Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson too big!

Griff

New in Town
Hey guys -

Got my new Stetson Lodi today. I posted here a few weeks ago to check out any info any of you might of had. No one knew much of anything about the Lodi. Anyway, got the hat from The Fedora Store and I really like it. Perfect brim size (2 1/4 ) for me. Color is just right. Feels wonderful (it's a wool/cashmere blend). Soft and smooth and a nice firm structure to the hat. Real nice hat for a little over $100. I really like it.
But... the darn thing is too big. Took it out of the box, admired the beauty of it, put it on my head and my heart sank. It feels like it floats on my head - not fits my head. I can actually slide my index finger between the hat and my head at my temple area. I measured my head - with a cloth tape and about a finger width above my ears and across the largest part of my forehead - several times and always came up with 23in. (59cm) which translates to 7 3/8 hat size. If I pulled the tape tight I could get to 22 3/4 which would have stepped me down to the 58cm size. Maybe that's what I should have ordered but I've read that you should not measure too tight and if you fall in between two sizes go to the larger of the two.
Any suggestions? I'm not sure the Fedora Store is going to work with me on an exchange. I'm really disappointed with them. I was told when I ordered it that it was a special order. Maybe it's my fault.
Did I measure wrong? Does Stetson usually fit large? Is there a way to shrink it? I wish now I would have ordered the 7 1/4 and then stretched it a little.
Any advise or help would sure be appreciated. This is my first felt fedora and I have plans to get a couple more (looking at Tesi and Dobbs).
Help me out guys my head's cold and my heart's sad.

Modern Stetsons are notoriously round & most heads are not. I'm a Long Oval & a Stetson 7 5/8 fits me well front to back but I can slide my fingers in at the temple as you described. I go to Wal-Mart & from the craft dept buy squares of craft felt for about 35 cents a square. Cut a couple of strips to place behind the sweatband on the sides to snug up the fit. Wearing the hat will cause a new sweatband to contract some. You can speed that up by wetting the sweatband & getting it to dry quickly. I've worn my Stetson Roadmaster while doing chores & got a good sweat going. I let it dry off my head & it fits my Long Oval shape now. It is always best to have a new hat that needs to come to your head than one you have to start off stretching. HTH

stealthboy

New in Town
Griff said:
Hey guys -

Got my new Stetson Lodi today. I posted here a few weeks ago to check out any info any of you might of had. No one knew much of anything about the Lodi. Anyway, got the hat from The Fedora Store and I really like it. Perfect brim size (2 1/4 ) for me. Color is just right. Feels wonderful (it's a wool/cashmere blend). Soft and smooth and a nice firm structure to the hat. Real nice hat for a little over $100. I really like it.
But... the darn thing is too big. Took it out of the box, admired the beauty of it, put it on my head and my heart sank. It feels like it floats on my head - not fits my head. I can actually slide my index finger between the hat and my head at my temple area. I measured my head - with a cloth tape and about a finger width above my ears and across the largest part of my forehead - several times and always came up with 23in. (59cm) which translates to 7 3/8 hat size. If I pulled the tape tight I could get to 22 3/4 which would have stepped me down to the 58cm size. Maybe that's what I should have ordered but I've read that you should not measure too tight and if you fall in between two sizes go to the larger of the two.
Any suggestions? I'm not sure the Fedora Store is going to work with me on an exchange. I'm really disappointed with them. I was told when I ordered it that it was a special order. Maybe it's my fault.
Did I measure wrong? Does Stetson usually fit large? Is there a way to shrink it? I wish now I would have ordered the 7 1/4 and then stretched it a little.
Any advise or help would sure be appreciated. This is my first felt fedora and I have plans to get a couple more (looking at Tesi and Dobbs).
Help me out guys my head's cold and my heart's sad.

I had this EXACT problem with a recent Stetson Homburg. I measured my head and was kinda in between 58 and 59, so I went with the 59 (which still should have fit fine). Way too big and floated on my head. Exchanged for a 58 and it's snug now (even stretching it a bit slowly to get the perfect fit for my oval head).

Griff

New in Town
Wondering with all this in mind, that if The Fedora Store won't work with me on an exchange, does anyone know if Stetson would exchange it for a 58cm if I sent it to them direct?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I think it'd be worth your while to at least shoot The Fedora Store an email to see if they'll work with you on an exchange. If not, I think gtdean's pretty well covered it.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
First of all, they should exchange the hat for you. We take back any hat if there is a size issue. We also stock everything in our catalog and website in depth. You might want to try getting some felt pads and stick them under the sweatband . This can help with the size.
As far as long ovals go. this is a big problem with us. Todays manufacturers dont understand that head shpaes have changed over the years. Head have gotten more long oval . This can affect the way a hat fits greatly. The problem is that most companies wont invest in new blocks .
Next time , buy from a store that stocks the hat !!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24