Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stocking Recommendations?

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Can anyone recommend a brand of stockings that I won't put my toe thru on the first wear! :rage:

I had been wearing vasserrette since they are cheap and were easy to come by at Target, but they've discontinued the line there and frankly they get a bit droopy after a few wears....so, switched to Victoria's Secret and for my $8 a pair, I am getting one wear, then my big toe is right on thru it. I'm just so annoyed!

So do I go cheap or go expensive? If anyone can recommend a lasting brand I would be forever in your debt as I wear stockings daily to work and these runners are giving me the blues!

Honey Doll

miss noir

New in Town
i second magnolia. i only wear them for evenings and special occasions as they are a bit on the pricey side for me, but they are fantastic.

my daily stockings are by Cette and i can sometimes get 2 or 3 weeks out of them no problem, as long as i can avoid my daughters velcro shoes!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another Magnolia wearer here -- although I find that some batches of them seem to wear better than others, usually I can get seven or eight wears out of a pair before they start to go. I'm very careful about rinsing them out at night, and I think that helps them last longer.

Best stockings I've ever owned, though, are four pairs of 50s-vintage Phoenix No-Runs. I've been wearing them on a rotation basis for over a year now, and although a couple of holes have developed in the toes, i've been able to darn them, and they just keep wearing and wearing and wearing. They're kind of a mesh knit -- not as sheer as the regular kind, but wow, how durable!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm sorry to hear that Target discontinued their line. If you are used to Vassarette, I'm guessing you like stretch stockings?

If so, you may find Magnolia, or indeed any 100% nylon non-stretch stocking, a little bit strange at first. They are wonderful to wear, but may not be what you're looking for.

I have great luck with Palmer brand stockings, which is an Austrian company somehow linked with the oft-recommended, and very expensive, Wolford brand. They are available online but I hesitate to post the link as there may be some inappropriate photos on the site. They are based in England but the prices are competitive and shipping costs about as much as S&H would from a U.S.-based retailer. PM me and I'll send you the URL right away. This site also sells Le Bourget, whose "Essentiel" style is extremely durable, and Levante, whose stockings also wear very well.

If you would like to try a non-stretch stocking, Magnolia does make a fine pair, but you might also try National style 400.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The KMarts on East and West Ridge Road still sell Vassarette stockings, also the one on Chili Ave in Chili. Don't know about the one in Webster, I haven't been to that store yet. Which Target stores carried Vassarette, just out of curiousity? I had never been able to find stockings of any kind at Target, but haven't been to the ones in Irondequoit or Webster yet.

Ccc

New in Town
Silk Stockings

About once a year, I splurge and order real silk stockings from these people:

http://www.alexis4u.com/silkstockings.htm

They are a bit pricey, but are fun to try. They will not feel or "give" as nylon will, but they do give you a sense of what was once a more common clothing item.

Have fun with it!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Thanks!

BegintheBeguine said:
The KMarts on East and West Ridge Road still sell Vassarette stockings, also the one on Chili Ave in Chili. Don't know about the one in Webster, I haven't been to that store yet. Which Target stores carried Vassarette, just out of curiousity? I had never been able to find stockings of any kind at Target, but haven't been to the ones in Irondequoit or Webster yet.

Henrietta always had them.... I typically avoid Walmart if I can, just not a very fun place to shop.....but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do!

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions ladies, I knew I could count on you!

As to the Magnolia's, is there any particular website you'd recommend?

Honey Doll

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Got my magnolias!

I am loving these stockings!!! I got 4 pair of the RHT without seams (M-- I'm 5'5"). So far not a single toe runner...although I sacrificed one pair the first day to the office gods when I dropped a spiral notebook down my leg.

I have a new favorite! Thanks again!

Honey Doll

Miss_Bella_Hell

Whoa, holy boobies on the Magnolia site. I am pretty cheap unless I am buying vintage FF stockings - how many wears do you ladies typically get out of the magnolia every day type stockings?

Grace

Vendor
Do any of the cheaper brands (Vassarette, GV) have seamed stockings or cuban heeled stockings?

Someone told me they get their cubans at WalMart, and I ran right out and looked in that aisle for a good 30 minutes and found nothing. I think I saw on the Penneys (?) website that they have nude fishnets? My memory fails me sometimes...

Honey Doll

Practically Family
i was blushing.....

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Whoa, holy boobies on the Magnolia site. I am pretty cheap unless I am buying vintage FF stockings - how many wears do you ladies typically get out of the magnolia every day type stockings?

Yep, boobies in all their glory....probably why no one attached a link.

I've gotten a full weeks wear out of this pair and they look like new. I spent roughly the same on a pair from victoria's Secret that I ran thru before I hit the office on day one. Money well spent.

Honey Doll

Miss_Bella_Hell

Honey Doll said:
Yep, boobies in all their glory....probably why no one attached a link.

I've gotten a full weeks wear out of this pair and they look like new. I spent roughly the same on a pair from victoria's Secret that I ran thru before I hit the office on day one. Money well spent.

Honey Doll

lol I guess I should have noticed that.
That is great to know...I might have to upgrade!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Magnolia full-fashioneds very rarely pop a wear and tear-type run for me -- the toes and welts are good and strong. They are, however, very vulnerable to snagging, so beware of that. Last night I wrecked half of a brand new pair by scraping it gently against the edge of a film can -- muchly aggravating!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The Magnolia full-fashioneds very rarely pop a wear and tear-type run for me -- the toes and welts are good and strong. They are, however, very vulnerable to snagging, so beware of that. Last night I wrecked half of a brand new pair by scraping it gently against the edge of a film can -- muchly aggravating!

This is true--I snagged a brand new pair on my marcasite watch the other day and was terribly annoyed :mad:

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
For UK, EU Gals!

There is a seller on ebay called FFNYL who sells FF stockings at a reasonable price - just got mine and they are quite wonderful. And how much BETTER does 100% Nylon feel? I feel so glamorous in mine :D

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
~landgirl~ said:
There is a seller on ebay called FFNYL who sells FF stockings at a reasonable price - just got mine and they are quite wonderful. And how much BETTER does 100% Nylon feel? I feel so glamorous in mine :D

I've bought nylons from the FFNYL seller too in the past, very recommendable. They sell stockings in that lovely Copper colour that I love, and they have cheaper seconds too, you just have to e-mail and ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes