Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Windham?

Donato

One of the Regulars
Does anyone own either a Stetson Windham? I love the sharp design of this hat.

Brim: 2 1/2" snap with bound edge
Crown: 4" in front and 4 3/4" sides
Fur felt Sovereign quality
Price: $140
StetsonWindhamMinkBrn.jpg

I suppose Jimmy Pierce can make the same model for the same price! If anyone has this one or any other Sovereign models, I'd like to know what you think of it. Thanks.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have the Windham in black. Alas, not pictures yet.
It's quite a unique hat. The brim isn't just bound. After the binding ribbon, the edge is then top-welted! The felt feels very thick, but surprisingly soft. The crown has a bit more taper than I'd prefer, but it's a very sharp hat. It constantly draws compliments. I had to trim the feather a bit, though. It was insane!

Over all, I like the hat. I didn't think I'd ever have interest in owning another Stetson, but I must say I'm pleased. Note, however, that I do not plan to wear it in the rain!!!!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Whatever hat I'm wearing stays on my head, even when it's raining. I've never made a note of which ones got rained on and which ones didn't. I'll try to remember to wear this one next time it rains, and get back to you. :)

Donato

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know how the Stetson Windham differs from or compares to the Akubra Stylemaster or Bogart. All three are 2 1/5" bound edge brim and the crown heights are quite similar. Thanks.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Donato said:
Does anyone know how the Stetson Windham differs from or compares to the Akubra Stylemaster or Bogart. All three are 2 1/5" bound edge brim and the crown heights are quite similar. Thanks.

Look at the brim edge. Bound edge and overwelt

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I believe one of those Akubras is an open crown, too. Also, look at the ribbon widths. I think the Windham ribbon is noticable wider, which changes the look of the hat.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Stetson Windham

We carry the Stetson Windham in two colors , black and brown. It was a great seller . This year , Stetson is adding a third color Tawny . I think most retailers are getting 140.00 for it. The hat is from Stetsons Soverign collection. I also believe that they are making it in a 2 inch version as well .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It has been cold and rainy, here, for two days. But every time I put my Windham on my head and go outside, the rain slacks up. I got it wet, but not nearly wet enough to call it a good test. I'll keep trying. :)

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
OK, I've worn mine in the rain, three times, now. What exactly is it that was supposed to happen if I did that?

I think the fear the others felt was that the hat was supposed to self-destruct or something along those lines. [huh]

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
OK, I've worn mine in the rain, three times, now. What exactly is it that was supposed to happen if I did that?

Popular wisdom is that Stetsons shrink and taper once exposed to rain. I've had a Chatham for a decade now that has been rained on hundreds of times (and snowed on and bird pooped on...) and nothing has happened to it at all (except for one incident I described in another thread - I think - when a kind coat check person put it on a radiator to dry... the brim rippled, but I ironed it and never had another problem).

If yours has had no ill effects - any photographic evidence? - then that is a blow against the popular wisdom.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Something else that has happened with Stetsons in years past is that the powdered dye runs out when it rains. I had a black Stetson many years ago, and anytime it rained, the water would run black down my back.

This may have been taken care of by now.

Brad

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
jake_fink said:
Popular wisdom is that Stetsons shrink and taper once exposed to rain. I've had a Chatham for a decade now that has been rained on hundreds of times (and snowed on and bird pooped on...) and nothing has happened to it at all (except for one incident I described in another thread - I think - when a kind coat check person put it on a radiator to dry... the brim rippled, but I ironed it and never had another problem).

If yours has had no ill effects - any photographic evidence? - then that is a blow against the popular wisdom.

I just took this shot. I also put it on my head, just to make sure. As near as I can tell, it's virtually the same as it was when I first got it (about a year ago).

P1040618.jpg

(My apologies for the feather. My wife likes them!)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I prefer the feather on the Windham, so I kept mine. Although I trimmed it a little.

My main fear is the dye running. With a dark hat, it would be obvious, you know. So, with talk of Stetson using a powdered dye touch-up, and horror stories about black rings on people's heads, I don't like the idea of wearing a dark Stetson in the rain. I'm glad to hear that yours is not causing a problem, Marcus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy