Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stuff

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
How great would it be if we could get our hands on these films?
stetson1915.jpg

from recent auctions:
StetsonPresentationPocketwatch5.jpg

stetson130thbeltbuckle.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
a follow-up on my recent purchases

There's a lot of great stuff in these booklets about Stetson employees serving in WWII, victory gardens, war bonds, various materials drives, and other wartime stories. These are company newsletters, so they read like notes between friends, recounting parties, expressing joy and condolence, and sharing day-to-day information.

To me, the most interesting hat specific information comes from the president's letter in the September, 1944 issue, where he writes that Stetson's strategy to deal with the very large lift in sales expected at the War's end was to create and market more hats for specific occasions. We've seen this plan realized through all of those ads where an outfit is paired with the perfect hat for the situation, like the Playboy ad below.

There are plenty of fun tidbits in the booklets as well. Though these may have been exceeded by now, as of the 1945 issue the smallest hat size Stetson ever produced was a 5 1/2, while the largest was a 9 1/2. :eek: Sombreros and high crowned (Tom Mix style) cowboy hats are referred to as "cranial parachutes". lol

Lefty said:

stetson6.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If I understand the photobucket faqs correctly, all of my photos should be back up within about a week.

In the meantime, I thought this printing block was pretty interesting, as I'd never previously seen this Stetson logo. The auction just closed with the block unsold.
P1010027-5.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Posted a pic with flash in the Golden Era Stratoliner thread

This is a large promotional poster, apparently backed on the original
cardboard. I had it framed. This no flash image does have the
reflection of my hall light, which arguably gives a better sense
of scale.

3448232117_cf49cd658b.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
replacing the dead ebay links from post 22 with better photos