Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Fedoras

Griff

New in Town
Thinking of getting a straw fedora for summer and was wondering about sizing.
The fur felt I have is a tiny bit large but I understand with wear it will shrink to my head. I can't imagine straw does the same but I don't know. Can you guys educate me? If my felt is 7 1/4 and a bit large should I get a straw in 7 1/8?
I'm looking at the Stetson Milan Dega and the Dobbs Milan Naples straws.
Any info is appreciated.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Stetson and Dobbs milans (which I favor) don't tend to shrink easily, but be careful about getting something too tight. These hats don't have a lot of give. I have the same size issue, but I have come to like the looser feel on a hot day. [huh]

Now, if you end up looking at something else, like a panama or other softer straw with a leather sweatband, shrinkage will be more likely. It the leather more than the felt or straw that shrinks a hat size. For whatever reason, the milans you mention happen to be exceptions.

Jabos

A-List Customer
You might try "The Brothers Hat Shop" in Tulsa. They have some cheaper straws and you can try for size. They are very nice and helpful.

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
The Stetson and Dobbs milans (which I favor) don't tend to shrink easily, but be careful about getting something too tight. These hats don't have a lot of give. I have the same size issue, but I have come to like the looser feel on a hot day. [huh]

Now, if you end up looking at something else, like a panama or other softer straw with a leather sweatband, shrinkage will be more likely. It the leather more than the felt or straw that shrinks a hat size. For whatever reason, the milans you mention happen to be exceptions.

I have a hard time with my hat size. I seem to fall somewhere in between a 6 7/8 and a 7. It also depends on the hat maker. I've got an Akubra 55(6 7/8) that fits perfect. But my vintage Resistol, and vintage Churchill Milan straw are both a bit too snug at the same size. Then I have some 7's that fit perfectly, and a Royal Stetson size 7 that's too loose![huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart