Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storm cuffs?

ins0ma

New in Town
I'm trying to decide if I want storm cuffs on the new Highwayman I just bought. I haven't finalized the details of the jacket yet, so I have a little time to think, but I'm wondering if I really need the "storm cuffs." I don't ride a bike, and I'd like to be able to look at my watch and take gloves on and off without any undue hassle. And without the cuffs, maybe I could have the tartan lining extended to the cuff area. . . Any thoughts?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I love the storm cuffs, and I do not find they hinder me looking at my watch at all. They are totally hidden and inside the cuff so are not obtrusive at all.

On a related detail, I'd recomend you get an inside pocket, it's really uselful.

Here's my own HWM:

AeroJacketmeasurementsMay2007001-2.jpg

Graemsay

Practically Family
I agree with Mr. 'H'. Nice looking jacket there, by the way.

I've had storm cuffs on my previous three Aeros, and never found that they've got in the way. Number four, which should be with me next week, doesn't have them because it's a Cossack(ish) jacket, but I would have left them in if I'd gone for anything else.

Inside pockets are always useful. All my jackets have had a pair of them.

ins0ma

New in Town
Thanks for the input, fellas. I'm still undecided, but hearing that other people have no problem with the cuffs makes me lean towards leaving them on the jacket, although I still like the idea of tartan-lined cuffs instead of the storm version. I've already decided on 2 inside pockets. And that is a great jacket you've got there, Mr H -- the fur collar makes it really unique I think.

missionamp

New in Town
ins0ma said:
Thanks for the input, fellas. I'm still undecided, but hearing that other people have no problem with the cuffs makes me lean towards leaving them on the jacket, although I still like the idea of tartan-lined cuffs instead of the storm version. I've already decided on 2 inside pockets. And that is a great jacket you've got there, Mr H -- the fur collar makes it really unique I think.

I agree with those who say the cuffs aren't a problem. They end above where my watch is, and therefore don't hinder access to it at all. They also seem to fit rather loosely, at least on my HM, and so slide up and down my arm easily while keeping the upper arm warmer. Still, I can see the appeal of not having them as well; that's the fun of getting a custom jacket!

Peacoat

Bartender
I got the storm cuffs on my HM because I ride a bike. If I didn't ride, I would still want the cuffs on the jacket. They don't get in the way of my watch and keep my arms quite a bit warmer.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Mark Moye told me that the sleeves on the Highwayman would be too large without storm cuffs unless one used button cuffs, which was also commonly used on utility jackets of that era. The website below is Mark's Aero pictures of a Cossack, somewhat similar to the Highwayman. I see no reason why storm cuffs or button cuffs could not be used on either jacket. I ordered my Highwayman with storm cuffs rather than button cuffs but suspect that would have been pleased had I gone with either since I do not ride.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5293349&uid=142228

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925