Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw pole - how many of you wear lids whilst driving?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Always on my head except to sleep.

Hat on head out the door and it stays on my head in the car etc. If its not a Fedora Its A custom made Cap.

Florida lousy dress code. There isn't one!! :cry:

colorblind

New in Town
too tall

I am too tall to wear a hat in my truck.

this is a digression or maybe an urban legend....once there was a Arizona DPS patrolman that would sit on I-10, wearing his smokey hat and sunglasses, he would roll the window up on the brim and sleep with the hat supporting his head. That is about the only good use for a smokey hat other than rolling down the highway in a good wind.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I sometimes wear a stocking cap to beddy bye when it is chilly out. Cuts down on the chill and I never get colds and congestion when I wear caps to bed.

So, I guess you could say I do wear one to sleep, except on really warm nights.

karol

Richard

Familiar Face
hate cars, loves bikes

but when im in the car, i notice my brim keeps hitting the headrest unless i sit forward. more flexible hat is better?

Merlin

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Simple. Remove the headrest. I hate those things anyway. Like you ever really rest your head on it while driving. It's a car not a couch. :p

Regards to all,

J

I'd think twice before doing that; a headrest can help avoid a potential neck injury in the event that you're rear-ended. I had the misfortune of being hit while driving my '63 Caddy Sedan DeVille by some jackass in a Ford F-250 who was talking on his cellphone. The guy didn't even slow down; he hit me square in the back, and it crumpled a third of the trunk like an accordion. Since the Caddy has a flat bench seat in the front with no headrests, my head just about bounced off the back of the seat. While I didn't have a full-blown concussion, I did feel woozy, then sleepy, then headachey for about a week. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything; it's much easier to fix the brim of your hat than to fix your neck.

My 2 cents.

Merlin said:
I'd think twice before doing that; a headrest can help avoid a potential neck injury in the event that you're rear-ended. I had the misfortune of being hit while driving my '63 Caddy Sedan DeVille by some jackass in a Ford F-250 who was talking on his cellphone. The guy didn't even slow down; he hit me square in the back, and it crumpled a third of the trunk like an accordion. Since the Caddy has a flat bench seat in the front with no headrests, my head just about bounced off the back of the seat. While I didn't have a full-blown concussion, I did feel woozy, then sleepy, then headachey for about a week. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything; it's much easier to fix the brim of your hat than to fix your neck.

I suppose you have a point. None of my cars have a headrest though and I have never had that problem. Then again none of them have seatbelts either. :p Those head rests feel pretty hard though. I wonder if hitting them pretty hard might just give you a concussion alone. ;)
The craziest thing I have ever heard happen was with my father in his 1956 Ford Pickup. A damned hippie in a VW hit him from behind and his head hit the back glass window hard enough to break it. :eek: No concussion but a decent cut. The bug was a total loss. I think the guy had to get out with the jaws of life or something because it folded up like a cardboard box. I think he had a broken leg or two as well. The truck had a scratch on the bumper. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112