Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hats or Felt

Firemanpc

New in Town
Is it still proper to wear straw hats now that Labor Day has passed? I live in in NJ and it is still warm enough to wear the straw hats.

hatted

One of the Regulars
Dude!

In a world where the few, the brave intrepid souls go out hatted, can we really bother with seasonal hat sensibilities? I say, wear the hat you need to wear when you need to wear it! (I wear straw when the temperature, not Miss manners, dictates)

babs

A-List Customer
As another newb who just broke out his Dobbs straw last weekend, I saw straw-away. Straw to keep your noggin cool. Felt to keep it warm.

Infact, I made my real 1st trek in a hat this weekend at a local town festival and labor day parade, and I can say it was actually a bit odd at first.. By the end of the heat of the day, I was glad for the shade. I probably won't break out the felt's until the temp drops a good bit, when in a former life (ie. last fall/winter) I'd grab a ball-cap of choice. Looking forward to cooler weather now.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Personally I agree with temerature dictating, but look around and the trend towards felt is increasing...it`s an odd feeling sticking to straw :eek:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I vastly prefer wearing felt, but my body disagrees. I'll be in straw for a while yet. It's not like anyone but us really knows this "rule" about Labor Day, anyhow. Right?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
All hats, felt, straw or whatever, will make your head sweat on a hot day. Straws are obviously more popular in summer because they're lighter. In fact, some straws are so light they feel like they're made of paper (and some are!).

So it's all a matter of degrees - literally. Wear what you like wearing and feel comfortable in. That's the only rule that matters. I know very few Aussie cowboys who wear straw even in the middle of a 40 degree (Celsius) summer. They wear felt all year round, regardless of the heat.

Me? I prefer felt most of the time and I have some lighter felt hats that are very comfortable in summer - though a day at the cricket requires one to don a broad brmmed straw. Akubra of course!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'm definitely feeling the fur-felt-itch by now (I get this way every year where I become much more eager to wear my felt hats than my straw hats, even though its not quite cool enough). Overall, even though I like my straw hats, I definitely like and prefer my fur felts.

Still, I let temperature dictate. The climate varies so much from place to place, that you can't merely go off of a specific date to decide what to wear.

It's still straw weather here as far as I'm concerned, but I should be able to begin my rotation in another month.

jpbales

Practically Family
I'm wearing straw right now... indoors... sitting down... and nobody around even knows the difference anyway!

Bassman

A-List Customer
As a fellow New Jersyian (?), I thought I'd let temperature dictate but I DID pack up the straws today and break out the fur felt. It HAS gotten a LITTLE cooler.:)
Happy to be back in fur!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael