Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stormy Kromer Mackinaw Coat

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Does anybody have this coat? What are you opinions of this coat or the company? The coat looks vintage enough and the color is vibrant on the red and black model. It's made of imported 100% wool, comes with a handy zip out liner, and is made in the USA. Versus the ubiquitous Filson, I prefer the look somehow. Thank you.

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/outerwear/the-mackinaw-coat

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Stormy Kromer hats are a classic and are very high quality caps. I have no experience with the coats but if they're built like the caps then they should be good quality.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You can pick up an original Mackinaw jacket for a song on eBay. I got the same style, made by Woolrich, for £20 ($35) in tip-top condition.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
mackcoat.png

The dark brown jacket in their example looks really sharp. Why aren't they offering that color to customers?

mattface

Practically Family
I like them, but I like Filson better. Both are pricey, and it's true vintage are easy to come by, and often nicer than these admittedly nice jackets if you can find them in your size and in good condition.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I prefer this jacket to the Filson, for the reason that it uses buttons (easily repairable if needed) instead of snap closures (can tear out of wool, then it's toast). I also witnessed FIlson's overnight increase of $50 to the cost of their mackinaw jacket.

I'm considering Bemidji Woolen Mills' North Shore and Big Fork jackets as alternatives to Johnson, Filson and Stormy Kromer. They're made in the US of US materials, use no snaps or zippers and are lower priced.

cafeblitz

New in Town
Nyah, if you go with one of those two, let us know how you like it. I have been thinking about a Filson Mac Cruiser for some time now, especially since they now offer a slimmer fit, but I'm leaving my options open and waiting for it to really get cold up here before I break down and order one.

winterland1

Practically Family
Nyah, if you go with one of those two, let us know how you like it. I have been thinking about a Filson Mac Cruiser for some time now, especially since they now offer a slimmer fit, but I'm leaving my options open and waiting for it to really get cold up here before I break down and order one.

I noticed the Alaska Fit "regular" and Seattle Fit "fitted" in the new catalogs as an option for many styles. Looks like Filson is trying to appeal to the younger customer. Not a bad idea.
I think you will be fine with any of the above wool coat manufacturers. It all comes down to your style preference and correct size.

D

Deleted member 16736

I prefer this jacket to the Filson, for the reason that it uses buttons (easily repairable if needed) instead of snap closures (can tear out of wool, then it's toast). I also witnessed FIlson's overnight increase of $50 to the cost of their mackinaw jacket.

I'm considering Bemidji Woolen Mills' North Shore and Big Fork jackets as alternatives to Johnson, Filson and Stormy Kromer. They're made in the US of US materials, use no snaps or zippers and are lower priced.

The Bemidji Voyageur Double Jac Shirt in red and black plaid is very nice and uses 100% 28 oz. wool. The Johnson Woolen Mills double jac shirt is another option.

https://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?itemid=bm07_97

cafeblitz

New in Town
Here is another option handmade in Duluth MN area.
http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/
A little different than the usual Cruiser but built to heavy duty specs. Thay have a few designs but thinking their campcoat. You can order how you like it. Pockets, color etc.

winterland1, thanks for that. The Empire Canvas Camp Coat in olive just became a contender for "next on my list." Already sent the link to the wife and laid the foundation for why I need another coat even though I have one in production for me as I type.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I thought the Stormy Kromer macinaw was a nice coat but I didn't care for the fit, too lose. It's made for the woods and is not something I'd wear on the street so I returned it.

I then bought a Bemidji Voyageurs Jac Coat in the grey plaid (Adirondack plaid) which I kept and wore all last winter. It's cut more conservatively and can be worn to the office. While it's not the macinaw, I can vouch for the excellent price and quality of Bemidji products.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
winterland1, thanks for that. The Empire Canvas Camp Coat in olive just became a contender for "next on my list." Already sent the link to the wife and laid the foundation for why I need another coat even though I have one in production for me as I type.
No problem Cafeblitz.
I will say the Bemidji Woolens are about the best deal you can find on Ebay for quality wool garments. Mainly because they don't have the name recognition as Filson, Kromer etc. I grew up in Northern Minnesota and everyone had Bemidji Woolens wool pants, coats etc. A little more blue collar man pricing even new. Made in Minnesota USA.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to point out that Bemidji has the Jac coat in two different weights with different colors. A 28 oz. virgin wool and a 30 oz. mix.

28 oz coats
30 oz coats

The Jac Coat in brite red has a double button flap pocket. I'm just wondering if you can really wear it as a coat or would it feel uncomfortable over another buttoned down shirt?

It is a coat that's cut more conservatively than a macinaw. I wear it over a T-shirt or a T-shirt & button down shirt. It's not lined, so if wool makes you itch, think twice before wearing a lone short-sleeve shirt under it.

cafeblitz

New in Town
No problem Cafeblitz.
I will say the Bemidji Woolens are about the best deal you can find on Ebay for quality wool garments. Mainly because they don't have the name recognition as Filson, Kromer etc. I grew up in Northern Minnesota and everyone had Bemidji Woolens wool pants, coats etc. A little more blue collar man pricing even new. Made in Minnesota USA.

Thanks again winterland1. I just picked up a vintage Woolrich mackinaw off the bay, for what seems like a great deal, as a test run to see how I like the style in use. I'll post pics and feedback when it arrives. If I like the jacket and can find a use for second, I will be sure to give Bemidji the first look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael