Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stitching

clevispin

One of the Regulars
I was looking at the leather jackets and wondered - With all the better living thru chemistry - Are there miracle adhesives that could replace the thread/stitching? Other alternatives? m

Dav

One Too Many
For me the stitching is part of the aesthetics of the jacket, to replace it with glue even if it was stronger just wouldn't look as good imo.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of course the stitching is a key part of the appeal of a vintage jacket and to suggest they could be glue bonded is IMO laughable.:rolleyes:

clevispin

One of the Regulars
I agree stitching can be attractive but buttons used to be the cat's ass and then zippers came along...Wondering what might come along in the future. m

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree stitching can be attractive but buttons used to be the cat's ass and then zippers came along...Wondering what might come along in the future. m

I thought this forum is about vintage clothing not about crystal ball gazing developments in constructing jackets.:confused:

I don't think it's a foul myself. Legit question.
I hope stitching never goes away, but I think some makers do use some glue. Maybe only as a tack.

zaman fu

Familiar Face
I can't imagine glue ever being better than stitching for purposes of assembling a leather jacket. Glue only bonds surfaces, whereas stitching goes all the way through the leather. With glue, you would risk the top layer of the leather shearing off at a glue joint.

Corky

Practically Family
A leather craftsman will use both glue (usually Barge Cement) and various kinds of stitching when and where each is appropriate. Sometimes one is used to reinforce the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo