Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Open Road Panama Straw.

jkingrph

Practically Family
After reading about the Panama Open Road I contacted Meyer the Hatter, first by email, then phoned. While on the phone Paul Meyer tried a size 7 3/8 on and said it fit his normal 7 1/4 head fine so I decided to give it a try. This was mid day Wednesday and the hat arrived this afternoon just over two days later.

I put a couple of foam strips he supplied in the sides and it fits much like a slightly large 7 1/4 long oval which is the size I prefer.

My thanks to Paul Meyer for the accurate and fast service

Jeff

jkingrph

Practically Family
photo2.jpg
[/IMG]

photo1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are couple from my phone, Model looks kind of shopworn!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I plan to stop in there tomorrow to try on the Panama OR. Mr. Sam told me just now on the phone that they do indeed have 'em in stock, and in my size.

Normally I avoid going downtown even on weekends, as the city council has decided that forcing you to use parking meters even on Saturday will bring you rushing back from suburban shopping. (Not.) But MtH seems to be the only one who has this model; and I love the OR look, but don't want the plasticky Shantung.

Besides, every now and then ya gotta support your local businesses, or sooner or later you won't have any.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Visit to Meyer's

Hey, all,

I did indeed trek down to Meyer the Hatter this weekend and bought the Panama OR. They'd set a size 7 aside for me. Paul Meyer brought it out with his usual flourish and I settled it on my pointy little head. An excellent fit with a light feel to it. I had him steam and swoop the front brim down a bit, and I'm still working on getting it right at home. When I glimpse it in a monitor at the grocery store, the crown is sort of squarish -- a hat with authority, just like my felt ORs and clones.

Its tag says it has a 2 3/4 brim, if anybody's curious. I hope I can get a pic or two soon.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
photoon32412at933am2.jpg

Here is mine.

Is that the Panama version or the Shantung version, Perry?

I've been trying to find pictures of the inside of the Straw version along with dimensions. This may be the only modern Stetson straw with a crown that's high enough for me.....

Josh, it is a Panama from Meyer the Hatter. I also have a Shantung version that is very stiff. If I get a chance
I will try to get dimensions and pics and post here for you. I really like this one for summer wear.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, it is a Panama from Meyer the Hatter. I also have a Shantung version that is very stiff. If I get a chance
I will try to get dimensions and pics and post here for you. I really like this one for summer wear.

Thanks, Perry. I would really appreciate it. It seems that Meyer the Hatter is the only one right now that has the REAL panama Open Road. The 2 3/4 inch brim is quite a bit bigger than I usually wear, but if I flange it pretty high, I might be able to live with it.

TPD166

One Too Many
This is not a Stetson Open Road, but it is a real Panama straw Open Road-style that Paris Hatters had made and sells in their store in San Antonio. I dropped off a felt for some work last week and could not leave the store without this hat! I also have a Shantung OR I bought a few years ago, which I like - but there is no comparison to my new one. The Panama will probably get the most wear of any of my hats this summer!

Paris_hatters_Panama_OR.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks great!!!

photoon32412at933am2.jpg

Here is mine.

HOPKINSofBaltimoreOR.jpg

I was lucky enough to nail the above in a BIN the other day. Not of great antiquity, but seems to be in nice shape & I have needed a HOPKINS of BALTIMORE as I do not own one. For some reason Baltimore was the very center of the US Panama Hat world. Anyone know why?

Certainly does not prevent me wanting to see what Meyer has as well as investigate this
Openroadmex.jpg
(undoubtedly HOT & HEAVY) Guat straw OR. I'll bet it's tough as nails, eh?

plain old dave

A-List Customer
I think I gave $20 for my straw OR at a western wear store in Blacksburg, VA back in 2007. Was on my way home from AT in VA Beach. Was 107 on the line one afternoon and I decided I had had quite enough of baking under a felt hat. Never thought of putting lining in the *sides* of the band...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran