Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Canyon Comic Strips

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Anybody know about this (other than Wiki scholarship)?

I was reading a book, The Ravens, and they mentioned this comic strip series.

M8

Corto

A-List Customer
:)

First off, The Ravens is a great book...I'm glad to meet another human being who's read it.

Second, I'm not going to be able to tell you any more than Wikipedia about Steve Canyon and Milton Caniff. BUT, I can tell you that you can get used copies of reprint editions of Steve Canyon comic strips for pennies on Amazon.com. The strips will help you understand the reason why the USAF chose Steve Canyon to build the mysterious ethos behind the Raven FACs.

My recommendation to start your Steve Canyon collection is to get the strip collection called "In Formosa's Dire Straits".

Also, don't forget to check out the Raven FACs website: ravens.org
They have very cool t-shirts for sale...

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Thanks Corto. And yes, The Ravens was fantastic. Unbelievable story of these maverick pilots.

I've been through SE Asia, but have not hit Laos yet. I've been thinking long-term of doing an HCM Trail ride there on a motorcycle.

Cheers,

M8

Corto

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
Thanks Corto
I've been through SE Asia, but have not hit Laos yet. I've been thinking long-term of doing an HCM Trail ride there on a motorcycle.
The HCM Trail on motorcycle! Yikes! Remember what happened to Sean Flynn...(see "Dispatches" by Michael Herr)

Anyways...
If you liked The Ravens, don't miss "Air America" also by Christopher Robbins.
Controversial book. Takes place in the same area of operations...

Also check out "Codename Mule" by James E. Parker Jr.. It kind of toes the party line in a couple of places that made me dislike it in the end...but...it's a good memoir by a CIA paramilitary officer about operations in Laos.

"Tragic Mountains" is a more "academic" book- but a good popular history of the secret war in the Laotian "theater" and the Hmong people.

(There's also a "new" memoir called "Quoth the Raven" by Jim Roper, but I haven't read it yet...)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Actually the HCM has been cleaned up a lot. The trouble is finding it! lol There's a few Vietnam tour operators selling an HCM tour, but the tour stays in Vietnam. Huh? :rage: They may be capitalizing on our ignorance, as the HCM Highway is not the same as the HCM Trail.

Laos did not have the land mine problem that Cambodia still has and I hear the banditry has been cleaned up. I'm still wondering what would be a good bike to do this on.

Air America is on my readling list, probably for later this year.

M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic