Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange movie's hat.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
I've just seen the movie called "They drive by night" with Humphrey Bogart etc..
I've seen, in it, a lot of hats. All them were with the brims turned up, they were quite like ferdora hat, but everybody wore them with the brims turned up.
What about this style?
Any information?
Many thanks.
Riccardo.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Riccardo- I don't know this movie but my feeling on the brim turned up is a negative one. To me it implies the wearer is a buffoon or rather dopey person. At the very best it portrays to me a simple and innocent chap that just doesn't know how he looks.

There are some hats styles and places where turned up seems to work. Many musicians make that look work. These are mainly narrow stingy brim hats. A 3-inch brim high crown hat turned up looks silly.

Can you imagine Howard Hughes with this hat's brim turned up?:eek:

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
Riccardo- I don't know this movie but my feeling on the brim turned up is a negative one. To me it implies the wearer is a buffoon or rather dopey person. At the very best it portrays to me a simple and innocent chap that just doesn't know how he looks.
:

Neither a buffoon nor a simpleton.
Bing_Crosby_Oscar.gif

LeeB

Familiar Face
turned up brim

I have seen the movie in question (They Drive by Night), not a big role for Bogey or his best work, but entertaining nontheless. I have also seen the turned up brim style repeated in other movies of the era and I think the previous post had it correct in that it was meant to denote either a man of lesser intelligence or more often, a working class stiff.

Definately not a look I would emulate, even on a dare.

Feraud

Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:
I missed reading this thread but have a comment to add.

From what I have noticed in films, a turned up brim does frequently denote a relaxed, laid back, informal, or less casual sense of one's surrounding. Bogart's look in those two films do put across these ideas.

In High Society, Frank Sinatra flips his brim up while driving & flirting with Grace Kelly. Frank gives off the impression of "kicking back" and relaxing while Grace takes him for a tour.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Brims can be worn up or down... so which one do you like? One is a little more casual than the other. As far as signifiers go, hello, you're wearing a fedora in the 2000s! Perhaps you want to cater to the one or two people in the body public who might associate a turned up brim with being of inferior intelligence or of being *gasp* working class (the one does not always equal the other), but to most people it'll just be a hat. If it looks good on your head, if you like it, then go ahead and wear it.

As for the movie, I don't know if you're saying it was strange or the hats were. The film is based on a novel by A I Bezzerides whose father worked as a trucker. Bezzerides went on to write the screenplay for Kiss Me Deadly. Now that's a strange movie. Great.... but strange.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
OH SO RIGHT !!

jake_fink said:
Brims can be worn up or down... so which one do you like? One is a little more casual than the other. As far as signifiers go, hello, you're wearing a fedora in the 2000s! Perhaps you want to cater to the one or two people in the body public who might associate a turned up brim with being of inferior intelligence or of being *gasp* working class (the one does not always equal the other) but to most people it'll just be a hat. If it looks good on your head, if you like it, then go ahead and wear it.

As for the movie, I don't know if you're saying it was strange or the hats were. The film is based on a novel by A I Bezzerides whose father worked as a trucker. Bezzerides went on to write the screenplay for Kiss Me Deadly. Now that's a strange movie. Great.... but strange.

Very true Sir !!:eusa_clap

Wild Root

Gone Home
I've seen most movies with Mickey Rooney where he wore a fedora, the brim was up! Youth in movies of that time wore the brim up from what I can see... it was some what a less pretentious approach... a brim turned down is in a way to hide or conceal one's eyes... so, in most old movies, the "Bad Guys" had the brims turned down... well, the PI's did too but, they did it to look cool.lol

Now, how about Leo Gorcey? His brim wasn't only turned up, it was pinned back! I wouldn't call him a dope!

My self, I don't care for the brim up look, it don't look so hot on me but, some can rock that look.

=WR=

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's good enough for Prez, it's good enough for me

For the most part, I've seen the upturned brim used to denote a casual or 'hip' style - dig this shot of legendary tenor sax man Lester Young:

lester_young01.jpg

So I can see why truck drivers would have worn their battered and well-used fedoras in a more casual style.

That said, I've also noted some smartly-dressed gentlemen of the Golden Era in pictures and movies wearing their fedoras with brim-up all way 'round whilst wearing business suits. This look strikes me, personally, almost as though the wearer is aping the upturned brim of a homburg.

Interestingly, my Dad was born in 1925 and was a truck driver in the late 40's and early 50's. He never, ever wore a hat, though. Then again, with hair like his was, I can see why he didn't!

RBH

Bartender
Either way

I think the up or down [brim] can work any way you want..
When I was younger.. about two years ago. ha ha
I would never wear a fedora with the back of the brim turned up. But now that I am older, some hats look good that way. Although, I could never wear one with the front up ,on some it looks fine.
If anything I have learned on this lounge is that anything goes!!
I love the 3/8 ribbon on a hat, but some if not most like the wider ribbon.
And truth be told those hats do look great. But... they are not the style I like and think looks good on me.
So, all I can say is wear what you like. You laugh at me and I will laugh at you !!!! but at least we will all be wearing hats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ortega76

Practically Family
Just to throw my .02 in, I prefer my brims up. Why? I agree that many upturned brim wearers in classic films were relaxing or laid-back or otherwise outside the norm. That "look" resonates with me today, even if non-fedora wearers don't see the difference, and I think it matches my personality. In short, I wear it because I like it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Looking cool man! Matt Deckard wears his hat however he feels... if you watch any old 30's Clark Gable movie, you'll see that he wears his hat to reflect his current attitude or mood. The hat used to reflect this I'm the same way in many respects.

For me, the brim up in the back is a must unless I'm wearing a tall crowned early or mid 30's fedora where that style was very popular. If it's a late 30's or 40's hat, the back of the brim has to be turned up! It's just the way they wore'em in the 40's and 50's.

The small brimmed hats in the 50's and 60's look good with the brim up... it's a very sporty and peppy look! Porkpies must have the brim up!!!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy