Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stitch Awl Tutorial - Sweatband Installation

sulla

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks Bamaboots! I totally missed that tutorial in my searching. I prefer a sharpened McKay stitcher, so I think it'd do the job. I usually use it for lock stitching shoe uppers to the soles.

42103352122_2f0754da68_b.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
30D49F3A-F057-449C-9FE5-E25775D6C028.jpeg
8B4AA64B-1D57-457C-808C-56658A62B173.jpeg
Wow, thanks Bamaboots! I totally missed that tutorial in my searching. I prefer a sharpened McKay stitcher, so I think it'd do the job. I usually use it for lock stitching shoe uppers to the soles.

42103352122_2f0754da68_b.jpg
Greetings Sulla:
Not to be a smart**s but sweatbands are not shoes. You have the right idea but get a sewing machine needle and use it in your awl if it fits. Or better yet a pen vise and sewing needle.
No need to bring a cannon to a flyswatter fight.
Be well. Bowen

milandro

A-List Customer
I would like to stitch a sweatband into an Akubra Snowy River that I am renovating. This is the first time I am going to attempt this and actually I have asked my wife (whom has no experience with hats but quite a bit with sawing fabric) to help me, since I am not very skilled at this and somewhat impaired by two carpal tunnel operations which left my fine finger dexterity even less than it was before. Anyway. I took a look at this thread (excuse the pun) but the pictures show all blurred to me which may be because the hosting site no longer has them? Could anyone publish them again, or even better, could any experienced person make a good Youtube video and actually provide the entire hat community at large with a resorce that isn’t (I’ve tried and tried) well explained in a tutorial video on that platform?

I am absolutely sure that your Karma will be forever improved by all those clicks and blessings which will result from publishing such a video! :);)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto