Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Surplus

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Nostalgia I?

I saw a reference to an incarnation of Stetson's Nostalgia that predates the current model. After reading that it had a 2 3/4 bound brim, I'm wondering if I own one:

Crown is 6" open, brim is 2 3/4" bound with ribbon that matches the felt. Ribbon is slightly less than 2" (22 ligne I'm guessing):

5079247645_b52718d1a5_z.jpg

Hat is definitely modern - black sweat, metric and english size tag, modern liner:

5079321439_cff35fdbc6.jpg

Logo stamp has a hole punched through it - indicating a return perhaps? I can't find anything wrong with it:

5079915454_27f4d1829f.jpg

Retailed by Byrnie Utz in Seattle; I got it second-hand on ebay:

5079321507_7b7cb0586c.jpg

It's kind of stiff, but still a nice lid - I get a lot of nice comments on it. Just curious if anyone knows what model it is...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
Duplicate post, remove it is you want.

Is the Stetson Temple a good outdoor hat or not?

Thanks

Last edited:

1961MJS

Stetson Temple as an outdoors hat

Hi

The Stetson outlet in Independence MO is on my way back to my parent's house. I assume that I can get a Stetson Temple there (if they have one) at a lower price than an Akubra Fed IV. As of 13 October 2010, the Fed IV is a little over $100.00, but shipping is $37 plus from Australia to Kansas. I've read in several places that the Temple (and other Stetsons) bleed dye badly, and tend to shrink after they get wet. Apparently, the Temples get a serious taper after they've been wet. I'd be buying either as a cool weather outdoor hat because my What Price Glory British Bush hat (Wool) doesn't hold it's shape when wet. My first goal is to buy a half beaver hat from Jaxonbilt, so my money isn't unlimited. If I get too much negative Information on the Temple, I'll just wait until the dollar comes back, or the Temples improve or H*ll freezes over I guess.

Is the Stetson Temple a good outdoor hat or not?

Thanks

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Can’t say anything about the Temple and tapering, but as to the powder issue in general – just take your hat outside when you get it and brush the powder out with a hat brush and you’ll never have a problem. The powder just makes it look really pretty off the shelf and evens out the color.

After you brush it out, spray it with some distilled water and let it dry. The spots you missed will show up clearly, so just take a brush to them and you’ll be all set for the next rainstorm. Definitely not the big issue folks make it out to be, so don’t let it dissuade you away from a Stetson if all your other requirements are met. :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Mike

I have a 35-year-old Resistol ... and I mean I have owned it that long ... that started out as a cowboy hat, dark brown, and a couple of years ago I trimmed the brim, restyled the crown and added a nice, wide Petersham ribbon, ending up with a great looking and tough as nails "Raiders" fedora.
It's a great every day hat that I don't have to be careful with.
Here's the thing.
This great hat, which has been a wonderful friend to me, bleeds brown every single time it gets wet.
I wet it down to reform both the crown and the brim and the felt worked just great ... it's a terrific hat ... but my fingers turn brown, the water dripping off it is brown.
And what is weird is ... this hat is exactly the same color it was the day I bought it.
So where's the dye coming from?
Go figure, but it's still a great hat ... and living further west in Kansas than you are, I frankly don't worry too much about being caught out in the rain for prolonged periods of time.
Grab the Stetson, or find a good fur felt cowboy at the thrift store and build yourself a "super fedora" for hard use.

Good luck,

Sam

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I just bought a Stetson Saxon at Bencraft Hats in NYC. This is the third hat I bought from them, and I still can't get over their great service. Those guys will pretty much turn the place upside down to help you in any way they can. And there's no pressure at all; you can just poke around and chat, and try on hats if you like. Great place to visit if you're in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Also, the prices are the lowest I've seen, even on the Internet.

Tony

Neophyte

You know, I started this thread as a counterpart to Akubra Overload...

Somehow I've yet to purchase a Stetson. I think I have some ideas for Christmas ;)!
Hope to contribute to my own thread someday lol. Until then, keep it up fellas, the hats are looking great.

Big_e

Practically Family
You know, I started this thread as a counterpart to Akubra Overload...

Somehow I've yet to purchase a Stetson. I think I have some ideas for Christmas ;)!
Hope to contribute to my own thread someday lol. Until then, keep it up fellas, the hats are looking great.

Yeah Doctor, you created this monster, now you have to get a Stetson and join us. ;)

Big_e

Practically Family
I saw a reference to an incarnation of Stetson's Nostalgia that predates the current model. After reading that it had a 2 3/4 bound brim, I'm wondering if I own one:

Crown is 6" open, brim is 2 3/4" bound with ribbon that matches the felt. Ribbon is slightly less than 2" (22 ligne I'm guessing):

5079247645_b52718d1a5_z.jpg

Hat is definitely modern - black sweat, metric and english size tag, modern liner:

5079321439_cff35fdbc6.jpg

Logo stamp has a hole punched through it - indicating a return perhaps? I can't find anything wrong with it:

5079915454_27f4d1829f.jpg

Retailed by Byrnie Utz in Seattle; I got it second-hand on ebay:

5079321507_7b7cb0586c.jpg

It's kind of stiff, but still a nice lid - I get a lot of nice comments on it. Just curious if anyone knows what model it is...

That is a beautiful hat and just my size too! Do you keep any rottweilers at the house? and when is feeding time? ;)
Ernest

Neophyte

Yeah Doctor, you created this monster, now you have to get a Stetson and join us. ;)

I know, I know. Unfortunately Stetson doesn't make many models that either a.) match my features, or b.) appeal to me.

I've found a few, and now that I'm branching out into outbacks and westerns, maybe Stetson will have something for me.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I know, I know. Unfortunately Stetson doesn't make many models that either a.) match my features, or b.) appeal to me.

I've found a few, and now that I'm branching out into outbacks and westerns, maybe Stetson will have something for me.

I'm oddly attracted to one of Stetson's westerns at present. the Boss of the Plains "distressed" model.

product_10798_116_44_36.jpg

They have this lighter silverbelly-ish color, a darker brown, then black.

I may break down and check with the outlets on this one someday.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Can’t say anything about the Temple and tapering, but as to the powder issue in general – just take your hat outside when you get it and brush the powder out with a hat brush and you’ll never have a problem. The powder just makes it look really pretty off the shelf and evens out the color.

After you brush it out, spray it with some distilled water and let it dry. The spots you missed will show up clearly, so just take a brush to them and you’ll be all set for the next rainstorm. Definitely not the big issue folks make it out to be, so don’t let it dissuade you away from a Stetson if all your other requirements are met. :)

That's a good suggestion. I'll have to log that one in my memory bank.

Randy

P.S funny avatar, B.J

theinterchange

One Too Many
I know what you mean on this one, Alexander. My Birthday is in January, it always made for "smaller" birthday gifts as a kid, and even now. Say someone [normally my grandma] gives me $100 for Jesus' birthday, it'll be $25 for my birthday... Though, I'm not gonna do the John Lennon and say that I'm more popular than Jesus. :p

These days, it's no big deal... but when you're a kid, it's different.

Randy

1961MJS

I know what you mean on this one, Alexander. My Birthday is in January, it always made for "smaller" birthday gifts as a kid, and even now. Say someone [normally my grandma] gives me $100 for Jesus' birthday, it'll be $25 for my birthday... Though, I'm not gonna do the John Lennon and say that I'm more popular than Jesus. :p

These days, it's no big deal... but when you're a kid, it's different.

Randy
Hi Randy

You don't have it too bad. I knew a couple that were both born on December 25th, so they got married Xmas day too. Merry Xmas, Happy Birthday, and Happy Anniversary, here's a toaster.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner