Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson pulls products from HatWRKS Over Vaccination Controversy

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
The John B. Stetson Company announces that it has ceased the sale of all their products at HatWRKS, after the Nashville hat store said they’re selling ‘not vaccinated patches,’ which resemble the yellow Star of David badges that Jewish people were forced to wear as identifiers during the Holocaust

https://twitter.com/StetsonUSA/status/1398635159444852743

Statement from Stetson:

We are aware of the situation in Nashville. We take this matter seriously and are investigating in order to take the necessary and appropriate next steps. Along with our distribution partners, Stetson condemns antisemitism and discrimination of any kind.

As a result of the offensive content and opinions shared by HatWRKS in Nashville, Stetson and our distribution partners will cease the sale of all Stetson products. We thank you for your continued support and patience.

The John B. Stetson Company announces that it has ceased the sale of all their products at HatWRKS, after the Nashville hat store said they’re selling ‘not vaccinated patches,’ which resemble the yellow Star of David badges that Jewish people were forced to wear as identifiers during the Holocaust

https://twitter.com/StetsonUSA/status/1398635159444852743

Statement from Stetson:

We are aware of the situation in Nashville. We take this matter seriously and are investigating in order to take the necessary and appropriate next steps. Along with our distribution partners, Stetson condemns antisemitism and discrimination of any kind.

As a result of the offensive content and opinions shared by HatWRKS in Nashville, Stetson and our distribution partners will cease the sale of all Stetson products. We thank you for your continued support and patience.

I don’t see it as antisemitism. I don’t see it as a dig on Jewish people, but it is disrespectful to equate the two: the Holocaust and vaccinations.

I’m not sure how I feel about Stetson’s decision. Surely you don’t have to agree with someone’s opinions and politics to do business with them. Doing business with a person or company isn’t an endorsement of everything that person or company believes. There seem to be forces at work that insist on a homogeneity in thinking and a total lack of tolerance.

Edit: after reading more about this woman and her history I agree with Stetson and Akubra’s decision to part ways with her.

Last edited:

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
I can see why Stetson did it, granted. Messing with Holocaust comparisons is not a very good idea. No business wants to be connected to that! But I agree with you about the lack of tolerance going around these days, too. Very trying times, these days.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I haven't replied to mich these past months but this one struck me as odd, for lack of a better adjective. I understand what message they are trying to convey but don't clearly see the correlation. One has really no relation to the other. This really was a marketing strategy gone astray. Poor planning on someone's part. Good luck with this one HatWRKS!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There seem to be forces at work that insist on a homogeneity in thinking and a total lack of tolerance.

As the resident millennial/kooky west coast urban dweller, I really have to push back on this narrative that has largely been forwarded by talking heads who have willingly distorted reality and/or uncritically joined in on circular, insular discussions (some examples might be some notable writers who now make a living on Substack, maybe their name rhymes with Mandrew Mullivan or Dairy Deiss....or Eve Fartlow). Mores on speech and societal norms did not suddenly appear one day from only one side of the political spectrum. Lest we forget "Freedom Fries." The linked podcast is a good listen if one has the time.

I actually really like some Gigi's work. I know some of her hats have ended up in the WTF thread. But some of her dye work is really creative. I would wear one of those Jackson Pollock hats. But she is really up the creek. I guess she blocked me on Instagram because I told her to have some perspective at the beginning of the shelter in place. FDR sent my grandparents to a plywood shack in the middle of the Utah desert and held them there under threat of lethal force. So my bar for government "tyranny" is not at shelter in place orders during a pandemic.

As the resident millennial/kooky west coast urban dweller, I really have to push back on this narrative that has largely been forwarded by talking heads who have willingly distorted reality and/or uncritically joined in on circular, insular discussions (some examples might be some notable writers who now make a living on Substack, maybe their name rhymes with Mandrew Mullivan or Dairy Deiss....or Eve Fartlow). Mores on speech and societal norms did not suddenly appear one day from only one side of the political spectrum. Lest we forget "Freedom Fries." The linked podcast is a good listen if one has the time.

I actually really like some Gigi's work. I know some of her hats have ended up in the WTF thread. But some of her dye work is really creative. I would wear one of those Jackson Pollock hats. But she is really up the creek. I guess she blocked me on Instagram because I told her to have some perspective at the beginning of the shelter in place.

