which you show in your photos. Just as you did I measured near the center of the sweat. The hats which fit me best measure right about 55.5cm. My Riverina, which is really too large, measures about 56.1cm. Your Milan, at 57cm, would be a sort of Kid Rock fit on me, over the ears.

At the risk of repeating myself I say again, rats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24