Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliner Memorabila Collection

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Fletch...

Good detective work on your part. Seems likely that these photographs may have been from the earlier shakedown flights. I have a whole series of first flight postal covers from 1940 which I will have to dig out to check the exact dates the commercial flights commenced.

Nonetheless, it seems clear from the turnout on the observation deck that this had to have been from one of the first flights to/from Muni.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Another find

...not mine originally, but from thepinupfiles.com (an invaluable resource, by the way :rolleyes: )...
I give you the Petty Girl TWA Stratoliner hostess!
petty013.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys...

These are cool photos, aren't they?

BTW, I just commissioned one of our resident FL artists to produce a copy of the Boeing/Stratoliner logo. Will share it with you when he has it done.

Cheers!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Checkout this site...

TWA Flight Attendants

From 1940:

FA1.jpg

The proprietress of this site advises me that: "The suitcases the hostesses are pictured with were custom designed by TWA for the Stratoliner... Their light weight aluminum design made them unique." (TWA's video of the Strat states that the cases were made by Halliburton specifically for the plane. How cool a piece of news is that?)

Note also the snazzy summer uniforms. (White uniforms were, as you might expect, a BEAR to keep clean.)

FA.jpg

This one's for Fletch:

pettygirluniform.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
ZF thanks so much for all this stuff

Now I can stop struggling to understand why the windows are configured differently on the starbord vs. the port side. With the high-dollar seating down one side, as opposed to a front portion of the craft as you find nowadays, do you suppose that created headaches for the balance-the-load folks?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I bet it did in fact...

Boodles said:
Now I can stop struggling to understand why the windows are configured differently on the starbord vs. the port side. With the high-dollar seating down one side, as opposed to a front portion of the craft as you find nowadays, do you suppose that created headaches for the balance-the-load folks?
BTW, guys, I haven't included all of my Stetson Stratoliner ads in this thread. Still looking for this one (Esquire, Nov. 1945):

alpine_blue_strat_and_ad.jpg

$30 (see classifieds).

Talbot

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
The one that splashed into Puget Sound is the one that's now in Virginia at the NASM Annex...

Aristeaus! Welcome to the Lounge. Which flight sim are those screen shots from??

ZF - thanks for a fantastic thread. A truly beautifull plane that is often put in the shadow of the L1049.

If you are running flightsim, fall on over to http://www.calclassic.com/

Given the nature of your interest you may already be a member. If not, these guys will share your interest

Using their guidance I have configured my FS so that there is nothing newer than 1957 in it. Jet free skies really boosts the experience.

Nothing like leaving the gate in your Connie and falling in behind a B307, or entering the circuit with a C-124 on short final.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
A passenger take away folder...

Check out these goodies:

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

11.jpg
12.jpg

15.jpg

From the eBay listing:

Here is a FABULOUS vintage Passenger's FLIGHT PACKET for World War II era TWA Airlines -- then called Transcontinental & Western Air, Inc. This packet contains multiple printed items handed out in a folded portfolio for the passenger to peruse in flight or keep upon departure. The airship was a Boeing 307 STRATOLINER - the first pressurized airliner - only 10 were ever built! This packet contains:

• A TWA DECAL with Art Deco era Stratoliner artwork
  • A folding 'Comments' letter to send to TWA
  • A brochure titled "It's a Way We Have in the U.S.A" about how the commercial airlines were all working together for the war effort.
  • "At Your Service," a brochure about in-flight amenities.
  • "Silence is the Order of the Day," a brochure concerning wartime gossiping.
  • "Civilians are Traveling by Air in the War Effort" and why brochure
  • "For Your Guidance" pamphlet explaining Civil Aeronautics Board positions during the war
  • A fold-out Fight Schedule effective Sept. 1, 1942
  • A large fold-out Routes Map and Flight Log

As the eBay seller reported: All items are in EXCELLENT near mint condition with only minor wrinkles from storage - no tears, stains, writing or repairs .. measures overall 10 1/4" x 4 1/8" when folded... an AMAZING Find for the dedicated collector. (Indeed!)

RBH

Bartender
Zemke Fan said:
Check out these goodies:

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

11.jpg
12.jpg

15.jpg

From the eBay listing:

Here is a FABULOUS vintage Passenger's FLIGHT PACKET for World War II era TWA Airlines -- then called Transcontinental & Western Air, Inc. This packet contains multiple printed items handed out in a folded portfolio for the passenger to peruse in flight or keep upon departure. The airship was a Boeing 307 STRATOLINER - the first pressurized airliner - only 10 were ever built! This packet contains:

• A TWA DECAL with Art Deco era Stratoliner artwork
  • A folding 'Comments' letter to send to TWA
  • A brochure titled "It's a Way We Have in the U.S.A" about how the commercial airlines were all working together for the war effort.
  • "At Your Service," a brochure about in-flight amenities.
  • "Silence is the Order of the Day," a brochure concerning wartime gossiping.
  • "Civilians are Traveling by Air in the War Effort" and why brochure
  • "For Your Guidance" pamphlet explaining Civil Aeronautics Board positions during the war
  • A fold-out Fight Schedule effective Sept. 1, 1942
  • A large fold-out Routes Map and Flight Log

As the eBay seller reported: All items are in EXCELLENT near mint condition with only minor wrinkles from storage - no tears, stains, writing or repairs .. measures overall 10 1/4" x 4 1/8" when folded... an AMAZING Find for the dedicated collector. (Indeed!)
Now that is sweet!!
THANK YOU for sharing with us!:eusa_clap

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Just bought an item...

on eBay from a Boeing fella deeply involved in the restoration... a finer bloke you'll never find! Photos to come. In the meantime, a TWA stewardess hat and wing the evaded my watchful eye. (DOUBLE DRAT!!)

Would have been a GREAT addition to my Stratoliner memorabilia collection:

Women's TWA stewardess cap from 1940s.

Sold for $148.49 on 10-24-2009 (silver wing alone worth $200)

C1.jpg

C2.jpg
I

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Just got a CD...

From the head Boeing engineer on the rebuild that documents the recovery and rebuild. There are 193 images!! Wow! Here's the interior of the Pan Am plane at the NASM, which is just how it appeared when originally delivered in 1940:

361.jpg

362.jpg

363.jpg

364.jpg

365.jpg

366.jpg

And two exterior shots:

348.jpg

351.jpg

Pretty darn cool, no?

Talbot

One Too Many
Loving the heck out of this thread

I saw the plane at NASM earlier this year and it is beautifull.

Sitting near a Lockheed Constellation and Wiley Posts Vega - wow!

Thanks for the interior shots. By my reckoning there are 185 left, yes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails