Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw hat ribbons

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
As it is the time of year to start switching to straw hats I've been seeking them out (and have purchased a few) on eBay. It struck me the other day that quite often the ribbons on straw hats are a bit less informal than those of felt hats. They tend to be a bit more colorful, often striped. Since the straws are a replacement for the felt hats in warmer weather rather than simply a hat intended for weekends or vacations, I thought it a bit odd. You don't normally see felt hats with multicolored ribbons, so I wonder why do they appear on straws?

The only thing I could think of was that the coming of spring brings a lightening of the general mood, a spring in the step, a bit of jauntiness that calls for a less formal ribbon. Of course, it could simply be that a straw hat in itself is considered informal.

Just musings on a spring day.

Cheers,
Tom

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
The only thing I could think of was that the coming of spring brings a lightening of the general mood, a spring in the step, a bit of jauntiness that calls for a less formal ribbon. Of course, it could simply be that a straw hat in itself is considered informal.

I believe you have something there Sir!! Although, the traditional Panama is black ribbon, on occasoin midnite blue. But, being summer, it needs to have some whimsy...doesn't it?

duggap

Banned
Black ribbon

I was reading, on another site, that the black ribbon on Panama hats was started in England in the mid 1800's as a sign of mourning for one of the Royal family who had passed away. It caught on and has become traditional. By the way the latest panama blocks from Art are great and his personal touch on the ribbon was wonderful. I am definitely ordering one of them.:p

Topper

Vendor
Hat bands are for hiting the sewing around the brim. hough for centuries have been used as decoative.

Victorians were resposnible in bringing many "traditions" or "meanings" to common practices.

Hatbands (especially toppers) have one of 2 types - Morning or Petersham

Morning: Bands are made of 2 materials: Black Felt (anytime) or Black Crepe (funeral).
Petersham: A form of Grosgrain with scalloped edges.

As far as coloured ribbon/hatbands for staws these vary. The Common Blue/darkred/Blue seen on most boaters is actually "Guards" Regiment. Other Ribbon colours from Panamas include Green & Purple (Wimbledon).

A purest woudl say you should only wear these colours if you are a member fo the actual Club. Hence the use of black as standard universal wear.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I ordered a Panama from PanamaBob last winter and it's nice. Had I known that Art does Panama's also I would have ordered from him for a better fit.
Of course hindsight is always 20/20, but there is the next time.

Jeff

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
From here on in...

Hemingway Jones said:
optimopanamabn3.jpg
We're going to have to call Hem: "Madras-Boy." ;)

spiridon

A-List Customer
Thank you Sir! When Art sent a picture of the ribbon shown in my avatar....for some reason I immediately thought "Optimo"! ....and to my delight, it turned out just as I had hoped.:)

Topper

Vendor
spiridon said:
Thank you Sir! When Art sent a picture of the ribbon shown in my avatar....for some reason I immediately thought "Optimo"! ....and to my delight, it turned out just as I had hoped.:)

"Optimo" is nothing to do with the ribbon. Optimo refers to the ridge in the crown of the hat that is traditionally there for allowing the hat to be folded in on itself along the crease and then rolled for travellind rolled-up

warbird

One Too Many
Topper said:
"Optimo" is nothing to do with the ribbon. Optimo refers to the ridge in the crown of the hat that is traditionally there for allowing the hat to be folded in on itself along the crease and then rolled for travellind rolled-up

I think he was saying, when he saw a picture of the ribbon he thought the style it would go best with would be an optimo. I am certain Jon is aware of what optimo means. He has quite the collection of panamas. And the crease is actually not to allow the hat to be rolled up. It was a natural crease which developed many years ago as a result of folks rolling them up. The crease because synonymous with that style. I wouldn't necessarily make a practice of rolling up a nice montecristi optimo.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
warbird said:
I think he was saying, when he saw a picture of the ribbon he thought the style it would go best with would be an optimo. I am certain Jon is aware of what optimo means. He has quite the collection of panamas. And the crease is actually not to allow the hat to be rolled up. It was a natural crease which developed many years ago as a result of folks rolling them up. The crease because synonymous with that style. I wouldn't necessarily make a practice of rolling up a nice montecristi optimo.
Awesome avatar there Warbird....I'm a big fan of the old Warbirds myself, and the Corsair is definitely my all time favorite, with it's gulled wings. I'm also impressed w/the Mustang as well. Sorry to get OT guys. :rolleyes:

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tango Yankee said:
On eBay, of course!

27c5_1.JPG

Maybe by the time it gets here it'll be warm enough to wear straws again. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Tom
That's a beauty, great find, I have about 12 hrs. left to go on a real nice Straw Dobbs myself, I'm really hoping I get it....will post a pic if I do, I have a hard time though because of my hat size, I have a very small head (21")....and being bald doesn't help matters much either. Wish me luck.

mikepara

Practically Family
Topper said:
British "Guards" Regimental band.

Pip-pip

Doug

Don't be seen wearing a Brigade of Guards hat band unless you are / where a Guardsman. Such bad form, don't you know.:eek:

Some 6'6" ex Sergeant Major will surely come over and have a kind word.;)

I know quite a few who live in Coldstream, I could pass an address on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran