Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

still digging: size 8LO, or perhaps 8 1/4?

clsecmbt

New in Town
I managed to obtain a size 8 Temple on ebay some time ago. Since then I have noticed a couple things:

1. The hat appears a bit too tight, at times I've had a small headache from it's fit.
2. I have "space" above my ears where the hat bows out, I assume a long oval cut would fix this?

The last time I asked around, it seems everyone was pointing to custom, I imagine that is still the case.

I suppose I'm more interested in my long oval question.

clsecmbt said:
I managed to obtain a size 8 Temple on ebay some time ago. Since then I have noticed a couple things:

1. The hat appears a bit too tight, at times I've had a small headache from it's fit.
2. I have "space" above my ears where the hat bows out, I assume a long oval cut would fix this?

The last time I asked around, it seems everyone was pointing to custom, I imagine that is still the case.

I suppose I'm more interested in my long oval question.

Yep, you have a long Oval head if there is room at the sides but not front to back. You could probably stretch that hat or have it ovalized fairly easily. The problem is that it would likely shrink back with the felt that is used.
You really are left with the custom route because there really is no such thing as a long oval anymore---much less in that size. ;) You could go up a size---if you could find one in the larger size. [huh]

Regards,

J

BigSho

Vendor
Stretching the temple should solve the problem with the room on the side and the headahce problem. Make sure that you over stretch it jus ta little and leave it on the stretcher overnight. It will come back on you but it will take some time and really has nothing to do with the felt. If you want something that fits you should go custom because there is no hat maker that goes bigger than an 8. Biltmore makes an 8 that I find fits better than the ones that stetson makes. Good luck.

Jeremy

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The only hat we have bigger than an 8 is a Biltmore in size 8 1/4. It is similar to the Temple in one color ,steel gray . Other than that , call Art and you may get a perfect fitting hat after all!!

Steven

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Dont feel bad . We have a customer who is a size 8 3/8 !!!. You should see his hat .

Steven

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
As an owner of a size 7 3/4 extra long oval head (my own,thank you...)reading about fellows with an even bigger melon makes me feel a lot better. I'm not alone! Art helped me attain 'hatfulness'. You won't regret making the investment.

BigSho

Vendor
Since when does biltmore make an 8 1/4 I am going to have to have a talk with my friend Erica tommorrow. You opened up a can of worms Besdor . . .. .grrrr!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
clsecmbt said:
What would be the best method for stretching this lid?
917_sm.gif

found here: Manhattan Wardrobe Supply
...or better yet find one of the many vintage hat stetchers on ebay. Tho' I dunno if you can easily find the size stretcher you need in a vintage item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou