Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson- Missouri/Texas...?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
the Stetson story

Here's the story . The factory in St Joseph Mo produced the Steston dress line until it was closed last year . It was originaly called the Stevens Hat Co. The Stetson label was purchased by them in 1970 when Stetson of Philadelphia closed the plant .
The factory in Garland TX was the original Resistol plant from the 1930's .They made the westerns for Stetson and others . It is called the Hatco plant . They now own the license for Stetson, Dobbs ,Resitol and all of the other names that you are familir with .They also make all of the dress hats for Stetson . :cool2:

MKL

A-List Customer
I am not sure about this but I heard the store outlet next to the factory in St. Joe is still open.

Does anyone know for sure?

I live about an hour and twenty minutes away but haven't had a chance to get over there.

Thanks.

mkl

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Outlet

I know the outlet in Garland is open. I was there in Febuary. As for St Jo , give them a call. I know that Hatco is having a hard time selling the old plant . No one wants it in St Jo . It's a big place . :cool2:

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Stetson Outlet - St Joe

I live in the area also and visit once in a while. It is still open everyday but Sunday. Know what hat you are looking for and the size you wear. Call them if you wish and see if they have it available. Whats out front is only a fraction of what they have in the warehouse. Forty five bucks will usually buy you any fedora they have. Check it over first and make sure it has not been rejected for a good reason. My pick is always hats from cancelled orders. Most of mine are in that class. OR buy a vintage hat for the same money. Same rule applies however, know what your looking for and looking at.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
I called the St Joseph store last week and they are indeed open. I live about an hour away from them and will likely visit soon. I'll report what I see/find there.

Todd

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Company store

You would be very suprised at what you would find at the company store at Stetson . When I was there in Feb ,they had boxes of hats that were samples of styles that never made it . Great stuff in Garland . I also visited the companty store for Bollman hats in Adamstown ,PA . Stay away!! Mostly wool hats that I wouln't give to a dog. :cool2:

pointystuff

New in Town
Stetsons

Phog Allen said:
I called the St Joseph store last week and they are indeed open. I live about an hour away from them and will likely visit soon. I'll report what I see/find there.

Todd

I mail-ordered a fedora from the MO Stetson outlet. The liner band was sewn in crooked; it was supposed to be a 7 3/8, but wobbled around on my head.
It's gone to Mississippi for a new liner and a grosgrain band.

Brad

MKL

A-List Customer
Hi Brad,

The outet store in St. Joe at one time only sold flawed hats or orders that were canceled. At least that was what I was told by a person who worked behind the counter a few years ago. At that time you could buy a fedora for $19.99 or less depending upon the condition. I am not sure if they still sell flawed hats (at least to you they did), but I was there about 2 years ago and they had a $2000 cowboy hat on display. In the past I have purchased some nice hats there but nothing of the quality of a vintage. They just can't be beat for quality and construction.

mkl

pointystuff

New in Town
MKL said:
Hi Brad,

The outet store in St. Joe at one time only sold flawed hats or orders that were canceled. At least that was what I was told by a person who worked behind the counter a few years ago. At that time you could buy a fedora for $19.99 or less depending upon the condition. I am not sure if they still sell flawed hats (at least to you they did), but I was there about 2 years ago and they had a $2000 cowboy hat on display. In the past I have purchased some nice hats there but nothing of the quality of a vintage. They just can't be beat for quality and construction.

mkl

I've not had much luck with hats lately. Less than thrilled with the Stetson, I had Miller Hats send me a fedora. It arrived pretty well beat up--in a crushed, oil-stained carton; the replacement has yet to arrive, but I've got my fingers crossed.
Brad

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Stetson Address

The address for the company store is I believe 601 Marion Drive in Garland . You cant miss the factory . The store is right next door .

Have fun.:cool2:

drkilmer

New in Town
My Dad took me to that very store years ago (maybe 1973?) and bought me my first new hat. It's an experience I'll never forget ... the salesperson helping us choose the right style and size, then watching them prepare it for me. I didn't even know the place was still there. I don't live in Dallas any more, but I have family there and get back there a couple times a year. I grew up in the Casa View area ... not far from Garland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24