Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON "Self Conforming" Hat

I came across the following which sheds some light from the German perspective (regarding C. G. Wilke's Wool Decatizing process).

( Die Hutmacherkunst: ein Handbuch für den Klein- und Grossbetrieb By Carl Bortfeldt 1902)

"Es gereicht dem Verfasser zur ganz besonderen Freude, das Verdienst, dieses überaus wichtige Verfahren erfunden zu haben, wieder einem Deutschen zuschreiben zu dürfen; aus sicherer Quelle kann derselbe mitteilen, daß C. G. Wilke in Guben bereits 1850 die Dekatur in seiner Fabrik praktisch anwandte.

Fast 20 Iahre oder noch länger dauerte es, ehe diese hochwichtige Neuerung in den übrigen Fabriken eingeführt werden konnte, da der Erfinder, im wohlverstandenen eigenen Interesse das Verfahren geheim hielt, zu damaliger Zeit wohl das einzigste Mittel, dem Erfinder Ersatz für Mühe und Kosten zu bieten. Aber auch heute noch giebt es Erfindungen, namentlich auf chemischem und physikalischem Gebiete, für welche unsere Patentgesetzgebung den Dienst versagt und es bleibt daher dem Erfinder die Geheimhaltung als das einzige Mittel demgemäß berechtigten Nutzen für aufgewendete Mühe und Kosten zu ernten."

Google Translation

"It served the author very special joy to the merit of having invented this very important process to be able to write a German again, from a reliable source, the same report that in 1850 the C. G. Wilke Decatizing in his factory was to use in virtually Guben.

Nearly 20 years or even longer it took before this highly important innovation was introduced in the other factories, as the inventor, in the enlightened self-interest, the process kept secret, at that time probably the only means, the inventor compensation for trouble and expense to offer. But even today there are inventions, notably in chemical and physical areas for which our patent legislation fails the service, and therefore it remains the inventor secrecy as the only means thus legitimate benefits expended effort and cost to harvest.
"

C. G. Wilke (Guben, Germany) was a major contributor in the mechanization of hat making.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I came across the following which sheds some light from the German perspective

Thank you. That sounds resonable. Things are still kept secret to prevent they get "out there". Even if you don't directly replicate the process, you can learn a lot from a patent - and maybe find another just as good process.

It was really nice of you to supply the translation, but it's actually easier for me in German. My German is a bit tarnished - especially when I have to speak or write it - but half inverse sentences in English is even harder. For the fun of it, I just did a translation into Danish. The German is still easier :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24