Totally agree that both sides of the political spectrum have lost perspective. The illiberalness that has flourished lately where there is no room for dissenting views is not healthy for us as a people. Gone is the Voltaireian concept of "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” It’s healthy to hear the other side and to honestly evaluate it. No need to live in an echo chamber or for anyone to insist they have the right to never hear something that upsets them or that they disagree with. it scares me when everyone on a side is in lock-step and strict loyalty to the entire platform is demanded. This intolerance isn’t the sole domain of any party or philosophy; it’s a cancer that has infected all sides. It has also made the opposition into enemies and is doing real damage to us all. It reminds me of wartime propaganda where the enemy is dehumanized and reduced to caricatures so it’s easier to hate them and want to destroy them. I can’t stand that stuff on either side of the political divide.

I also don’t know any of the people you were referring too. Don’t know that I’ve heard of any of them (even if you would have given their true names). I feel it’s important to be informed, but I despise commentary where I’m told what to think, and TFL is as close to social media as I get.

Just thinking: at work or at my church I’m a dangerous liberal trying to bring about a Marxist revolution. In most anywhere else I’m a staunch fiscal conservative trying to prop up a corrupt system. It’s nice that hats are neutral. :)

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
I think the saddest thing about our public conversation these days is that it has become so overheated that it drives people with less interest in the ins and outs of the ideologies to throw their hands up, yell "both side are the same," and then they don't take the time to learn the actual issues. We need to get back to respecting people's right to an opinion or a political side without trying to destroy their life over it or to attempt to cancel them from society because of it.

I think the saddest thing about our public conversation these days is that it has become so overheated that it drives people with less interest in the ins and outs of the ideologies to throw their hands up, yell "both side are the same," and then they don't take the time to learn the actual issues. We need to get back to respecting people's right to an opinion or a political side without trying to destroy their life over it or to attempt to cancel them from society because of it.

Well said. A little more focus on those things that unite us would be nice too.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
NBCnews.com reported:

Responding to Hatwrks' yellow star, Nashville-area Rabbi Laurie Rice told NBC affiliate WSMV, "For me there's no question, getting vaccinated is putting the community first."
She said she would welcome a conversation with the store owner about history.

"Using the yellow star, or any Holocaust imagery for anything is a disservice to the memory of the 6 million Jews who were systematically murdered during the Holocaust," Rice said.

At least she is willing to talk to them.

The choice to adopt the yellow Magen David - a patch European Jews were forced to wear on their walk to extermination - as a symbol to celebrate the American right to decline to participate in a public health initiative - embraces ignorance, hate and specifically, anti-Semitism.

If it was just a case of selling the armband and equating the treatment of Jews by the nazis to vaccinations then it could be just ignorance (similar to Prince Harry dressing as Hitler at a costume party). After a cursory glance at her politics and past social media posts, I’m inclined to believe that there is something more nefarious than ignorance at work here.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The choice to adopt the yellow Magen David - a patch European Jews were forced to wear on their walk to extermination - as a symbol to celebrate the American right to decline to participate in a public health initiative - embraces ignorance, hate and specifically, anti-Semitism.
Exactly!

NBCnews.com reported:

Responding to Hatwrks' yellow star, Nashville-area Rabbi Laurie Rice told NBC affiliate WSMV, "For me there's no question, getting vaccinated is putting the community first."
She said she would welcome a conversation with the store owner about history.

"Using the yellow star, or any Holocaust imagery for anything is a disservice to the memory of the 6 million Jews who were systematically murdered during the Holocaust," Rice said.

At least she is willing to talk to them.
Thank you for this post. There are too few examples of folks willing to enter into a discussion about issues and perhaps both come away with a broader perspective instead of this terrible proclivity to outrage and othering.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I don’t see it as antisemitism. I don’t see it as a dig on Jewish people, but it is disrespectful to equate the two: the Holocaust and vaccinations.

I’m not sure how I feel about Stetson’s decision. Surely you don’t have to agree with someone’s opinions and politics to do business with them. Doing business with a person or company isn’t an endorsement of everything that person or company believes. There seem to be forces at work that insist on a homogeneity in thinking and a total lack of tolerance.

Edit: after reading more about this woman and her history I agree with Stetson and Akubra’s decision to part ways with her.
I have purchased hats from HatWRKS in the past, but I will not do so in the future.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
quoted material deleted

I am surprised at the insensitivity of your post. This is not like the posts of yours I am familiar with. If I misunderstand, please correct me, but I read it as very insensitive.

To say I am disappointed at this situation at Hatwrks and the many other similar is an understatement. I am not sure what to do other than call out my displeasure.

Memorial Day weekend is helping center me. Cheers to all those who protected and continue to protect my freedoms, Eric -

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot