Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON OPEN ROAD HELP PLEASE!!

Gunnar921

New in Town
Hello all! I am new and I appreciate being approved for the lounge. I have tried to do some research on these forums and internet to find information on my grandfathers hat but there are a couple marks/logos/etc. that I can't find anywhere else on the internet to try and date. I don't see anywhere what kind of felt it is or how many X's etc. like I see on most pictures posted. I have not seen any other hat that has the same John B Stetson Company around a circle with JBS inside circle, etc. Also WHAT IS "J L F" initials? I am familiar with the store "Klines" that was a old store here in San Antonio but is now closed. Also just out of curiosity, try and get approx. value of hat. Any information on this would be helpful on date and value. Not really the same style of cowboy hats I wear but being as It was passed down from grandfather, I think it would be kind of "cool" feeling to wear on special occasions but also I would like to preserve it as long as possible and pass down to my boys. So is wearing it occasionally or just keeping in box recommended? Thank yall again for any help you may be able to offer. Hopefully these pictures attach and post right.

Attachments

• IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2472.PNG
    IMG_2472.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4403.jpg
    IMG_4403.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4405.jpg
    IMG_4405.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4408.jpg
    IMG_4408.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4407.jpg
    IMG_4407.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4406.jpg
    IMG_4406.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
Hello all! I am new and I appreciate being approved for the lounge. I have tried to do some research on these forums and internet to find information on my grandfathers hat but there are a couple marks/logos/etc. that I can't find anywhere else on the internet to try and date. I don't see anywhere what kind of felt it is or how many X's etc. like I see on most pictures posted. I have not seen any other hat that has the same John B Stetson Company around a circle with JBS inside circle, etc. Also WHAT IS "J L F" initials? I am familiar with the store "Klines" that was a old store here in San Antonio but is now closed. Also just out of curiosity, try and get approx. value of hat. Any information on this would be helpful on date and value. Not really the same style of cowboy hats I wear but being as It was passed down from grandfather, I think it would be kind of "cool" feeling to wear on special occasions but also I would like to preserve it as long as possible and pass down to my boys. So is wearing it occasionally or just keeping in box recommended? Thank yall again for any help you may be able to offer. Hopefully these pictures attach and post right.

We normally don't do value estimates as a matter of course - too subjective and it opens up a can of worms where the Lounge would become inundated with such questions.

From my best guess, based on tags, logos and such, it's a 60s hat, maybe even 70s after Stetson sold the name. I've seen that JBS logo, but only as a background pattern on a liner.

As Bama indicates, those are the initials of the owner of the hat who originally purchased it. If they are not your grandfather's initials, he got it second-hand.

There are plenty of threads around here on dating by liner, logos, union tags and such. You should be able to narrow it down.

I have not seen any other hat that has the same John B Stetson Company around a circle with JBS inside circle, etc.

From my best guess, based on tags, logos and such, it's a 60s hat, maybe even 70s after Stetson sold the name. I've seen that JBS logo, but only as a background pattern on a liner.
I have the JBS logo in a 7X that I date to ~1970, right around the time the Stetson group was outsourcing manufacturing & Stevens, St. Joseph, MO bought Stetson out. I’ve always thought it is probably a Stevens made hat.

I believe Bowen @AbbaDatDeHat might have one also.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I have the JBS logo in a 7X that I date to ~1970, right around the time the Stetson group was outsourcing manufacturing & Stevens, St. Joseph, MO bought Stetson out. I’ve always thought it is probably a Stevens made hat.

I believe Bowen @AbbaDatDeHat might have one also.
I agree Jack associating that round JBL (edt:JBS…had stereos on my mind)with 70’s, especially with the silverish liner logo etc.
I believe mine is a a more transitional period hat with the branded Open Road 7X Clear Beaver distinction. It does have the rectangle size tag and taped sweatband bow, as does yours, but the older style brown sweatband.
Still a very finely felted hat. One of the last good Stetson ORs in my mind.
B

Last edited:

SydneyNas

New in Town
Hey mate, I'm in Aust. Looks 70's based on the liner colour, 7 X offering and sweats foiling.
Hats values are mostly determined by lack of wear or if distressed in such a way the buyer would be willing to pay more for one.

Me personally if I want old hats I want one with little to no wear/use. I don't think there is a hard value to put on this hat. If it's the old mans - Ever considered geting it refurbished and wearing your dads hat? Looks like it could handle a light sand and a brush - Maybe even a steam and a bit of a stretch.

If I sold my old mans hat Id look at the cash in the hand and think how easy it is to make cash. I couldnt get my dads hat once it's gone if I tried.

With proper care you can wear a hat for decades. It's not a piece of glass. OR's were meant to be a working hat with snow and rain having little to no effect on these hats. Just google some good hat care. I'd take it to a hat store and ask them to refurbish it, sand, stretch brush it.

Buy yourself a brush which are very cheap and brush before and after use. If you do that it will last decades.

Hopefully that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom