Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Nostalgia Discontinued?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I was looking through trademarks recently and all the C & K, Knapp-Felt, Crowfut & Knapp trademarks expired some time ago and have not been renewed since HCA.(no sign of HATCO ownership)

I've often wondered about that. Could anybody resurrect C&K just by registering the trademark? I don't know how the original "rights" to the brand sold by HCA were packaged, but I imagine a good legal department could make the claim that Hatco has the rights to the name, even if they haven't registered the trademark. But, I've really no clue. If I could, for a few hundred dollars I would register the trademark and resurrect the brand.

Brad

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I've often wondered about that. Could anybody resurrect C&K just by registering the trademark? I don't know how the original "rights" to the brand sold by HCA were packaged, but I imagine a good legal department could make the claim that Hatco has the rights to the name, even if they haven't registered the trademark. But, I've really no clue. If I could, for a few hundred dollars I would register the trademark and resurrect the brand.

Brad

5515874931_2b11fe83f7_o.png

Crofut & Knapp http://tarr.uspto.gov/tarr?regser=serial&entry=71621314&action=Request+Status

Last edited:

bradbraden

New in Town
This stinks, I am a hat neophyte and I really wanted to get that hat in the fall. I am asking for help from the experts here please. If I can't get a hold of the Nostalgia what would be comparable? I am not looking to buy an actual vintage hat, but I wanted a new one that approximates the "vintage style". I am looking to spend no more than 150 dollars. I thought that Caribou color/black ribbon is really sharp.I thank you in advance for your opinions.

This stinks, I am a hat neophyte and I really wanted to get that hat in the fall. I am asking for help from the experts here please. If I can't get a hold of the Nostalgia what would be comparable? I am not looking to buy an actual vintage hat, but I wanted a new one that approximates the "vintage style". I am looking to spend no more than 150 dollars. I thought that Caribou color/black ribbon is really sharp.I thank you in advance for your opinions.

Akubra Federation 4 from Hats Direct = http://www.hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html
Moonstone color is a bit lighter than caribou tho...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Wasn't gray/black ribbon the only color available for the Nostalgia? That could actually have been part of the problem.
I thought some websites mentioned mink as another color choice.

As someone mentioned above, simply displaying the hat open crown would have put most buyers off at first. Even though I knew my first Fed IV would be open crown, when I opened the box I was startled at just how tall that dome was. The proper way to do it, I suspect, would have been to display an open one -- "This is how the Nostalgia starts" -- then another in the same color creased in a teardrop or something similar to the other Stetsons on the shelf: "We shaped it like this, but you can shape it to your personal taste!"

Maybe I can still grab a mink one from the outlet place.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Hat Guys over here in Oakland, CA stocked the Nostalgia, at least they had some the last time I was in there. There will probably be a few kicking around in dealer's stock like that.

The Akubra Fed IV from Hatsdirect.com is a good choice for an open crown, 30's style hat.

frussell

One Too Many
I made an inquiry once with "I Love Hat," and they not so promptly emailed me an invoice for a hat I did not order, demanding payment. I didn't end up going with them, as their management seems to have more problems than just linguistics. Frank

HATCO

Vendor
you mean like this?

nostalgia.jpg

This is how we provided the images to retailers....

I thought some websites mentioned mink as another color choice.

As someone mentioned above, simply displaying the hat open crown would have put most buyers off at first. Even though I knew my first Fed IV would be open crown, when I opened the box I was startled at just how tall that dome was. The proper way to do it, I suspect, would have been to display an open one -- "This is how the Nostalgia starts" -- then another in the same color creased in a teardrop or something similar to the other Stetsons on the shelf: "We shaped it like this, but you can shape it to your personal taste!"

Maybe I can still grab a mink one from the outlet place.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I made an inquiry once with "I Love Hat," and they not so promptly emailed me an invoice for a hat I did not order, demanding payment. I didn't end up going with them, as their management seems to have more problems than just linguistics. Frank

Good to know. I withdraw my referral.

Tiller

Practically Family
What a real shame. I was planning on getting one sometime in mid summer. It's hard to believe that sales were so dismal. I guess despite all the talk about the return of the hat, we really are still a very small market.

bradbraden

New in Town
What a real shame. I was planning on getting one sometime in mid summer. It's hard to believe that sales were so dismal. I guess despite all the talk about the return of the hat, we really are still a very small market.

We may not be done yet, fishing around online it looks like they are still there to be had. I just hope I can still get one when I'm ready to buy. If not The Akubra everyone is so high on looks like a winner moonstone is cool but the carbon grey is even better. I wonder if this is more to do with fedora lovers being a small group or the fact that the economy just stinks.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
you mean like this?

nostalgia.jpg

This is how we provided the images to retailers....
Exactly; and now that you mention it, all the online retailers I saw displayed the images like that. I was thinking the retailers with actual stores should have had a similar display where walk-ins could see 'em, too. My local place, Meyer the Hatter, didn't -- but then they didn't carry the Nostalgia when I asked, either.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I know that my Local Hatter DelMonico's told me that the vast majority of his sales are on line, so the in store POS I don't think would make much difference.

Jeff

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, I'm really sorry to see this. I bought one a few months back from the Garland Outlet, and am really glad I snagged it, it's IMHO a very nice and decently made hat (and with Outlet pricing was a bargain to boot).

I may have to seek out a Mink colored one to go with the lovely Caribou I see sitting across the room (though a Fed IV was planned to fill that niche, the pricing of the Nostalgia from an outlet is easier to swallow right now).

Guys, a lesson to be learned here. Many seem to express a desire to have purchased one. The lesson is, if we want some things available, we need to vote with our dollars and get off the wallet and make the purchase. No manuf. will keep making a product which they see as not carrying enough demand.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran